Author Topic: This Is What Is At Stake When We Talk About Transgender Athletes  (Read 584 times)

Offline Laura1951

This Is What Is At Stake When We Talk About Transgender Athletes

https://www.wbur.org/cognoscenti/2021/01/26/transgender-athletes-joe-biden-executive-order-military-stephen-lane

WBUR by Stephen Lane on January 26, 2021

In 1977, Renee Richards, the former captain of the Yale tennis team, lost to Virginia Wade in straight sets in the first round of the U.S. Open tennis tournament. The match was noteworthy only because Richards, a 42-year-old ophthalmologist, had originally been denied entry into the tournament by the United States Tennis Association because she had undergone sexual reassignment surgery in 1975.

It took a ruling by the New York State Supreme Court for her to gain her rightful place in the draw.
“When you’re ready, start living your truth. That’s when the magic happens.”

One New Life to Live (My personal blog)  |  My BA Journey   |  Laura's HRT Journal 

Full Time since 11/27/20  |  Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Pammie

Re: This Is What Is At Stake When We Talk About Transgender Athletes
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 12:56:55 pm »
This Is What Is At Stake When We Talk About Transgender Athletes

https://www.wbur.org/cognoscenti/2021/01/26/transgender-athletes-joe-biden-executive-order-military-stephen-lane

WBUR by Stephen Lane on January 26, 2021

In 1977, Renee Richards, the former captain of the Yale tennis team, lost to Virginia Wade in straight sets in the first round of the U.S. Open tennis tournament. The match was noteworthy only because Richards, a 42-year-old ophthalmologist, had originally been denied entry into the tournament by the United States Tennis Association because she had undergone sexual reassignment surgery in 1975.

It took a ruling by the New York State Supreme Court for her to gain her rightful place in the draw.
I know im probably out of sync with most on here but....... I think going through the wrong puberty does create undeniable physical advantages for MTF women. It really is not a level playing field and I feel we should acknowledge that too. Just my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 10:46:48 pm »
I know that at 2 years HRT, 67 years old, and post op, I am still stronger than any woman I know. I am big boned, and can take a hit harder than any woman I know. I have poor hand / eye co ordination, and have never beaten my ex wife at tennis or pool. I could not in good conscience, compete as a woman in sports where strength and hard physical contact was involved.

I think trans people in sport is a divisive and harmful issue to the whole trans community, and nobody wins this discussion. I believe trans people should have the right to do as cis people do, but I also believe there can be unfair advantages. Both cis and trans competitors are right, but the discussion hurts all trans people. Unfortunately, someone has to lose in this debate.

Hugs,

Allie

Offline Lagdim

• Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 05:10:51 pm »
It really depends on the person. Some never even went through a testosterone-laden puberty, having begun transition in their teens and begun anti-puberty drugs before then. For those lucky girls and enbies, there is no physical advantage in sports. There are also transfemmes who began transition well past puberty, but who were genetically predisposed to not putting on muscle, and there are those for whom transition absolutely sapped their strength.

I would suggest looking up Riley Roshong Grace. She's a streamer who does a lot of trans-related research and advocacy. She has a very well-researched document on trans sports

Tags: