Author Topic: Perceptions and Motivations for Uterus Transplant in Transgender Women  (Read 341 times)

Offline Laura1951

Perceptions and Motivations for Uterus Transplant in Transgender Women

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2775302

JAMA by Benjamin P. Jones, BSc (Hons)1,2; Abirami Rajamanoharan, BSc (Hons)1; Saaliha Vali, BSc (Hons)1,2; et al on January 20, 2021

Question  What are the perceptions and motivations of transgender women for uterus transplant?

Findings  This survey study of 182 transgender women found that to more than 90% of the respondents indicated that uterus transplant may improve quality of life in transgender women, alleviate dysphoric symptoms, and enhance feelings of femininity.
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)  |  My BA Journey 

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Full Time since 11/27/20

Offline Rachel Montgomery

• Family
Re: Perceptions and Motivations for Uterus Transplant in Transgender Women
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 10:39:07 am »
I only want a uterus so I can carry a child.  I would LOVE to be pregnant and have a baby.

For me, the uterus would just be for that purpose, and once the baby is delivered (c section), it would probably be removed.  It isn’t something I would want to take anti-rejection medication for long term, just to say I have one.  “I had a child” would be plenty good enough for me.

If I can’t get pregnant (through insemination) or can’t carry the child to term, then there would be no point for me to acquire a uterus.

• Family
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 10:42:22 am »
I am actually too old to have a baby.  Not literally too old to carry one, but too old to be it’s mother.  At this point, I am at more the stage of life of being a “grandmother”.

Offline Anastasia

• Friend
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 12:33:23 pm »
I'll start be saying I'm a science fiction fan so this may seem far fetched, but a lot of today's science was the sci-fi science of Star Trek (The Original Series).

What if science were able to grow a uterus for transplant or use your DNA to grow the complete reproductive system in you/for you? This is serious research for heart, lung and liver replacement and there are plenty of cis-women who would benifit as well as trans-women.

Interesting article though. Touches on what society feels makes a woman a woman. These are my observations and I am not trying to validate or invalidate anybody's feelings. Trans-women feel that a functioning uterus and vagina would increase their feelings of femininity. Womens rights say they are not their vaginas/uteruses and those organs don't define what a woman is. Infertile women feel like less of a woman. Three different, yet valid feelings.

For me personally, I too am too old to be a mother to a newborn. If I were 21, I would consider a transplant to be a valid option. In my sci-fi world of having my own female reproductive system, I'll get that ASAP.

• Family
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 01:37:31 pm »
If that were possible, I’d like to be entirely female.

Tags: