Author Topic: The insurance fight is so demoralizing.  (Read 291 times)

Offline Macabre

• Visitor
The insurance fight is so demoralizing.
« on: February 06, 2021, 02:01:34 pm »
I'm a bit of a ghost around here, just posting in hope of finding some advice.

I've been in transition for a while now, on the hrt, already had some work done on my body (lipo/bbl/lips).

But oh my I really hate the concept of insurance requirements. I understand the doctors need it to protect themselves, but actually getting a base coverage has been an absolute nightmare.

I've worked and saved for years to pay out-of-pocket for my transition, and now that I have the funds, I'm brick walled by a company that has absolutely nothing to do with my transition.

Covid seems to have stalled out this process more for me than others here. I thought this would be a good time to heal, but everything just keeps getting delayed.

I hate complaining. I'm more than aware that others here are having their own troubles during the pandemic. I'm sure my problems are nothing compared to what others are experiencing. I'm just so frustrated.

Online Maid Marion

Re: The insurance fight is so demoralizing.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 02:56:58 pm »
Can you find another company or provider to do what you want?

One of the benefits of paying out of pocket is that you typically have more choices.
Some doctors work on referrals.  They only accept patients that are referrals from other doctors.
I think my oral surgeon works that way.  He explains everything and makes sure you understand your options.
I've always paid cash for his services.  If you are known for paying your bills it is much easier get referrals to the better doctors.

Marion

Offline Macabre

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 05:25:01 pm »
I've unfortunately had my heart set on one particular surgeon for a fairly long time. From all my research I've found someone that has a substantial amount of experience with zero depth so I'm not sure I should look for someone new after planning around him for so long.

Paying out of pocket has been helpful with some things but this particular place requires a base insurance. I've been unemployed for a while and have been looking into Aetna for private pay insurance but have had some issues with their customer service. They keep wanting me to wait till a new year, not returning calls, dead transfer drops, or really just acting dismissive. I'm hoping it's just been a run of bad customer service employees and not how the entire company works.

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 11:49:35 pm »
Yes, some places have a policy on requiring insurance to make sure they get paid.

I think my dentist was that way until I had a lot of dental work done and just wrote a big check.  ;)
Now they know I'm good for whatever the bill is.

Marion

Offline LuckyGal

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 01:17:14 pm »
Be strong, and don't let them get in your way, sometimes you just have to be hard, and uncompromising. The insurance companies are a nightmare, but once they realize they can't just push you around, and that you won't give up, you will get results. COVID has ruined so many of our plans, but I think it will get better.

Offline inenidok

• Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 08:18:58 am »
Well covid had stalled me out last year I did not have a problem with the insurance companies because I let my surgeons office handle it! After it was canceled twice last year. Lost jobs got new jobs new insurance I got mine bumped to next month you got to stay focused. But let your surgeon deal with the stress of insurance most of them have contacts inside the companies and get stuff done and fast! I am getting top and bottom done together, when last year it was only bottom, plus new insurance less out of pocket so my surgeon I have already paid in full! So you just got to stay focused. I changed surgeons twice, I found one that was real good and excepted insurance. But they do wpath and I had to find them!
Love love, be yourself live life for you. 12/21/17 is the start of a new me

Tags: