General Discussions > ARGHHH!

It is creepy

(1/20) > >>

ChrissyRyan:
I think it is creepy that after visiting some shopping sites that I may receive an email saying something like,
“Take another look at this.” Or “here are some other items that you might like.”

These Web sites apparently keep track of what items you have browsed and they get back with you if you did not purchase in an attempt to persuade you to make a purchase.  It can be almost immediate or a delayed communication with you.

It gives me the creeps and makes me want to not receive any more emails from these entities.

Do you get these emails or texts like this also?

Chrissy

Battle Goddess:
Matter of fact, I send them to you. Nasty, ain't it?

ChrissyRyan:

--- Quote from: Battle Goddess on February 14, 2021, 11:10:17 am ---Matter of fact, I send them to you. Nasty, ain't it?

--- End quote ---

That would be creepy use of data, but organizations like to do that.

Chrissy

Maid Marion:
I get links to luxury brands.  Maybe I ought to flattered.  :D

Marion

ChrissyRyan:

--- Quote from: Maid Marion on February 14, 2021, 11:27:04 am ---I get links to luxury brands.  Maybe I ought to flattered.  :D

Marion

--- End quote ---

I think one of their assets is to collect all kinds of data about you and then use it or sell it.
The experts find all kinds of hidden relationships in their databases as they mine them.
Some IT, data, and marketing experts can explain this in detail.

So when you use an app or Web site for “free,” well, let us say that you may be giving up some privacy.
You may give up more when you setup an account with them.

Chrissy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version