Author Topic: Real Life Experience as a Prerequisite for Surgery  (Read 3137 times)

Offline Allie Jayne

Re: Real Life Experience as a Prerequisite for Surgery
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2021, 12:42:27 pm »
Karen, for something as important as surgery, it is important to establish need. Check out the World Health Organisation ruling in 2018, and more recently, the American Psychology Association changes in DSM-6 which acknowledge trans as a medical condition. WPATH is being re written to reflect this also.

For those who for many reasons, simply can’t socially transition, and are significantly affected by dysphoria, GRS can be life saving. Access to surgery needs to be assessed on a case by case basis with informed consent featuring heavily.

Last year a trans woman I knew was denied estrogen therapy for health reasons (she had breast cancer in her male life), and was also denied GRS. She gave up and died. There are a plethora of reasons people are unable to go the traditional route to GRS and often their lives are on the line.

Hugs,

Allie
1958 Knew I should be a girl
1961 Told my mother I was a girl
1976 told my fiance I was trans
1999 told my 2nd wife to be I was trans
2000 began being me at home
2018 Dysphoria made me seriously sick
2019 started HRT, not sick any more!
        Started electrolysis
2020 Full time, legally Me!
2021 Labiaplasty
        Divorced again and on my own

Offline AnonyMs

Re: Real Life Experience as a Prerequisite for Surgery
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2021, 06:08:17 am »
If we care are protecting people from their mistakes we’d need psych evals for all cosmetic surgery. These surgeries all carry risk for no medical benifit and people often regret it. Breast augmentation, facelifts, rhinoplasty, liposuction, penis augmentation, tattoos, piercings, butt implants and BBL, LASIK eye surgery, and plenty of botched facial fillers. And women often regret BA, so let’s have a years RLE for that, just in case. You’d have to be insane to start smoking so we’ll definitely need a psych eval for that. Not trans? Oh well, you’re an adult, no need for any of that.

Tags: