Author Topic: How often revision surgery  (Read 559 times)

Online RachelTG

How often revision surgery
« on: February 11, 2021, 10:06:05 am »
I have my bottom surgery date scheduled for March 26th and I am excited. I was wondering how often revision surgery is required and why?

Thanks

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Re: How often revision surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 10:29:39 am »
Tough to answer. It is more commonly desired (for aesthetics) than it is required (for example, fistulas or urethral issues).
Veteran, US Army

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 10:34:23 am »
To expand on that, your priorities should be:

1. Getting off the table alive.
2. Not having immediate problems such as fistulas.
3. Not having infections.
4. Not having healing issues such as dehiscence, necrosis, or prolapse.
5,6 Aesthetics and sensation, ability to orgasm.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 07:29:33 pm »
Even the most respected surgeons sometimes require a revision of their work. There are just too many individual variations to expect an identical result for every patient.

Whether or not you desire a revision really depends on your expectations and did your surgeon meet your expectations. Some of us desire a cosmetic vulva and do not require any depth for intercourse. Others absolutely need full depth and they are going to seek a revision.

How many seek a revision? I don't know and I don't know of any reliable surveys that discuss this. My best guess is that about 20-30 % of MTF GCS patients will seek a revision at sometime in their life. My guess is based on personal conversations with other post op ladies.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 02:58:17 pm »
And, revisions are not always included in he original price. So, ask about that up front.
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline LuckyGal

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 04:26:03 am »
And, revisions are not always included in he original price. So, ask about that up front.

THIS is very important, I have talked to so many who didn't discuss this upfront, and most all of them had to pay for revisions!

Offline warlockmaker

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 06:02:05 am »
A good surgeon will provide you with a functional and aesthetically passable vagina. Passable, is a personal perception of your own expectations. And this should be explained by the surgeon.

Most can consider a revision to lower the labia minora thus making the vagina entrance less round. Honestly, unless there are recovery problems that distort the planned outcome then thats all thats needed.

Some friends get hooked on revisions and have multiple surgery. Cosmetic surgery of all types can be addictive. Perfection of your own perception*%#

Focus on recovery and consider options later. You will have to wait a year because of dilation requirements. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
When we first start our journey the perception and moral values all dramatically change in wonderment. As we evolve further it all becomes normal again but the journey has changed us forever.

SRS January 21st,  2558 (Buddhist calander), 2015

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 07:49:34 am »
I don't understand why someone could be unhappy with their vulva because it can't be seen. If there are functionality issues with one's vagina, I understand seeking help. I had bleeding in my first year, but I didn't return to Eugene Schrang, my surgeon. I went to a renowned gynecologist and he told me he'd have never known that my vagina was surgically constructed. He said he would have assumed that I simply had a hysterectomy. Those were comforting words because if an accomplished gynecologist with a light and camera and speculum and decades of experience couldn't see the origin of my vagina, I've since assumed that no one else could.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 09:17:44 pm »
... Eugene Schrang, my surgeon. I went to a renowned gynecologist and he told me he'd have never known that my vagina was surgically constructed. He said he would have assumed that I simply had a hysterectomy. ...

Sadly, Dr Schrang has passed away in 2019.  :'(

In his day, his work was considered by many to be the best available.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline inenidok

• Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 08:08:53 am »
Well I got my surgeon and a whole team of doctors, from my gynecologist that does my hormones to family, physicians, therapists, psychiatrist , etc. I assembled a team when I started this journey to be me an free! My biggest concern is all the complications that can happen while I am under and going through and after surgery? To expect it to be perfect should not be priority in my opinion! I has seen a lot of them and natural ones too, and they do not look the same. But my main concern for me is getting back to life as fast as I can and be healed up, I will worry about cosmetic later on. But I do wish you a fast and speedy recovery!  My surgery is the 17th of March the top and bottom
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 06:20:35 am by inenidok »
Love love, be yourself live life for you. 12/21/17 is the start of a new me

Online RachelTG

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 06:54:14 pm »
Thanks everyone. I am building a list of questions for my surgeons.

Offline Jane.Shannon

• Friend
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 05:37:02 pm »
One of the places I would consider always plans for a two-step procedure, hoping for a one-step.  The second step is for possible revisions a year later.  Often revisions are considered "cosmetic" unless they can be medically justified.
July 2020: Full Time
Aug 2019: Started HRT
Dec 2019: Hair Feminization Surgery

Online RachelTG

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 07:49:26 am »
Update: had my pre-op appointments yesterday for limited depth vaginoplasty and all went well. Surgery is on for March 26th.

Offline pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 09:52:04 am »
Excellent Rachel. Wishing you every happiness and success both for preparation and of course for the operation itself.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Tags: