Author Topic: Orchiectomy  (Read 572 times)

Offline Lois17

• Visitor
Orchiectomy
« on: February 26, 2021, 09:04:35 am »
I've been scheduled to have an orchiectomy on March 8th by my doctor. She is going to use epidural anesthesia to numb the lower part of my body for the surgery instead of general anesthesia. I will be put in surgical stirrups the whole time, and be able to go home the same day. Has anyone else had it done with an epidural? Is it better or more painful than general?

Offline Carla68

• Friend
Re: Orchiectomy
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 05:09:58 pm »
Hi Ya

I had never been to hospital let alone had surgery, i went for the knockout and wake up hour or so later option and super happy i did, although not sure i was offered any other options

I stayed overnight a my friend took me and my frozen bags of peas home next day

I did have my bleprohplasty couple of months later under local and it was not too scary but also simpler option

Good luck you won't miss them

Carla
Carla

FFS 22-6-21
GRS 22-6-21

Offline Darilee

• My Courage Came Late In Life
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 06:23:19 am »
I just got my second letter last week. I have my doctor appt March 10 as long as my insurance accepts everything I should be good to go for my orchie and scrotal removal I'm hopeful
My Journey
Bilateral Orchiectomy w/ Scrotal Excision= April 20,2021,
Estradiol= May 5, 2021

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 08:04:13 pm »
... Has anyone else had it done with an epidural? Is it better or more painful than general?

I had an epidural for a prostate issue. The injection goes into the spinal column way down low where the nerves taper off to a very small bundle. It is a safe and very effective anesthesia and they always give a sedative in addition to the epidural.

When everything is all done, you wake up without a hangover. This is different from General anesthesia which does take a while to completely clear out of your body.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Lois17

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 10:19:25 am »
They ended up pulling them out up higher so my scrotum wouldn't have any scarring, in case I want SRS later on. It felt like someone was squeezing my testicles really hard the first day,and the incision sites were sore, but pain went away fairly quickly. Doctor said I must have been on some really good AA cause she has rarely seen testicles so small,and it made it much easier for her to get them out. It's amazing how flat it is down there now. Makes it so much easier to wear leggings. My penis is extremely small also. No bulge! :)

Offline mm

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 10:33:35 am »
Yes Lois17, testicles do really shrink after a time on AA's and want to pull themselves up inside you. Wearing tight clothes in the groin area easy much nicer and everything look great so flat.