Author Topic: Everybody's out of stock on estradiol valerate  (Read 1258 times)

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
Everybody's out of stock on estradiol valerate
« on: March 28, 2021, 08:48:47 pm »
I went to refill my estradiol valerate (for injections in 5ml vials) last week and my pharmacy said it was backordered from the manufacturer. She advised calling around town, which I did -- nobody has it, although a few have it in much more dilute solutions. I also checked legitimate online pharmacies and they don't have it either.

Anybody else experiencing this?

I think this also occurred some time in the past, but I wasn't using it then.

I'll call my doctor's office tomorrow; hopefully they can inject me. I'm about due for a blood draw anyway.
Forging my new, best life as Randi

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Offline Mika Ishtar

• Veteran, engineer
Re: Everybody's out of stock on estradiol valerate
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 09:33:09 pm »
From what I hear, they have stopped manufacturing generic EV. You have to go with brand name and it is very pricey right now. Frustrating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Emileeeee

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 05:31:43 am »
I don't remember what I was on for injections, but I did run into an issue with it being out of stock several years ago. It forced me to switch to pills and I haven't tried to go back to injections.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 05:51:14 am »
Temporary shortages of Estradiol Valerate have happened before. The last time it happened all the less expensive generic products became unavailable first, then the more costly brand name products followed. This is just supply and demand issues.

With a world wide pandemic going on right now, I am surprised that there are not more products in short supply.

Fortunately, we have alternative products we can chose from. I expect things to return to a more normal situation in a few months.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 08:03:45 am »
Again? What a pain. Thanks for the heads-up! I'll order a refill right now

"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline AnonyMs

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 03:11:45 pm »
There’s no shortage if you get it compounded and it’s reasonably cheap.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 07:37:51 am »
They should get more soon, as there appears to be an ongoing need for it.

I would not prefer any shots myself.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 01:00:41 pm »
There’s no shortage if you get it compounded and it’s reasonably cheap.
Thank you for the tip about compounding. Is it hard to find a compounding pharmacy?

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 01:10:53 pm »
Again? What a pain. Thanks for the heads-up! I'll order a refill right now
My local pharmacy's distributor is out, but there's another (inconvenient) pharmacy in the same chain that keeps some in stock. I've had to get E from them before. Endo pointed me at them during the last famine.

Since I was already in their system, they're filling my Rx. Just a matter of a 45-minute drive to fetch it. Sigh.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 01:54:11 pm »
Thank you for the tip about compounding. Is it hard to find a compounding pharmacy?

There should be one not far from you, just do a Web search on compounding pharmacy, perhaps adding your city or state to the search terms.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 03:47:11 pm »

There should be one not far from you, just do a Web search on compounding pharmacy, perhaps adding your city or state to the search terms.

Chrissy
Thanks Chrissy. Jessica Rose PM'd me a compounding pharmacy here in town. I didn't realize it was common.

I'm scheduled for an in-person injection at my doctor's office on Monday, along with my blood draw. They'll be able to tweak my prescription if needed.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 03:54:41 pm »
Thanks Chrissy. Jessica Rose PM'd me a compounding pharmacy here in town. I didn't realize it was common.

I'm scheduled for an in-person injection at my doctor's office on Monday, along with my blood draw. They'll be able to tweak my prescription if needed.

Jessica is great!

Chrissy

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 12:34:37 am »
I got my estradiol today! Funny enough, I went to the doctor's office for my weekly injection this morning. They aren't able to get any more themselves, so we tentatively scheduled for next week in the hopes they'd get some, but it might have to be canceled. On the way home I stopped by the pharmacy for another prescription -- and they had my estradiol valerate. They didn't contact me, so it had been hanging out for 5 days. I guess I'm supposed to call and check the status instead.

Anyway, I hope the manufacturing (or whatever it was) problem is fixed and we can all get back to normal!

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 12:59:44 am »
Randi,

I am glad the supply issue seems to have worked out for you.

