Author Topic: Perceptions and Motivations for Uterus Transplant in Transgender Women  (Read 168 times)

Offline Laura1951

Perceptions and Motivations for Uterus Transplant in Transgender Women

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2775302

JAMA by Benjamin P. Jones, BSc (Hons)1,2; Abirami Rajamanoharan, BSc (Hons)1; Saaliha Vali, BSc (Hons)1,2; et al on January 20, 2021

Question  What are the perceptions and motivations of transgender women for uterus transplant?

Findings  This survey study of 182 transgender women found that to more than 90% of the respondents indicated that uterus transplant may improve quality of life in transgender women, alleviate dysphoric symptoms, and enhance feelings of femininity.
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline Rachel Montgomery

• Friend
Re: Perceptions and Motivations for Uterus Transplant in Transgender Women
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 10:39:07 am »
I only want a uterus so I can carry a child.  I would LOVE to be pregnant and have a baby.

For me, the uterus would just be for that purpose, and once the baby is delivered (c section), it would probably be removed.  It isn’t something I would want to take anti-rejection medication for long term, just to say I have one.  “I had a child” would be plenty good enough for me.

If I can’t get pregnant (through insemination) or can’t carry the child to term, then there would be no point for me to acquire a uterus.

• Friend
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 10:42:22 am »
I am actually too old to have a baby.  Not literally too old to carry one, but too old to be it’s mother.  At this point, I am at more the stage of life of being a “grandmother”.

Offline Anastasia

• Friend
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 12:33:23 pm »
I'll start be saying I'm a science fiction fan so this may seem far fetched, but a lot of today's science was the sci-fi science of Star Trek (The Original Series).

What if science were able to grow a uterus for transplant or use your DNA to grow the complete reproductive system in you/for you? This is serious research for heart, lung and liver replacement and there are plenty of cis-women who would benifit as well as trans-women.

Interesting article though. Touches on what society feels makes a woman a woman. These are my observations and I am not trying to validate or invalidate anybody's feelings. Trans-women feel that a functioning uterus and vagina would increase their feelings of femininity. Womens rights say they are not their vaginas/uteruses and those organs don't define what a woman is. Infertile women feel like less of a woman. Three different, yet valid feelings.

For me personally, I too am too old to be a mother to a newborn. If I were 21, I would consider a transplant to be a valid option. In my sci-fi world of having my own female reproductive system, I'll get that ASAP.

• Friend
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 01:37:31 pm »
If that were possible, I’d like to be entirely female.

Tags: