Author Topic: I'm writing an Intersex character for a story, but I'm not Intersex myself.  (Read 501 times)

Offline VerySpicyShrimp

• Visitor
So I'm writing this sci-fi story, where a human being is born in the depths of space, on a black and white planet (because physics).

After some thinking, I decided that she was Intersex, because I don't really see a lot of Intersex characters in media, and I think Intersex people deserve more representation. Problem is, I don't really know much about Intersex people, and I don't want to misrepresent or offend the Intersex community.

I've been searching for places to read about Intersexuality online, including <another forum>, where apparently someone else who wasn't Intersex also wanted to write a sci-fi story about an intersex character, which was pretty cool I guess.

Yet, even after reading all I could find on google, I still don't have a solid understanding of what intersexuality is, and I'm scared of misrepresenting the character, so I wanted to ask the people here if they know of any good resources online to help educate people like me, who aren't Intersex and want to write an Intersex character.

It's a personal project, it's not for school or anything, I'm just interested in writing for myself.

I'm really sorry if I offended anyone with my post, or wrote anything incorrect. I've only been reading about Intersexuality for a couple days, so I still don't understand it much, but I'd like to, because I want to treat my character with respect, and I want to approach Intersexuality in a respectful manner.
Thanks for understanding.

Offline Haley Conner

It depends, because there are a number of different types of intersexuality.  Some are due to faulty androgen receptors, others happen at the chromosomal level.  There are many variations.  Typically, intersex people are on the androgynous side.

Offline VerySpicyShrimp

• Visitor
It depends, because there are a number of different types of intersexuality.  Some are due to faulty androgen receptors, others happen at the chromosomal level.  There are many variations.  Typically, intersex people are on the androgynous side.

What kind of variations are there? I watched this documentary called "Intersexion" which also explained that intersexuality varies, but I haven't found any information about these different types of intersexuality.

I really want to learn, is it ok if I ask for some resources?
Thank you!

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Hi VerySpicyShrimp, welcome to Susan's Place! Here is some information for you.

https://www.susans.org/wiki/Intersexuality

Everyone is welcome here at Susan's Place, but we are a  support site first and foremost. The members here are not gathered to be a database for anyone. I hope you find the knowledge that you're seeking.  :)

Please review all of our Terms of Service and site policies:

Things that you should read

See you around the site!

Hugs, Devlyn
Veteran, US Army

Offline VerySpicyShrimp

• Visitor
Hi VerySpicyShrimp, welcome to Susan's Place! Here is some information for you.

https://www.susans.org/wiki/Intersexuality

Everyone is welcome here at Susan's Place, but we are a  support site first and foremost. The members here are not gathered to be a database for anyone. I hope you find the knowledge that you're seeking.  :)

Please review all of our Terms of Service and site policies:

Things that you should read

See you around the site!

Hugs, Devlyn

I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to act entitled to information or anything, I just thought that a forum would be the best place to ask about Intersexuality. I'm reallly sorry if I came across as rude.
Thank you for the link!

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
No, you didn't come across as rude, and we're happy to educate people with a genuine desire to learn. I hope that you haven't misunderstood my intent, my first obligation is the safety, security, and comfort of our members. So I look out for them.

Hugs, Devlyn
Veteran, US Army

Offline Rachel

• Family
Hi, I had my genome analyzed and compared to know polymorphisms.

I am mosaic and have a lot of polymorphisms for 5 alpha reductase and 5 alpha dehydrogenase. I can share with you the information if you like.

When I was closed up by Dr. McGinn in her procedure room a week post GCS she said, "you know you are intersected". My Sister was in the room and it was embarrassing. Dr. McGinn went on to say my anatomy is very different.

Dr. McGinn  did three operations and two procedures on me for GCS.

What is it like, bad. I was on three swim teams growing up. I hid in the male locker room to get changed. I had no bump in my speedo. I stopped swimming at 13 because I was so uncomfortable. I had a really small scrotum, my gonads would go inside as well as my micro penis. I use to think I had an insey. My legs are very long, much longer than my torso. I was told by a woman once that I had very beautiful long legs.

Puberty sucked and never got better. I hid who I was. I knew I was a girl and told my mom just before age 5. It got really bad at home.

One of the things my ex would always say is I was tiny and other degrading things. When we divorced, after she said  she never liked having sex with me. She said I was very small and soft and it was not enjoyable.

MTF in need of help link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,133631.1980.html
MTF in need of help 2 link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,251825.0.html
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas FemLar 10/13/2020
Dr. Thomas laser vocal procedure 2/17/2021

Tags: