Author Topic: Everybody's out of stock on estradiol valerate  (Read 1265 times)

Offline AnonyMs

Re: Everybody's out of stock on estradiol valerate
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2021, 12:24:28 am »
18 gauge  needles can damage the stopper of a vial and you’ll end up with bits of rubber in the vial and a bad seal. I’d not use one. Look up coring.

Offline Chloe

• Family
  • "Jade" girl slave in "The Badland's" poppy fields!
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2021, 03:44:48 am »
I did not notice any significant side effects when I switched . .

Thx for all responses! Pharmacy gave me 3ml syringes when I asked for the smaller '1' but suspect @AnonyMs makes sense too so will, as always, "pull/push" through it (a pun?) As far as "fatigue & EV" goes it seems to be leveling out . . between roller skating and two people QUITTING on my DAY OFF Monday surely overtime on what supposed to be a 'part-time' job isn't helping either?

TV news said yesterday that "supply chain problems" will only get worse as people prefer to sit home on unemployment rather than Go Back To Work! Smaller businesses in my area have a serious labor shortage with "help wanted" signs everywhere!
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2021, 09:11:43 am »
I'm not sure of f the top of my head what the gauges are, but 21 and 23 sound about right.

Endo gives me 22.5-gauge.

*** 30 minutes later

My local pharmacy called just now to advise that they're trying to order my E because they don't have it in stock.

In the past this has led to a Keystone Kops routine where they update me on how baffled they are that their regular supplier doesn't have any, so they're trying someone else. Then, shockingly, that one doesn't pan out, either. Then it turns out nobody at all in the entire area has any.

That's when I call to tell them I secured some from another store.

Will advise.

"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2021, 11:28:31 am »
18 gauge  needles can damage the stopper of a vial and you’ll end up with bits of rubber in the vial and a bad seal. I’d not use one. Look up coring.
Thank you AnonyMs. I hadn't heard of coring so I looked it up. Yes it does occur, and yes smaller gauge (larger numbers) needles reduce the risk. Here is what I found about how to insert the needle (any size) into the rubber stopper to minimize the risk of coring. This is supposed to reduce it by about 50%.

This page https://innovationcompounding.com/tutorial-coring/ has illustrations and is about the clearest I found. Copied from the page:

Proper Puncture of Vial
Proper hand hygiene should be performed before handling medications, and the rubber septum should be disinfected with 70% isopropyl alcohol prior to piercing it and allow the alcohol to dry.

[See illustrations in the link to make the following clearer]

To prevent coring, the needle should be inserted at a 45–60° angle with the opening of the needle tip facing up (i.e., away from the stopper), sometimes referred to as “bevel up”. A small amount of pressure is applied, and the angle is gradually increased as the needle enters the vial. The needle should be at a 90° angle just as the needle bevel passes through the stopper.

Smaller gauge needles may reduce the risk of coring but may make the cored piece more difficult to see should coring occur. Using blunt fill needles may also reduce the risk of coring (and needle stick injuries). [Note, other guidance I read said that blunt fill needles are actually worse.]

To prevent vacuum formation, inject air into the vial equal to the volume to be withdrawn.

Inspect the medication-filled syringe and the vial from which the medication was drawn for any signs of coring, small flecks, or pieces of the rubber stopper.
Forging my new, best life as Randi

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Offline Myranda

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2021, 03:01:59 pm »
Just got a text from my pharmacy, that my Estrogen is  back in stock!  WooHoo!

While I still have plenty, I cannot wait for my next injection tomorrow morning!

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 04:19:18 pm »

...In the past this has led to a Keystone Kops routine where they update me on how baffled they are that their regular supplier doesn't have any, so they're trying someone else. Then, shockingly, that one doesn't pan out, either. Then it turns out nobody at all in the entire area has any.

That's when I call to tell them I secured some from another store.

Will advise.

We're now at the point of bafflement and searching other distributors.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I have already obtained a supply from a reliable store in the same chain as my befuddled local outlet.

Let's see how long it takes them to tell me there isn't any to be found in the entire area.

Sigh.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline Jaymiereborn

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2021, 01:26:55 pm »
Little old but thought I would add, Par is the company on backorder. I get my HRT through Amazon Pharmacy and they use American Regent EV and have no issues with supply, They started and got approved for their EV in Aug 2020 because of Par's backorder issue but alot of pharmacy's have exclusive deals to use Par

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2021, 01:32:30 pm »
Little old but thought I would add, Par is the company on backorder. I get my HRT through Amazon Pharmacy and they use American Regent EV and have no issues with supply, They started and got approved for their EV in Aug 2020 because of Par's backorder issue but alot of pharmacy's have exclusive deals to use Par

@Jaymie
Dear Jaymiereborn:
    Please know that I am not trying to hijack your post and what you have shared in your very first posting here on the Forums, but first I wish to Officially Welcome YOU to Susan's Place..... then you can expect more members to respond to your question and thoughts once you introduce and tell a little more about yourself.

As you post here on the forums you will be able to exchange thoughts and comments with others that are experiencing many of the same things that you wrote about.

This is the right place for you to be to find out what others may have to say that may have been in your circumstances and with your questions and concerns.
    There are a lot of members here that will be able to identify with your situation as you continue to feel free to share it.

You will find this a safe and friendly place to share with others and to read about others similar trials, tribulations, and successes.

As you are certainly aware you can share with others and involve yourself with some give and take with other like-minded members.  When frustrated or if you have successes you can share it here if you wish and receive support from others and offer support to others. ....
     ***There is a very good chance that you might find that you will make some new like-minded friends here. 

Please come in and continue to be involved at your own pace.   Other members will be along shortly to give you their thoughts about your questions and concerns that you mentioned in your very first posting.

There are informational and important LINKS that I have included below.   You will find information about the site that will help you navigate around and best utilize the features here.   
Please look closely at the LINKS in RED, answers are there to many questions that new members ask....

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that all new members should be familiar with:

Things that you should read
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2021, 01:32:52 pm »
@Jaymiereborn
Dear Jaymie:
.......One more thing......
If you feel so inclined please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum to tell more members about yourself!

With more exposure to more members here you will be able to get more responses to your questions and concerns.
Wishing your well as you continue to be involved in the forums.

NOTE: Now, after all of this Greeting and Welcoming stuff, I will give you and other readers the thread back so that the conversation can continue on.

Again, I am so very glad to see that you have joined Susan's Place.  I will be eagerly looking for your future postings around the Forums.

If you have any questions you can contact ME at  northernstargirl@susans.org
Danielle
Global Moderator
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2021, 01:41:13 pm »
Thank you for the suggestion Jaymie. I hadn't thought of checking Amazon.

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 11:56:06 pm by RandiL »
Forging my new, best life as Randi

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Offline RCummings

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2021, 11:27:50 pm »
I switched to Empower Pharmacy and other than waiting two days for shipping I have not had a problem. Walgreens was a pain and was more expensive even after using my insurance.

Tags: