Author Topic: Trauma resulting from gender dysphoria  (Read 291 times)

Offline Asche

• Family
  • Non-binary M2F
Trauma resulting from gender dysphoria
« on: February 12, 2021, 07:39:24 am »
Somewhere I heard or read that trans children have a much higher rate of trauma than cis children, the implication being that being trans (presumably meaning "showing gender variant behavior") results in abuse, which causes trauma.

I tried googling it, but all I found were articles claiming the reverse -- that gender dysphoria is caused by trauma (=abuse?), which has always seemed to me a rationalization for claiming that trans people are mentally ill and can and should be "cured."

I guess I'm interested because I believe that some of the abuse I suffered from at the latest age 6 was due to my inability to conform to my society's gender expectations.

Does anyone know of an article or other reference that discusses this?

"...  I think I'm great just the way I am, and so are you." -- Jazz Jennings

Complex PTSD

Offline Maid Marion

Re: Trauma resulting from gender dysphoria
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 08:29:12 am »
Logically I should have been bullied due to my small size and gender differences at a young age.
But, the TV show Kung Fu came out in 1972 and I copied what I saw.  I had the quickness to defend myself.

Marion

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 08:32:02 am »
This is from the 'Annual Review of Psychology (12)1 - January 2016

Gender dysphoria (GD), a term that denotes persistent discomfort with one's biologic sex or assigned gender, replaced the diagnosis of gender identity disorder in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders in 2013. Subtypes of GD in adults, defined by sexual orientation and age of onset, have been described; these display different developmental trajectories and prognoses. Prevalence studies conclude that fewer than 1 in 10,000 adult natal males and 1 in 30,000 adult natal females experience GD, but such estimates vary widely. GD in adults is associated with an elevated prevalence of comorbid psychopathology, especially mood disorders, anxiety disorders, and suicidality. Causal mechanisms in GD are incompletely understood, but genetic, neurodevelopmental, and psychosocial factors probably all contribute. Treatment of GD in adults, although largely standardized, is likely to evolve in response to the increasing diversity of persons seeking treatment, demands for greater patient autonomy, and improved
understanding of the benefits and limitations of current treatment modalities.

(bolding is mine to highlight)

This is a very emotive subject and subject to a lot of misinformation and anecdotal evidence. The best thing to do is concentrate on your journey and path. Have a good therapist who understands trauma and work with them to find yourself..
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Online pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 08:40:05 am »
Hello Asche

I think trans children must have a higher rate of trauma with or without previous abuse.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Breeze 57

• Friend
  • My new name is Paige Autumn
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 09:44:19 am »
Logically I should have been bullied due to my small size and gender differences at a young age.
But, the TV show Kung Fu came out in 1972 and I copied what I saw.  I had the quickness to defend myself.

Marion

Snatch the pebble from my hand.

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 09:49:58 am »
Hello Asche

I think trans children must have a higher rate of trauma with or without previous abuse.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Aye.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 09:58:27 pm »
... but all I found were articles claiming the reverse -- that gender dysphoria is caused by trauma (=abuse?), which has always seemed to me a rationalization for claiming that trans people are mentally ill and can and should be "cured."

Many years ago, this was a commonly held belief.

When I was a teen in the 1960's, this view was accepted as fact. I had transgender feelings because I had an abusive father. All the therapists were saying this, so it must be true. All I needed to cure my feelings was that I needed a much better role model for masculine behavior, and I would be just fine.

Well, 50 years later, nothing changed inside me.

Today, the accepted factors related to transgender feelings are mostly internal and not related to abuse by others. We also abuse ourselves. We have difficulty accepting ourselves and sometimes we wish it could all end. Unfortunately, for some of us did end it all.

Having transgender feelings invites abuse. Abuse does not cause gender dysphoria.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Kay Kozee

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 07:27:16 pm »
As a child, my father's parenting style was shaming and my mother was very depressed. My childhood was rough. That did not cause me to want to be a girl / woman. I was always sensitive, emotional, feminine and nurturing. I think that caused friction with my parents, not the other way around.

Offline Lagdim

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 04:24:13 pm »
Somewhere I heard or read that trans children have a much higher rate of trauma than cis children, the implication being that being trans (presumably meaning "showing gender variant behavior") results in abuse, which causes trauma.

That's interesting, I never thought of the reverse of the homophobic/transphobic trope of "abuse causes it", but I could see it maybe being true. I did a quick google search, myself, to see if Julia Serano (a popular trans activist, author of The Whipping Girl) ever touched on it, but she only seems to have doubted the positive statement. Which is much easier to provide evidence for than to show causation.

Tags: