Author Topic: Aetna grows coverage for gender-affirming surgeries for transgender women  (Read 1091 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Laura1951

  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 899
  • Reputation: +16/-0
  • Gender: Female
Aetna grows coverage for gender-affirming surgeries for transgender women

Fierce Healthcare by Paige Minemyer on January 27, 2021

Aetna is expanding coverage for gender-affirming surgeries for transgender women.

The insurer will now cover gender-affirming breast augmentation in most of its commercial plans, the CVS Health subsidiary announced this week. The change came as a result of a collaboration between Aetna, the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund (TLDEF), Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll law firm and several transgender Aetna members.
“When you’re ready, start living your truth. That’s when the magic happens.”

One New Life to Live (My personal blog)  |  My BA Journey   |  Laura's HRT Journal 

Full Time since 11/27/20  |  Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline JamieH

  • *
  • Posts: 360
  • Reputation: +5/-0
  • Gender: Female
we need legislation that insurers don't get to decide what is medically necessary or not and leave that to the doctors.  If a doctor prescribes a treatment it should be covered, period.  Good step by Aetna but not nearly far enough. 

It's like telling people ok we'll put a stent in your arteries that will open them by 20% but the other 80% isn't medically necessary so you have to come out of pocket for a bigger stent if you want to like really not have a heart attack.

The argument that its' too much money and will raise everyone's premiums etc is baloney.  Trans people are what, 0.5% of the population based on best estimates (surely higher but for argument's sake).  Some don't seek any surgery, some only a few, and some full boat.  Paying for trans people's care is barely a rounding error on their books.