Chrissy

Offline Myranda

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 04:45:29 pm »
I got a call from my doctor's office a couple of week ago, tell me that my pharmacy (CVS) couldn't get mt EV in, and suggested that I try ordering it through their in house pharmacy hand having it shipped oir trying to pick it up at a different pharmacy.

Fortunately, I had just started a new vial, and it will last me a little while.  Hopefully long enough for this to sort itself out.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 04:47:55 pm »
I got a call from my doctor's office a couple of week ago, tell me that my pharmacy (CVS) couldn't get mt EV in, and suggested that I try ordering it through their in house pharmacy hand having it shipped oir trying to pick it up at a different pharmacy.

Fortunately, I had just started a new vial, and it will last me a little while.  Hopefully long enough for this to sort itself out.

I hope you get some before your supply runs out.   :)

Hugs,

Chrissy

Offline Myranda

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 04:50:13 pm »

I hope you get some before your supply runs out.   :)

Hugs,

Chrissy

Me too.  though I do have some sublingual tablets left over.  I would really hate to have to switch back.  The switch a year ago has really helped things along.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 06:20:53 am »
...New doctor won't prescribe "tabs" for anyone over 60 ...

Also: he prescribed "23g points" does anyone else here find that too small, very difficult/slow to draw?

Many doctors are hesitant to prescribe Estradiol tablets to people over 60 because they fear the cardiac side effects. Estradiol patches are considered by many doctors to be the safest form of Estradiol. My own opinion is that sublingual tablets are just as safe as patches or injections for Estradiol. I am 71 years old and I prefer sublingual Estradiol. I feel that any difference in the risks are minimal between sublingual, patches and injections for Estradiol.

Using a 23 gauge needle for giving any oil based product can be done, but many people prefer to draw up the hormone with a larger needle (smaller gauge) then switch needles to the smaller size before injecting.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 11:14:59 am »
       I'm hoping your right @Myranda! New doctor won't prescribe "tabs" for anyone over 60 so immediately put me on generic 5ML vial of EV oil instead (which last week local Publix had to order, 2-day wait only!). Question: Any side-effects upon making the switch? I 'ave been "wiped out tired" for a day after each injection  . . but he wants to hold off on labs until I get a new, good baseline going.

Also: he prescribed "23g points" does anyone else here find that too small, very difficult/slow to draw?

Also also: Is it possible my facial beard growth is slowing, getting lighter? I stopped AA's long time ago but, as an experiment, recently shaved "down there" and noticed am not getting the "stubble itch" like i used to . . . Been ridiculously *fasting* of late as I lose that tummy bulge I DO see body shape improvement as well!

Am 6' 175lbs my Navy niece is 6'3"!
Hi Chloe,

See my HRT journal about how I draw the medicine from the vial. As Rakel said, use an 18g or larger (smaller number) needle to draw. They're inexpensive and I don't mind discarding two needles each week.

Offline Myranda

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 02:22:35 pm »
       I'm hoping your right @Myranda! New doctor won't prescribe "tabs" for anyone over 60 so immediately put me on generic 5ML vial of EV oil instead (which last week local Publix had to order, 2-day wait only!). Question: Any side-effects upon making the switch? I 'ave been "wiped out tired" for a day after each injection  . . but he wants to hold off on labs until I get a new, good baseline going.

Also also: Is it possible my facial beard growth is slowing, getting lighter? I stopped AA's long time ago but, as an experiment, recently shaved "down there" and noticed am not getting the "stubble itch" like i used to . . . Been ridiculously *fasting* of late as I lose that tummy bulge I DO see body shape improvement as well!

Am 6' 175lbs my Navy niece is 6'3"!

Chloe, I did not notice any significant side effects when I switched from sublingual to injections.

I also switch needles when I do my injections, using a larger needle for the draw and a smaller need for the injection it self.  I'm not sure of f the top of my head what the gauges are, but 21 and 23 sound about right.

Tags: