Author Topic: Investigating domestic violence and the transgender community  (Read 351 times)

Offline Laura1951

Investigating domestic violence and the transgender community

https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news/investigating-domestic-violence-and-the-transgender-community/

WKBN by Desirae Gostlin on February  28, 2021

The Mahoning Valley came face-to-face with a devastating murder not unlike a multitude of others around the nation where a transgender person was victimized.

Chyna Carrillo was about to turn 25 years old in March before she was brutally beaten Feb. 18 in New Wilmington. Police said her injuries were caused by a blunt force object wielded by 33-year-old Juan Carter Hernandez, which led to her death. Hernandez was fatally shot by police during the attack Thursday.

Domestic violence rates within the LGBTQ community are much higher on average than in heterosexual couples. 44% of lesbian women and 61% of bisexual women have experienced rape, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner at some point in their lifetime, as opposed to 35% of heterosexual women.
“When you’re ready, start living your truth. That’s when the magic happens.”

One New Life to Live (My personal blog)  |  My BA Journey   |  Laura's HRT Journal 

Full Time since 11/27/20  |  Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline Rachel Montgomery

• Family
Re: Investigating domestic violence and the transgender community
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 08:58:38 am »
I understand that the stats tell of higher risk, but this particular case doesn’t sound (based on what was reported) as if it had anything to do with her being trans.  The perpetrator is thought to have killed his wife some time ago.  He is a man who kills women.  It is sad, but it doesn’t seem to be violence directed at her for being transgender. 

Offline Lagdim

• Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 11:38:32 am »
Could be unrelated to her trans status, sure, but I somehow doubt a woman murderer would be all that understanding toward trans people.

Offline Angelaney

• Friend
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 12:55:55 am »
I have been in an abusive relationship, back before I admitted to myself or anyone else that maybe I was trans. I don't think being transgender is as much of a factor as simply being seen as "weak" and an easy target.

Offline Rachel Montgomery

• Family
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 10:35:28 am »
I agree Angelaney.

Tags: