Author Topic: Trans Girls Belong on Girls’ Sports Teams  (Read 372 times)

Offline Laura1951

Trans Girls Belong on Girls’ Sports Teams
« on: March 16, 2021, 10:50:32 pm »
Trans Girls Belong on Girls’ Sports Teams

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trans-girls-belong-on-girls-sports-teams/

Scientific American by Jack Turban on March 16, 2021

In February 2020, the families of three cisgender girls filed a federal lawsuit against the Connecticut Association of Schools, the nonprofit Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference and several boards of education in the state. The families were upset that transgender girls were competing against the cisgender girls in high school track leagues. They argued that transgender girls have an unfair advantage in high school sports and should be forced to play on boys’ teams.

Claiming that transgender girls have an unfair advantage in sports also neglects the fact that these kids have the deck stacked against them in nearly every other way imaginable
“When you’re ready, start living your truth. That’s when the magic happens.”

One New Life to Live (My personal blog)  |  My BA Journey   |  Laura's HRT Journal 

Full Time since 11/27/20  |  Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline stella-cd

Re: Trans Girls Belong on Girls’ Sports Teams
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 08:19:29 am »
I think the arguement is that trans girls have an unfair advantage in sports because they have more testosterone.  Is it true that a trans girl does not have more testosterone than a typical biological female if they have started transitioning and is taking testosterone blockers and estrogen?  Maybe a dumb question but can you be a trans girl and not be taking testosterone blockers and estrogen?  Can a trans athelete take less testosterone blockers and estrogen than usual and have more testosterone than a biological female?  Do the trans girls dominate the sports they compete in (win a high percentage of the time)?

I am just asking questions and unsure of the answers. 

Offline Emileeeee

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 09:54:03 am »
The article itself states that trans women are not dominating in women's sports. Although I'm sure it's possible that a transwoman would not be on blockers, I find it very unlikely. They tend to view testosterone as a poison, so I can't see anybody willingly allowing it in their system.

This has nothing to do with protecting women's sports. It's just another angle to try to drive us back into the shadows. They're literally pushing through bills to prevent them from getting blockers while saying they can't compete without them.

I would also direct you to the story of Caster Semenya, another casualty of this line of thinking. I believe she is still in the process of fighting for her rights. Her's is an intersex story of a cis woman with elevated testosterone that is being told she can't compete with other women without taking medications to lower it, and she refused.

Offline stella-cd

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 11:50:47 am »
Once again my dumb question:  Are there differenet levels of MTF trans as far as transitioning?  Can you be trans and not on hormones?  The article is talking about high school students.  Maybe some identifing as MTF trans have had no hormones?  Just asking...  Trying to undersatnd all the resistance to this

Men do have advantages over women in sports.  Yes some women can beat some men but in general at the high levels of sport men will have a physical advantage over women in sports such as football, golf, basketball, etc...

If it were up to me I wouldn't care if a trans person competed against the girls in high school.  Fine with me. 

Emileeeee said: "For many this issue may be them trying to drive trans into the shadows."  I agree with that. 

Let me ask this:  Should men and women compete together in all sports rather than have separate men's and women's sports?  If no, then is it becasue of the physical advanatges of men?  I think it's possible that some people are against MTF trans competing against females becasue they don't understand what transitioning means and what the physical affects are.  It doesn't necessarily mean they want to drive trans people into the shadows. 

Have there been any issues with FTM trans joining male sports teams?  Would the conservatives be against that?

By the way I am not conservative in my politics or on issues like this.  I am just trying to understand the issue.

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 09:26:25 pm »
Trans women in sport will always be a divisive issue, and the discussion will always hurt trans people. In some sports, having developed as a male will be an advantage, it's not all about hormones! I have had hypogonadism for decades, been on HRT for a couple of years, and had GRS, and, despite having low, or unreadable levels of T for years, I am still much stronger than most women my age. But, let's face it, people who are successful at sport have some unfair advantage. It's never been a level playing field or we simply wouldn't have winners! Michael Phelps had a condition where he didn't ever feel tired, so he could keep pushing himself when his opponents struggled with fatigue. Is this fair?

The only answer is to abandon gender based sports in favour of ability based sports. This way, all athletes get to compete at their level, regardless of gender, or physical advantage, or disadvantage.

Hugs,

Allie

Tags: