Author Topic: Patches  (Read 709 times)

Offline ramilove

Patches
« on: January 20, 2021, 05:28:57 pm »
 I started on the patches today, the dosing is related to size? I have the largest dose and this thing is huge. The areas recommended in the drug literature for location, back side of hip or appendix area interferes with clothing, is in an areas that would chaff or have deposits of loose fat,  so I ended up using the top of my thigh where skin is taught and I could get the thing to stick. At 67 years old I suppose I really do not have many other options, Gels, implants ...
Electrolysis 3/4/2020
Estradiol 3/10/2020

Offline Jessica_Rose

Re: Patches
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 06:22:32 pm »
I have been using patches for a few years. Mine are the strongest ones made by Sandoz, but they are only 25mm x 40mm (1in x 1.6in). I've found that wetting the area down with baby oil for about 5 minutes after removing the patch makes the adhesive much easier to remove. I'm considering injections because I'm really tired of the time it takes to get the adhesive off.

Love always -- Jessica Rose

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 08:00:25 pm »
Patches are considered the safest delivery method for older women like us.

Any hair free area is acceptable for applying a patch. Of course, avoid any area where the skin folds over and keep rotating the site.

Brand name patches seem to be better tolerated as far as staying on the skin and leaving little residue. Generic patches, while much cheaper, seem to have more issues.

There are several delivery methods available, because we all have our own preferences. If patches are not for you, then injections are the next most popular.  Topical creams are messy and tend to rub off easily. Pellets are expensive and must be inserted by your doctor.

I use sublingual Estradiol. I know the risks and I am taking measures to minimize those risks.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline ramilove

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 10:10:09 am »
After the First night with the patch, I do not even know it is there. Any special precautions when showering, bathing, sauna, steam room, sun bathing, swimming.
Electrolysis 3/4/2020
Estradiol 3/10/2020

Offline Jessica_Rose

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 10:23:50 am »
You should prep the area first. Make sure there is no hair in the way, then use an alcohol swab to make sure there are no oils or lotions in the area. Once you apply the patch, put some pressure on it with the heel of your hand for 20 - 30 seconds. I exercise quite a bit and perspire profusely, but my patches never surrender until I peel them off. If the patches refuse to cooperate, check with your doctor to see if they can prescribe a different brand which may have better adhesive. I normally stick the patches a few inches below and on either side of my belly button. Good luck!

Love always -- Jessica Rose

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 11:52:17 am »
I found the Evorel brand good when I used them. They survived swimming, showers, baths, cycling, running, and stayed firm.

I would always give the area a shave and a good clean and cleanse before applying. X

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

"Life is a travelling to the edge of knowledge, then a leap taken." - D. H. Lawrence

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 12:29:57 pm »
For me gel was by far the best method.. and one not mentioned yet on here?

I got fed up with all the sticky residue and I also had a few spots appear sometimes  with patches..  Injections do not seem to give me a nice level dose over their course...
With gel, it seems so easy, just rub into the skin, let it dry (it's quick) and that is it.. I guess the downside is gel doesn't survive swimming or showers, but I shower first thing before applying it.. and I can't remember the last time I went swimming..

Just my 2 cents...
:)
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 08:40:39 pm »
For me gel was by far the best method.. and one not mentioned yet on here?

I did mention Topical Creams, which technically are not a gel, but they are used in the same way.

We are fortunate that we have so many choices today.  ;D

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 04:30:03 am »
Back in November, I started with the Sandoz brand, but into my first box, I had two of them that started peeling off (and, the spot on my skin was good, I know that!)

I switched over to Estradot, and I definitely prefer them.  They stay on, and, it's a smaller patch but the same dosage (granted, Sandoz would be better than nothing, but I'm glad other brands exist).
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

(Yes, I'm a Canadian who served in the US Navy....)

Offline pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 08:57:43 am »
Hello again Ramilove

I am 65 and hence similar age to you and agree with others that you have the option of E-Gel.

I was 21 months on Evorel Patches but due to shortage in UK in 2019, changed to E-Gel.

Fortunately I have had no problems with either Evorel Patches or Sandrena E-Gel.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Carla68

• Friend
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 11:44:41 am »
Hi All,

I was on Evorell Patches which the instructions said had to go below waist they were about 2.5cm x 2.5cm square i put first one on inner thigh and it hurt like hell switched to butt and they were fine. I also had to switch to Estradot due to UK shortages they go between belly button and waist and are super tiny
I have switched to Dutch Healthcare and they don't do Estradot so now on Sandoz for last 6 months they are huge 8cm x 5cm oval I have trouble find skin between belly button and waist that has had a rest

The patches don't seem to come off once on the important thing is not to try and reposition them you get one chance to stick them on that's it

Enjoy your HRT

Carla
Carla

Offline Carla68

• Friend
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 11:49:18 am »
Oooh forgot to say that Estradot is made by Novartis and that Sandoz is a Division of the Novartis group
Carla

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 12:38:55 pm »
I am now on Pprogynova  (BAYER) 2 x twice weekly and I just put them on my thigh high up and to the front swopping left to right every 3 1/2 days. Never had one fall off, in fact they are hard to pull off. Glue residue around edges is a pain but found rubbing it will make it ball up and come off.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever.
I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Offline ramilove

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 10:35:50 am »
My first best effort at a once a week estradiol patch is going to make it four days, not too bad for the first attempt. I have a three month supply  and at this rate will last two months.
Electrolysis 3/4/2020
Estradiol 3/10/2020

Offline Wendi

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 03:20:56 pm »
I started wearing my patches just above my genital area but I was having problems keeping them on. Likely from the flexing there.

Lately I've been putting them on my butt just under the pantie line. They stay in place much better. To prep the surface I use a cotton ball with alcohol and throughouly clean the area before putting them on.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Started HRT 1/3/2019

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2021, 05:06:58 pm »
That is what I do using 3 small rectangular Mylan patches.  I move them every change I move them each change from center back to almost around the front keeping the patches below the waistline.  Only rarely do I get one that comes off too soon.  I just put it back where it belongs and secure it with a large Band-Aid.
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline KateR

• Kate
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2021, 11:42:35 pm »
My pharmacy, even though my endo has allowed generic substitutions, dispenses Climera.  I’ve had very few problems.

In the summer, if I do something that causes a lot of sweating, I might have one come loose.  I’ll put a Tegaderm dressing over the top and that keeps it stuck until change day.

I generally don’t have to do much to clean off the adhesive residue.  Any that may be left over almost alway washes off after a couple of day.  Maybe once in a while I’ll rub the area with some Avon Skin So Soft to really clean off any old residue.

Finally, I place them on my hip where the skin doesn’t move much, and their covered by my underwear and alternate sides each week.
Kate

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2021, 07:20:20 am »
I have not tried the patches.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2021, 04:09:41 pm »
I use gel, it is bar far the best for me, no patches to remove, fall off, or hide under clothes, just apply and 10 mins it’s dry and get on with the day

Jessica xx

Tags: