Author Topic: Creating Ellen's new life  (Read 5705 times)

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: Creating Ellen's new life
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2021, 04:22:07 pm »
@EllenW
Dear Ellen:
You will truly enjoy your Alaskan Cruise.... as most Alaska cruises are, you will be in Southeast Alaska (the Alaskan Panhandle) all of which is much farther south than the main body of the State of Alaska where I live.
Near the water and further South provides for milder temperatures, therefore the weather is not as Cold, and it is usually quite rainy along the inland waterways.

Glacier Bay is obviously the key attraction... as to the point that @RandiL made about having a Naturalist aboard, any ships entering Glacier Bay must have a "Naturalist" or qualified National Park advisor on board plus a Marine Pilot up on the Bridge of the ship.
With any luck you will see a Glacier calving a big hunk of ice into the bay.  Even though the cruise ship is big and quite a safe distance from the calving activity ... usually the ship will feel the waves and rock a little.

For your other stops in Southeast Alaska along the inside passage,
Ketchikan is very interesting and is the furthest south city,
just a little more north is town of Sitka, originally a Russian settlement, be sure to check out the old original Russian Orthodox Church and other historic sites. 
Then next up is Sitka and Silver Bay (named for Silver Salmon which is very abundant there along with various other fish breeds)...
...then a little further north is the the State Capitol of Juneau  ...
... be sure to take the Tram from the waterfront where the cruise ships dock to the top of Mt Roberts at 1800 ft elevation.  Very scenic views from up there, and at the top are more historical and native displays and exhibits.
Another excursion you may wish to do while in the Juneau area is to visit the nearby
                     Mendenhall Glacier
      https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

Lastly, if your specific cruise has it on it's sailing itinerary, is Skagway, a historic Gold Rush town... be sure to take the excursion, White Pass & Yukon Railroad ...
... old railroads of a vintage age run locomotives and cars through the Chilkoot Trail and treats you to terrific views during its upward trip toward and barely into the Yukon territory in Canada.  Check out the informative thread regarding the "Golden Staircase" that was used by prospectors in the Gold Rush in the late 1800's.  It was a brutal trail in the dead of winter, many turned back and some died attempting the trip up the steep trail.
                  Chilkoot Trail History - Klondike Gold Rush
    https://www.nps.gov/klgo/learn/historyculture/chilkoot-history.htm

Even though, during your trip you will be at some of the lower latitudes in Alaska...  at 55 deg to 58 deg latitudes I would expect that if the skies are clear you may still get some nice views of the Northern Lights when it finally gets dark... be on the lookout, it will be a spectacular site especially since your are a city girl from further down south.  Unfortunately in the inside passage in southeast Alaska it does rain a lot and the skies can be overcast many times.

I know that you will have a good time... even in September is could be quite cool up there so bring a sweater, hoodie or jacket along, and perhaps a compact umbrella.

I am glad to read what you stated: "After eight months of grieving I am ready to make changes and to start living my new life as a single women."  Obviously I mean no disrespect whatsoever for your wife Diane but I am certain that she would want you to go on living and attempting to enjoy your life.  You will always have your good memories of her and your life together... no one can take that away!!!

Are you going alone or bringing a friend???  The way that cruises charge their prices ... if you go alone you will be charged for double occupancy...
...plus having a friend along makes it a lot more fun.

I will be looking for your updates as you feel comfortable sharing them.
HUGS and HUGS,
Danielle

After eight months of grieving I am ready to make changes and to start living my new life as a single women. I will always remember Diane as the love of my life and miss her every day.  But I need to live and not just exist. I have not taken a vacation since Diane was diagnosed with cancer two years ago. I have taken days off work to go to our cabin and to take Diane to medical appointments. But we did not take a vacation.

Today I booked a cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line. I depart Seattle on September 11, it sails through the inland water of Alaska to Glacier Bay, Juneau and Ketchikan. Maybe I will get a chance to taste some of Danielle's wonderful baking that she always tells us about  ;D ;D

Ellen
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 10:28:33 pm by Northern Star Girl »
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline EllenW

« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2021, 09:38:07 am »
@Northern Star Girl

Danielle,

Thank you for all your tips on what to see while the ship is docked. I have been reviewing some of the shore excisions that they have and I will use your comments in helping me decide which ones to take. I am hoping to see part of the glacier fall into the see. That is one site Diane and I did not see when explored the glaciers in Canada.

If that Russian Orthodox Church is an ornate and beautiful as the ones I saw in the old Soviet Union, then it would definitely be worth the effort to see. It would be wonderful if I got a chance to see the northern lights.

Unfortunately, I do not have any friends to go with me. So yes, I am paying a premium as a single person.  One of my major goals for my new life is to make some friends.

And thanks for the HUGS

Ellen
Known all my life I was different
Started to live part time as my true self in 2010
HRT January 2018
Full time at work February 2018
Legal name and gender change January 2019
GCS - January 2021

Offline EllenW

« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2021, 10:47:35 am »
My niece called me yesterday to check in to see how I am doing. She has been calling that around the first of each month since Diane died. We talked bout how she heard from her mom and brother how it was a wonderful day when we scatted Diane's ashes at sea. She really wanted to come out but that week was full of family birthday's ( 2 of her daughters nd her granddaughter) so she just could not come out.

We then talked about the fact that I am taking a cruise. She was really excited about it. Her and her husband have taken a couple of Caribbean cruises. She said I should really enjoy myself. I said I was really looking forward to it and to meeting a lot of people as a single women. I told her that I am hoping that when I go the night club that there are single men there that would ask me to dance. She thought that would be a wonderful experience for me. She then set me a link of a dress from Dillard's that she believed would be great for me to wear to the night club.

It is so nice to have her support about me being her Aunt instead of being her uncle. If my family she is the only one that has discussed my transition, even through she has not seen me since I transition. Her bother who able to come out when we scatted Diane's ashes did not talk about it at all and never used the word Aunt. Her mother who has acknowledged my transition and uses the correct pronouns refuses to talk about why I transitioned.

Ellen.

HRT January 2018
GCS - January 2021

« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2021, 11:46:02 am »
@EllenW
Dear Ellen:
I so very much enjoyed reading your post regarding your recent phone call with your niece.

If you get the dress that she suggested and wear it during your cruise that will be very special indeed.
When and if you purchase the dress and try it on please share a photo with me and the rest of your avid followers.

FYI:  There is an unwritten rule here on the Forums....
    "Pictures or it didn't happen"        :) :o ;)

Obviously, only share your experiences and your picture if you feel comfortable doing so.
I know that you will very much enjoy your upcoming Alaska cruise.....

HUGS and more HUGS
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW

Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017

Offline EllenW

« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2021, 05:14:13 pm »
Afternoon early morning flight and waiting for my third Covid test to come to I finally made it on board the Norwegian encore. We’re still going to Port of Seattle do the sale at 5 PM Pacific. Here’s a picture of the view I have from my port balcony. Can a picture of the speedway track I think I’ll be spending some time there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HRT January 2018
GCS - January 2021

Offline EllenW

« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2021, 06:44:05 pm »
We have made it Icy Point  Alaska. It’s a cloudy cold day at least cold to the southern California girl. It’s probably very warm for Danielle

Photos to follow

Ellen

HRT January 2018
GCS - January 2021

Offline EllenW

« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2021, 06:56:02 pm »

HRT January 2018
GCS - January 2021

« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2021, 10:15:48 pm »
@EllenW
Dear Ellen:
Thank you for your Alaska Cruise update and photo.

I will be eagerly looking forward to your future updates and details
of your cruise and your on shore excursions.

I hope and trust that you are enjoying the sights up here in the 49th state of Alaska.

HUGS and enjoy your time and your
activities during your cruise.
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW

Offline Rachel Montgomery

• Family
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2021, 06:23:02 pm »
I'd love to go on that trip.  My wife and I have talked about it.  When you get back, please give me your review of the cruise line and the stops.

« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2021, 06:45:18 pm »
@Rachel Montgomery   cc: @EllenW
I'd love to go on that trip.  My wife and I have talked about it.  When you get back, please give me your review of the cruise line and the stops.
Dear Rachel:
I too am eagerly looking forward to Ellen posting her details of her Alaskan Cruise.
I am not exactly certain what stops and excurisions she had on her specific cruise
but I did outline some of the common sights and experiences on
my previous August 31st reply comment #121
on this thread.

HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW

Offline Rachel Montgomery

• Family
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2021, 09:48:15 pm »
@Rachel Montgomery   cc: @EllenWDear Rachel:
I too am eagerly looking forward to Ellen posting her details of her Alaskan Cruise.
I am not exactly certain what stops and excurisions she had on her specific cruise
but I did outline some of the common sights and experiences on
my previous August 31st reply comment #121
on this thread.

HUGS,
Danielle

Yes, I read that post.  It reminded me that a trip like this was on my bucket list.

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2021, 09:18:46 am »
Ellen, nice picture! Careful of those salmon up there. It felt to me like they were about as big as that monster over your head

My smartphone thinks it's smarter than me. It's probably right.

Forging my new, best life as Randi

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Offline EllenW

« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2021, 12:23:46 pm »

I’m finally able to connect again since I’m in Juneau. This is one of the many glaciers we saw in glacier Bay national Park. We saw plenty of wildlife a bear, and lots of Sea Otters, and one whale.

I’ll post more pictures of Juneau later.

Ellen

HRT January 2018
GCS - January 2021

« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2021, 12:43:13 pm »
@EllenW
Dear Ellen:
Thank you for checking in and updating all of us on your Alaskan Cruise.
I hope and trust that you are having an enjoyable time.

I think that the picture of the Glacier that you posted is at the far northern end of Glacier Bay... 
... if so, it is named  Grand Pacific Glacier ...

As you noted, you saw a lot of wildlife and sea life on your way up to Alaska in the inside passage and also up into Glacier Bay... lots of small islands where birds and Sea Otters can be seen... along with whales and dolphins in the water.

I hope that you brought along a warm coat and/or hoodie sweatshirt...  it will be chilly and damp this time of year.

Thank you for sharing and posting.... I will be eagerly looking for more of your updates as you post them...
HUGS,
Danielle

I’m finally able to connect again since I’m in Juneau. This is one of the many glaciers we saw in glacier Bay national Park. We saw plenty of wildlife a bear, and lots of Sea Otters, and one whale.

I’ll post more pictures of Juneau later.

Ellen

***SEE MY LINKS BELOW

Offline EllenW

« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2021, 03:05:59 pm »
Rachel
I’m on Norwegian Cruise line on the new vessel “Encore”  Everything on board is first class for my first cruise it is very good. The vistas and nature are wonderful and the entertainment is great

Ellen

HRT January 2018
GCS - January 2021

Offline EllenW

« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2021, 03:53:58 pm »
My phone battery died while we were cruising glacier Bay so most of my digital camera and I will upload a few when I am back home. Here are a few from Juneau.

Both are at the top of the Juneau Tram

Ellen

HRT January 2018
GCS - January 2021

Offline EllenW

« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2021, 06:35:44 pm »
As we are about ready to set sail I thought I would post this final picture. it is the first view I saw this morning when I opened my drapes in my state room. No matter where I go, far east, middle east, Europe or the Caribbean and now Alaska I see something like this. Now the management of these containers and the cargo in them has provided me a wonderful livelihood for 45 years. But I would like to go on vacation sometime and not see them.

Ellen

HRT January 2018
GCS - January 2021

Offline sandrauk

• Friend
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2021, 02:18:08 am »
I've only been on one cruise(Mediterranean), and the ports were the bit I didn't enjoy.

The ship would sail overnight, and then we were woken at 6am by the chains which were very loud from our cabin in the bowels. of the ship.

The only port which was pleasant was Genoa where we parked in the bay and then caught a tender to the shore.   

« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2021, 01:16:52 pm »
@EllenW
Dear Ellen:
Thank you for sharing your Cruise Updates and photos.
I am more than certain that you are having a great time viewing the Alaskan Scenery.

**** If you are doing the formal dinners.
.. are you sharing a table with interesting people?

Here where I live in the Central Interior of Alaska ... we will be getting SNOW on Friday and the next few days after that with temperatures in the low to mid 20's ... some area will have temperatures in the teens(f) ... Burrrrr!!!

HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW

Offline EllenW

« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2021, 02:11:36 pm »
I woke up this morning in Ketchikan with this view from my balcony.

Alaska is a beautiful state.

Ellen

HRT January 2018
GCS - January 2021

Tags: