Author Topic: Womens Safety in the UK  (Read 465 times)

Offline Carla68

• Friend
Womens Safety in the UK
« on: March 13, 2021, 04:25:20 am »
Sadly this week the body of 33 year old Sarah Everard was found in woodland in Kent more than a week after she was last spotted walking home on 3 March, even in covid times this still shows how women can't safely do something that many men take for granted.

Before covid as a transgender women I had started to feel a little less comfortable walking home (especially after having my phone stolen from me by a young man) but I still had my male sense of bravado overriding my final decisions to walk home alone

Personally although I do think I can draw similarities to how safe women feel today when alone, I don't think I could have an level conversation about the subject with my female friends who have had to live with this their entire lives.

I think this is a subject that I will avoid discussing forever as i don't think having had a foot in both camps so to say is necessarily helpful on this subject

Carla

Carla

FFS 22-6-21
GRS 22-6-21

Offline Pammie

• Up
Re: Womens Safety in the UK
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 05:28:19 am »
Sadly this week the body of 33 year old Sarah Everard was found in woodland in Kent more than a week after she was last spotted walking home on 3 March, even in covid times this still shows how women can't safely do something that many men take for granted.

Before covid as a transgender women I had started to feel a little less comfortable walking home (especially after having my phone stolen from me by a young man) but I still had my male sense of bravado overriding my final decisions to walk home alone

Personally although I do think I can draw similarities to how safe women feel today when alone, I don't think I could have an level conversation about the subject with my female friends who have had to live with this their entire lives.

I think this is a subject that I will avoid discussing forever as i don't think having had a foot in both camps so to say is necessarily helpful on this subject

Carla
Quite. I have a level of discomfort about taking part in the discussion for the same reason. I do feel more insecure now as im always out walking alone though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Angelaney

• Friend
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 07:40:34 am »
Naivety and lack of awareness is the problem, not gender.

Young women, especially the very pretty ones, seem to think that nothing bad will ever happen to them, because in their general life most people are very nice to them and they're very susceptible to people who "seem nice", like dodgy car salesmen.

Offline Pammie

• Up
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 07:42:40 am »
Naivety and lack of awareness is the problem, not gender.

Young women, especially the very pretty ones, seem to think that nothing bad will ever happen to them, because in their general life most people are very nice to them and they're very susceptible to people who "seem nice", like dodgy car salesmen.
I have to say I don’t buy that at all. The vast majority of young women are very aware of the dangers. The problem is some men and society itself

Offline Angelaney

• Friend
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 08:16:00 am »
I have to say I don’t buy that at all. The vast majority of young women are very aware of the dangers. The problem is some men and society itself

I'm not saying they're not aware, we see bad stuff all over the news all the time, I just think that trust can be placed in people who do not have the best intentions. You know there's a danger, but don't always see it.

There's the old saying "beware of the quiet one's", as an introvert I find this highly distressing, as people treat me with great suspicion, and yet seem to trust the worst people imaginable.

Tags: