Author Topic: Estrogen level went down  (Read 254 times)

Offline alicomp

Estrogen level went down
« on: April 13, 2021, 04:38:29 pm »
My partner is on estrogen patches (age 71) and she has her estrogen levels checked quarterly.  She just got her most recent lab results and her estrogen is down considerably from 3 months ago.  It is still higher than it was 6 months ago, but 3 months ago she experienced a big jump.  Does anyone know what would cause the estrogen level to go down if dosage didn't change?  Her endo appointment isn't for another 3 weeks, although she did write to the endo but hasn't heard back yet.

Thanks,
Alice

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
Re: Estrogen level went down
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 07:52:40 pm »
Estrogen supplied by a patch can be somewhat variable.

The new patches may be less potent for any number of reasons. It could be that one batch is sub standard resulting in lower blood levels. The application site may have less blood supply resulting in difficulty in taking up the absorbed Estrogens.

Estrogen are metabolized in the liver and excreted by the kidneys. Changes in the liver or kidney function can result in an increase or decrease in blood levels. This is why we test those functions every so often.

Slight changes in blood levels of any hormone are typical and if there are only small changes, it is of little consequence. If the blood levels are even lower next time around, then something is definitely wrong.

Determining the exact problem is your doctors job. There are just too many variables to diagnosis the problem here.

Again, a little variation is normal, but a consistent drop in hormone blood levels each time they are checked, indicates that something is wrong.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline alicomp

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 08:33:37 pm »
Thanks Rakel.  I was hoping you would reply.
Alice

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 07:14:52 am »
Alicomp, I have had variable results from blood tests, having had readings of 400, 1200, and 600 Pmol/l from consecutive tests on the same dose. I am 67. I also had a considerable drop in levels over a 4 month period , also on patches, and I knew my levels had dropped as I was feeling sick. My Endo suggested I was maybe becoming intolerant to patches and changed me to gels, but I still had to increase my dose significantly to get decent levels.

I’ve heard people say that their levels dropped after a period and they needed to change delivery methods, ie, go from pills to injections and back to pills to maintain levels, but we are all different!

Hugs,

Allie

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 03:01:52 pm »
Also, the timing of the blood draw and estradiol dosing can cause variations.  As I have read hear, it seems best to take your blood test in the trough, or just before your next dose of estrogen.

Rakel can better clarify this as she did in another thread here.
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Tags: