Author Topic: 2020’s hard lessons in public health pessimism  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Asche

• Family
  • Non-binary M2F
2020’s hard lessons in public health pessimism
« on: February 01, 2021, 05:09:06 am »
2020’s hard lessons in public health pessimism

https://genderanalysis.net/2020/12/2020s-hard-lessons-in-public-health-pessimism/

By Zinnia Jones, on her blog Gender Analysis
December 31, 2020

...what I learned in 2020 is that the public’s grasp of transness or lack thereof may not be as special as I believed. The widespread failure to comprehend our lives and the relevant health-related information may simply be an instance of a more general inability or unwillingness to do so – even when a given health issue [the COVID-19 epidemic] affects cis people and everyone around them, even when it’s a matter of life or death, even when basic facts are readily available and broadly agreed upon by medical authorities.

"...  I think I'm great just the way I am, and so are you." -- Jazz Jennings

Complex PTSD

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
Re: 2020’s hard lessons in public health pessimism
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 12:16:49 pm »
Most folks can't or won't look at things from another's perspective and unless they experience it, not only do they don't know what they don't know, but likely they don't want to.
"No, her mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
She knows changes aren't permanent
But change is"

Neil Peart

Offline RandiL

• Call me Rayna. Formerly Randi
  • On the way
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 09:14:17 pm »
Thanks Asche. Zinnia Jones is a perceptive writer.

That said, I think her blog entry focuses on the negative without acknowledging that many of us do find empathic support from cis people, just as many, even most, people wear masks, keep their distance and respect closures.
Forging my new, best life as Rayna

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Offline Asche

• Family
  • Non-binary M2F
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 09:27:08 am »
... I think her blog entry focuses on the negative without acknowledging that many of us do find empathic support from cis people, just as many, even most, people wear masks, keep their distance and respect closures.

I don't think she meant that nobody supports us.  I believe that the goal of her blog was to increase acceptance of trans people by presenting the people who don't accept us with evidence that they are wrong.  That is, that the cis people who buy into the transphobic slanders simply need to be educated.

The "hard lesson" that she speaks of is that most people who hold unreasonable beliefs aren't going to have their minds changed by evidence or logical argument.  If a huge fraction of the USA population (and maybe elsewhere, too) insists on holding onto an irrational belief even when doing so kills them, there isn't much hope of getting them to let go of their transphobia (which doesn't harm them) simply by educating them.

What seems likely to change attitudes most is simply cis people knowing trans people personally.  I recall that what really changed public attitudes towards gay people (esp. gay men) was when so many gay men came out of the closet, in reaction to the AIDS epidemic.  I was constantly reading about families which initially had negative opinions of gay men (and/or lesbians) as long as they didn't know any personally, but turned around when a beloved member of the family came out as gay (especially if said family member was dying at the time.)

Complex PTSD

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 10:40:46 am »
Yes, small positive lessons.  That is how you educate people.

Be respectful and patient. 

Marion

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 11:08:32 am »
There was an excellent article in the military times about trans military folks. Maybe they'll lead the way towards acceptance as the military is a hallowed talisman of the right. Mark Twain wrote: “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

I think the key is in that statement. Such folks need to get out more and travel, even within our own country or we have to bring it to them I guess, which is fraught with it's own problems. Anyway, here is the military times article.

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2021/01/29/transgender-service-members-passed-the-test/

"No, her mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
She knows changes aren't permanent
But change is"

Neil Peart

Offline RandiL

• On the way
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 01:01:48 pm »
Thank you for pointing out my pessimism, @Asche. I didn't see much positive in Zinnia's post, but as you point out, the best results come when people get to know us. I agree with you and with the others -- personal experience of non-scary trans people will over time be the solution. This is one reason (the other being reality) that I won't go stealth -- I want to help the cause through my own personal example.

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

Pammie

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 01:21:03 pm »
Thank you for pointing out my pessimism, @Asche. I didn't see much positive in Zinnia's post, but as you point out, the best results come when people get to know us. I agree with you and with the others -- personal experience of non-scary trans people will over time be the solution. This is one reason (the other being reality) that I won't go stealth -- I want to help the cause through my own personal example.
This does make me feel guilty because I clearly am trying for stealth in my new job which is counter to the message of hope in this thread. My only defence is that I identify female rather than trans so im being true to myself (she says, defensively) . Sorry, bad Pammie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RandiL

• On the way
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 01:35:13 pm »
This does make me feel guilty because I clearly am trying for stealth in my new job which is counter to the message of hope in this thread. My only defence is that I identify female rather than trans so im being true to myself (she says, defensively) . Sorry, bad Pammie

Lol, it's Ok. To each her own, all paths are valid. I hope you're able to stay stealth.

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Pammie

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 01:42:00 pm »
Lol, it's Ok. To each her own, all paths are valid. I hope you're able to stay stealth.

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk
Thanks hun!

Offline Asche

• Family
  • Non-binary M2F
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 08:01:44 pm »
This does make me feel guilty because I clearly am trying for stealth in my new job which is counter to the message of hope in this thread. My only defence is that I identify female rather than trans so im being true to myself

No need to defend your choices.  None of us are you, with your needs and your strengths and weakness, and facing your own environment.  Some people can reinvent themselves as if they'd always lived as their identified gender,  some can't.  And some people live in environments where being "out" would cause them problems, whereas some people are in supportive environments.  It would be the height of arrogance for any of us (those who aren't you) to second-guess how you are living your life.

I'm "out" because hiding my history of living as a man and of transitioning was just too overwhelming to consider (I cannot keep a secret to save my life), and I'm in a place and social group which basically doesn't care that I'm trans, so being "out" came at very little cost.  My choice works for me, but it works for me largely because I am in a situation that is far more fortunate that most trans people's.

tl;dr:  YMMV.

Complex PTSD

Pammie

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 05:29:57 am »
No need to defend your choices.  None of us are you, with your needs and your strengths and weakness, and facing your own environment.  Some people can reinvent themselves as if they'd always lived as their identified gender,  some can't.  And some people live in environments where being "out" would cause them problems, whereas some people are in supportive environments.  It would be the height of arrogance for any of us (those who aren't you) to second-guess how you are living your life.

I'm "out" because hiding my history of living as a man and of transitioning was just too overwhelming to consider (I cannot keep a secret to save my life), and I'm in a place and social group which basically doesn't care that I'm trans, so being "out" came at very little cost.  My choice works for me, but it works for me largely because I am in a situation that is far more fortunate that most trans people's.

tl;dr:  YMMV.
Thanks hun, you are spot on there. Having read that I realise that feeling guilty is unnecessary and im actually feeling pretty good about that x

Tags: