Author Topic: LETS Argue Over Semantics  (Read 2834 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Re: LETS Argue Over Semantics
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2021, 05:33:32 pm »
Reticent instead of reluctant.

Reticent means shy, restrained, and keeping thoughts to him or herself.

“Reticent” does not mean reluctant.  Recently they seem to be used as synonyms and some dictionaries include reticent as a synonym to reluctant.

I am very reluctant to do so though!

Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2021, 05:53:38 pm »
There are some that say, “can’t hardly.”

Hmmm

Of whom I am one. I also use "couldn't hardly" and "might could." I suspect it's a regionalism in USA English.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2021, 05:55:53 pm »
You've just opened my eyes to a whole new level of seeing why the English language is horrible.

You're not lying.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2021, 09:57:44 pm »
“Completely empty” seems odd, as something is empty or it is not empty.

“Very unique” seems odd, as something is one of a kind or it is not.

“Close proximity” is redundant.

Chrissy

@Evienne
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2021, 10:04:20 pm »
“12 Noon” can be simplified to “noon” as noon is at 12.

“7 a.m. in the morning” can be simplified to 7 a.m. as that time is in the morning,

“Depreciate in value.”  Well, when something depreciates, its value is reduced.  Simplify to “depreciate.”

Chrissy

@Evienne

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2021, 12:27:51 pm »
But sometimes we use these redundancies for emphasis, or as conversational grease.

My smartphone thinks it's smarter than me. It's probably right.

Forging my new, best life as Randi

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2021, 02:39:45 pm »
This thread is making me cringe so hard, lol.

One thing I have issue with, and it's something you Americans seem to have invented, is the phrase: "Can I get...?" Rather than "May I have...?"

If I were serving someone and they asked me the former, I'd say: "No, but I can get it for you, now what would you like?"

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2021, 04:08:04 pm »
Well that will learn you ----------
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever.
I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2021, 07:42:17 pm »
This thread is making me cringe so hard, lol.

One thing I have issue with, and it's something you Americans seem to have invented, is the phrase: "Can I get...?" Rather than "May I have...?"

If I were serving someone and they asked me the former, I'd say: "No, but I can get it for you, now what would you like?"

These days, we have become adapted to being ignored, due to technology such as cellphones. Normally, we have to say "Hey, can I get..." just to get their attention. Using proper manners is moot. In the case of my husband, I have to poke him just to get his attention, including during mealtime. He hears nothing while his ear buds are in, and he is either watching YouTube videos or listening to music.

Semantics? Let's argue over the definition of the word "ignorance", and whether it comes from its root word: "ignore".
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

I don't have wrinkles. I have wise cracks.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2021, 07:02:29 am »
Language evolves, that is for sure.

:)

Chrissy

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2021, 02:09:48 pm »
         Mad versus  Angry

These two words have frequently been used interchangeably, however.....

Mad:
Mental illness, synonymous with crazy or insane

Angry:
Anger - displeasure or resentment.
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline jennifer7020

« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2021, 03:29:12 pm »
Does this count?

The answer to "thank you" is "you are welcome". Except many now lazily reply "No! thank you," which is argumentative. It would more properly be "you are welcome, and thank you".

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2021, 03:57:44 pm »
@jennifer7020
Dear Jennifer:
Yes indeed, I agree with the word usage that you posted....

.... although, if there was a mutual favor done among two people, then a "NO! thank you" as a retort could be quite proper.
Danielle

Does this count?

The answer to "thank you" is "you are welcome". Except many now lazily reply "No! thank you," which is argumentative. It would more properly be "you are welcome, and thank you".
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2021, 06:17:20 pm »
Some people say “irregardless” when they mean to convey “regardless.”

Some people say “not hardly” when they mean to convey “hardly.”

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2021, 06:54:54 pm »
I have heard a mother tell her daughter "you can marry him over my dead body". Just imagine the wedding.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

I don't have wrinkles. I have wise cracks.

Tags: Language grammar silly