Community Conversation > Transgender talk

Baby Steps

<< < (5/5)

EmilyAlt:

--- Quote from: Angelaney on June 13, 2021, 03:46:00 am ---I think looking at your partners friends and what their opinions are, is the best way to gauge how things are going go, but those opinions can change........

I have friends who have similar experiences to yours, they found that their partner "changed" over the last few years, went from being sort of ok with it, to being much less so, and I personally feel that it's not helped by all the bad attention we've seen caused by the media focus on radical trans activists.

--- End quote ---

My GF doesn’t have any close friends.  She’s pretty antisocial.  Before I came out, I considered her beloved sister, who is very open minded and has several LGBTQ friends.  One of those friends, who my GF is acquainted with, transitioned 10 years ago.  Their interactions are genuinely friendly and my GF has never expressed any reservations about her.  So I was confident she would handle my coming out well.  And she did.  But it would seem she doesn’t want to be exposed on a frequent basis.  Since she refuses to talk, I don’t know why she’s this way.  My guess is that it just hits too close to home. 

In the 6 years since I came out, there’s been no change one way or the other with her stance.  I don’t think the media has negatively affected her opinion.  If anything, she’s become more aware of the challenges we face.  She often comments sympathetically about our cause. 

I agree mainstream media often doesn’t do a good job reporting trans issues.  Education and outreach can affect positive change with them.  The misinformation and blatant attacks on conservative media are a different story.  That needs to be called out for what it is - lies and deception.

Angelaney:

--- Quote from: EmilyAlt on June 13, 2021, 03:24:19 pm ---My GF doesn’t have any close friends.  She’s pretty antisocial.  Before I came out, I considered her beloved sister, who is very open minded and has several LGBTQ friends.  One of those friends, who my GF is acquainted with, transitioned 10 years ago.  Their interactions are genuinely friendly and my GF has never expressed any reservations about her.  So I was confident she would handle my coming out well.  And she did.  But it would seem she doesn’t want to be exposed on a frequent basis.  Since she refuses to talk, I don’t know why she’s this way.  My guess is that it just hits too close to home. 

In the 6 years since I came out, there’s been no change one way or the other with her stance.  I don’t think the media has negatively affected her opinion.  If anything, she’s become more aware of the challenges we face.  She often comments sympathetically about our cause. 

I agree mainstream media often doesn’t do a good job reporting trans issues.  Education and outreach can affect positive change with them.  The misinformation and blatant attacks on conservative media are a different story.  That needs to be called out for what it is - lies and deception.

--- End quote ---

Oh wow, I guess maybe she doesn't see where she fits in? or thinks you're not attracted to her?
One thing I notice is she seems to worry a lot about what other people think, that's a VERY hard thing to get over and later in life people begin to realise that none of it matters, you move to a new street and you never see those people again, 10 years ago I worried about neighbours and work colleagues and now 3 jobs and a house move later I never see any of them.

When my current GF put on quite a bit of weight, I remember she got very self concious, there was a lot of confusion, she thought I didn't want her any more, that she wasn't what I wanted, the big surprise to me was that she didn't know my dress size and was convinced that she was bigger and less attractive than me, I think it was really difficult for her in soo many ways.
She did have a few very shallow/superficial "friends" with not very nice opinions, but she has completely removed them from her life now. These friend were already being a bit nasty about me, but when we met our BF, they got even nastier, which affirmed to her that it was just jealousy.

People are such strange creatures!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version