Author Topic: Biden executive order says schools should include transgender athletes ...  (Read 352 times)

Offline Laura1951

Biden executive order says schools should include transgender athletes in girls' sports

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-executive-order-schools-transgender-athletes-girls-sports

FoxNews byMorgan Phillips on January 21, 2021

President Biden, in an executive order aimed at "preventing and combating discrimination on the basis of gender identity or sexual orientation," is calling on schools across the country to allow transgender athletes to participate in the sport of their gender identity.

"Children should be able to learn without worrying about whether they will be denied access to the restroom, the locker room, or school sports," reads the new order, released on the first day of his presidency. 

The order is a strong signal that the Justice Department is going to enforce it via Title IX -- and schools that don’t comply risk losing funding. 
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline LaRae

• "No one ever wetted clay and then left it, as if there would be bricks by chance and fortune."
  • Friend
At last.

There have been huge steps taken in just the last 2 days. Now, the battle will be to keep them, & not have the next administration try to dismantle all this good.
"Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour and it can never be used to hurt you."

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
At last.

There have been huge steps taken in just the last 2 days. Now, the battle will be to keep them, & not have the next administration try to dismantle all this good.

That's the problem with doing things by executive order...they're worth exactly the price of the paper they're written on. We need legislation, rather than bypassing legislation with a quick fix.
Veteran, US Army

Offline tgchar21

• Friend
Also don't forget that these actions may be challenged in a Trump-packed federal court.

Offline Zumbagirl

• Family
It will be interesting to see if courts expand the scope of the title vii Bostock vs Clayton County, Georgia decision or would take this case on just its own merits. I really don't see courts allowing such broad language to exist like this and would probably come to a narrowly tailored decision. So narrow in fact that no one will like the outcome. I don't think a broadly worded EO like this will stand up to scrutiny in a court. But we shall see how the statute gets interpreted.

Offline RandyL

• On the way
I see this as a statement of direction and support, but without any actual effect. Basically using the "bully pulpit" of the presidency to lead. I agree that ultimately there needs to be legislation that makes this explicit. But I despair of ever seeing it pass as long as it takes 60 votes in the senate. I think state-level legislation has better chances, as we have in Colorado.
Casting about for my best path forward...

My personal blog thread: Randy the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randy's HRT Journal

Offline ramilove

Transgender athletes must be allowed to compete. The current system based upon two genders, male/female is outdated and in need of neutering (latin: for neither sex). Times have changed and the athletic competition system needs to adapt by the adding an open class in which anybody regardless of sex or gender can compete.
Electrolysis 3/4/2020
Estradiol 3/10/2020

Offline Zumbagirl

• Family
Transgender athletes must be allowed to compete. The current system based upon two genders, male/female is outdated and in need of neutering (latin: for neither sex). Times have changed and the athletic competition system needs to adapt by the adding an open class in which anybody regardless of sex or gender can compete.

I would get behind a 3rd class of athletic competition especially at the teenager age bracket. If we wanted a male/female/anything goes category then fine. Just remember that the boys will take home the trophies. But you can't remove the sex bracket. There are differences even if you refuse to acknowledge it that needs to keep males and females in different groups for sports. If we can't put actual real science behind it then we shouldn't be doing this.

Tags: