Community Conversation > Female to male transsexual talk (FTM)

Been on T for three years, voice is lower but...not manly

(1/1)

Sawney1000000:
Hi! Ive been on T for 3 years now and its been amazing. I love my facial hair as it gets me correctly gendered every time people see it. However ever since this pandemic started and Ive had to cover it with a mask I realized the reason so many people misgender me lately is because of my voice...Its certainly lower than when I started, but it still sounds "womanly"...Is there anything I can do about this?

Maid Marion:
Yes you can.  Voice is more than just pitch.  Women modulate their voices more than men.  They also use more words to say the same thing.  I had Speech Therapy to learn to properly modulate my voice.  It helped me gender my voice correctly.

Rise and fall of speech with loudness versus pitch.

Marion

Nadine Spirit:
A voice being perceived as male or female has to do with more than just pitch.  Plenty of women of lower pitched voices and they are still perceived as feminine for a large variety of reasons.  During my voice therapy I learned about so many other things besides just pitch. 

Trans males are often not thought of as taking voice therapy as the T will just naturally lower your voice, but y'all need it just as much as trans women do. (normally) 

Ryuichi13:
Is there any voice therapists that specialize in transgender voice therapy near you?  Unless someone says in their youtube description that they are one, I wouldn't trust anyone's video.  Many men have had vocal damage because of some well-meaning video makers.

Instead, look for someone that has had specific training.

Ryuichi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version