Author Topic: You're So Vain!! ?  (Read 584 times)

Offline Toni1

• Neighbor
You're So Vain!! ?
« on: February 13, 2021, 09:17:22 pm »
It's about 5 years now that I very slowly began physical transition. It occurred to me that in the past year I love to have my picture taken. Anytime I go out I have to check myself in the mirror. When I am out in the shops and pass a mirror of course I have to look at myself and smile. I am 67 and before that all my life I avoided having my picture taken and avoided looking in the mirror. I really hated the way I looked. I really didn't relate to being transgender and feeling so ugly as a man I would surely be uglier as a woman. Now though I certainly am no beauty but I really am happy and confident in how I look. I don't know...but after 60 years of feeling ugly I enjoy the new me.

Thanks Carly Simon for giving me the title of this post.
What's your experience?

Offline RandyL

• On the way
Re: You're So Vain!! ?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 09:36:45 pm »
Hi Toni, yes it's similar for me. I'm also 67 and never took selfies before. Now I do all the time. Before I go out the door I have to walk to the bathroom to check myself in the mirror. I guess this is the first period of my life where my appearance matters to me. Besides 7th grade anyway

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Forging my new, best life

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 09:39:45 pm »
Same as yours Toni1,

I am a late transitioner and at first, I felt that I would never pass or be lovely to look at. At first, it made no difference to me, as I felt so right inside my head. I just really needed to be myself, no matter what the costs.

Now that I have been on Estradiol for over 6 years and I am post op, GCs and FFS, I am beginning to notice the guys noticing me,  :o  and I like it.  ;D

Is this vanity ? I really don't think so. I am just trying to show my best appearance. It's a girl thing. You understand, I'm sure.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 10:18:34 pm »
You probably think this song is about you.

I'm a 67 year old AMAB who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Offline Toni1

• Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 01:16:16 pm »

Is this vanity ? I really don't think so. I am just trying to show my best appearance. It's a girl thing. You understand, I'm sure.

That's a good thought Rakel I guess it is a girl thing. Funny how that develops so naturally.
Toni

Offline Toni1

• Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 01:18:42 pm »
You probably think this song is about you.

You mean it's not?
Thanks AnneK

Offline Rachel_Christina

• Family
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 01:49:37 pm »
Ahhh when the guys notice, you know it's game over!
Confidence fly's through the roof.

Offline Pammie

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 02:05:13 pm »
I have to admit im considering changing my name to include “vain” as a new middle name.
My old shadow self didn’t do mirrors, I, on the other hand, very much love mirrors and selfies!
I am continually delighted by seeing the real me, by my continued evolution and all the lovely clothes I have.
I don’t apologise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Evienne

• Do you mind? This is my personal text >.>
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 07:25:17 pm »
You probably think this post is about you!!

Beautiful to hear you found happiness after so long of that though. Thanks for sharing.
I hereby sign this message to the understanding that it is what I said. You, the viewer, thus abide to the binding of this message to have been abided.

Offline Toni1

• Neighbor
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 07:56:09 pm »
Ahhh when the guys notice, you know it's game over!
Confidence fly's through the roof.

Thanks for that thought Rachel. As I am older when guys notice me it's in the form of
being a gentleman. I feel so flattered when men open the door for me or let me go before them.
The respect is wonderful and yes my confidence flourishes.
Toni

Offline Toni1

• Neighbor
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 08:12:28 pm »
You probably think this post is about you!!

Beautiful to hear you found happiness after so long of that though. Thanks for sharing.

Thankyou Evienne!
Back in high school I remember at dinner a teacher wrote on a napkin "To thine own self be true"
and gave it to me. Back then I just thought like "well sure". Maybe he sensed something
in me that was so repressed it took this long to surface.
Again thankyou for sharing in my happiness.
Toni

Offline Evienne

• Do you mind? This is my personal text >.>
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 04:44:13 pm »
Thankyou Evienne!
Back in high school I remember at dinner a teacher wrote on a napkin "To thine own self be true"
and gave it to me. Back then I just thought like "well sure". Maybe he sensed something
in me that was so repressed it took this long to surface.
Again thankyou for sharing in my happiness.
Toni

You know, it could have been coincidence, or they liked you, but teachers deal with a LOT of kids and even family generations so I think they do kind of have some "powers" in seeing something different or unique in certain kids whether it be good or bad. Wouldn't be surprised if he was genially trying to help you remember that.
I hereby sign this message to the understanding that it is what I said. You, the viewer, thus abide to the binding of this message to have been abided.

Offline JoJoWolfe

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 02:37:02 pm »
I’m definitely vain. For a long while I was in the closet, still am to the larger world, and swore I would never live full time or start transition unless I passed well. One day I just fell in love with the woman in the mirror. Long story - started to grow my hair to very favourable comments from the women at work (90% female staff) and that has really boosted my confidence, I would like to achieve the length in my profile pic (a hairpiece) and reckon that is achievable by this coming Christmas. The next big boost was laser treatment for facial hair - fabulous- unfortunately paused by Covid and I hope the clinic survives, they have put so much work into it.
I’m getting much happier with my makeup, less is more for me, still can’t do eyeliner.
My weight is dropping and I’m running and exercising to trim and tone and not bulk except glutes.
It’s all coming together gradually but I do want to something about my thin, non-existent lips, straighten my nose, lift my eyebrows and not break the bank, I think I’ve figured out the biggest bang for the buck, well within budget. Now it looks as if I will be working from home for the long term which is fantastic as I was planning to retire early in May but I love working from home and even if I only work until December that is an extra 6-7 months money in the bank, I could even carry on for another year at two days a week. More options, more money for the war chest.
I absolutely have more mirrors now and like what I see (most of the time) and on the odd occasion when he is looking in the mirror (not fully out) I’m not happy, what I see is incomplete.

Tags: