Author Topic: Names! Argh!  (Read 716 times)

Offline Squeaky99

Names! Argh!
« on: May 17, 2021, 05:10:12 pm »
This is maddening.  I'm working on a new name (MTF).  Mine is gender-neutral so I could easily keep it, but I'd like to explore a different one.  I started with the most popular names for my birth year.  Of course the first name on the list (also my would-have-been AFAB name) is that of my ex-wife.  Thats a no-go.

I'm looking for something Scottish, from the early 70s, without a lot of alliteration. 

How did you pick your name? 

I like Brooke, but I'm not sold on it.
Amy

Offline Battle Goddess

Re: Names! Argh!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 05:26:55 pm »
Both of mine were given me by two different unexpected sources. At first I didn't even realize they had, but whack me upside the head enough times and I tend to figure things out.

So you never know. There's no rush to settle on a name. It paid for me to take my time. I had to take my time.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 05:46:17 pm »
This is maddening.  I'm working on a new name (MTF).  Mine is gender-neutral so I could easily keep it, but I'd like to explore a different one.  I started with the most popular names for my birth year.  Of course the first name on the list (also my would-have-been AFAB name) is that of my ex-wife.  Thats a no-go.

I'm looking for something Scottish, from the early 70s, without a lot of alliteration. 

@Squeaky99
Dear Squeaky:

Our names that we desire are very important to us in our relationships and in our work environments.

As  @Battle Goddess  stated in her reply comment, there is no rush to change your name... in fact, I like the name you presently have, it's certainly gender-neutral and more of a nickname but if it fits your personality and desires then perhaps keep it.  The other name you mentioned, Brooke, is a pretty name and definitely female gendered.

After you think about what you would like your new name to be... and only If you wish to change your member name here on the Forums please go to the following thread and post your request.   
Be certain to look over some of the recent post replies there so you will understand the procedure.

Click Link:    Changing my name on the forum
   https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,196460.msg2422656.html#msg2422656

Warm Regards,
Danielle

Global Moderator
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 04:18:19 pm »

May I ask why? 

I didn't. It chose me.

I think we stress about this way too much. Write down, say, 50 names. Then go through them, close your eyes, take some deep breaths, and feel which ones you resonate with most. That's your answer. :)

Offline Squeaky99

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 08:18:40 am »
May I ask why? 

While exploring new names I thought it would be nice to pick one with a nod to my Scottish heritage.  Ironically enough as I go through this process the one that is resonating with me the most (Amy) is French.  Go figure. ;D  The bigger thing for me was picking something that was popular in or around my birth year.

I didn't. It chose me.

I think we stress about this way too much. Write down, say, 50 names. Then go through them, close your eyes, take some deep breaths, and feel which ones you resonate with most. That's your answer. :)

That seems to be what's happening.  Just had to live with it a bit
Amy

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 11:39:54 am »
While exploring new names I thought it would be nice to pick one with a nod to my Scottish heritage.  Ironically enough as I go through this process the one that is resonating with me the most (Amy) is French.  Go figure. ;D  The bigger thing for me was picking something that was popular in or around my birth year.

That seems to be what's happening.  Just had to live with it a bit
Amy is lovely, ma amie.

There are many routes to one's name. If you're  Amy, you're Amy.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 02:24:11 pm »
There are many routes to one's name. If you're  Amy, you're Amy.

I agree. Go with what feels right for you. If you want to incorporate something to do with your heritage, you can have as many middle names as you want. ;) I know a girl who has Gregor as a middle name. Not even kidding. :)

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 03:56:30 pm »
I agree. Go with what feels right for you. If you want to incorporate something to do with your heritage, you can have as many middle names as you want. ;) I know a girl who has Gregor as a middle name. Not even kidding. :)
Maybe for your middle name you can come up with one of those amazingly long Gaelic words that when pronounced correctly sounds like "Brooke."

Or not. Gonna be a bear to fill out forms.

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 04:38:23 pm »
Maybe for your middle name you can come up with one of those amazingly long Gaelic words that when pronounced correctly sounds like "Brooke."

Or not. Gonna be a bear to fill out forms.

Lol, yeah, it could be worse. You could live in Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

Which, I'm pretty sure, is the sound people make when they sneeze during a particularly heavy chest cold.

Like... just... why.

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 05:22:46 pm »
Lol, yeah, it could be worse. You could live in Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

Which, I'm pretty sure, is the sound people make when they sneeze during a particularly heavy chest cold.

Like... just... why.
You just know there was a village fair, a lot of beer, a certain amount of rowdiness, and a curse from the local witch involved in that one.

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline Pammie

• Up
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 05:29:16 pm »
You just know there was a village fair, a lot of beer, a certain amount of rowdiness, and a curse from the local witch involved in that one.
Hee hee - that sounds spot on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 07:25:11 pm »

I do like the name Brooke.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Squeaky99

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 12:41:44 pm »

Like... just... why.

I might come up with one of those devilish Gaelic names just to mess with the hostess at restaurants  ;D
Amy

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 03:42:01 pm »
I might come up with one of those devilish Gaelic names just to mess with the hostess at restaurants  ;D

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline Squeaky99

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 06:22:50 pm »
Battle Goddess, you're a sister after my own heart  ;D.  Not many things in life that don't have an appropriate Monty Python sketch
Amy

Offline Squeaky99

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2021, 09:40:16 am »
I'm going with Amy.  That name just keeps popping in my head every time I think about it.

Things are coming together  ;D

Amy
Amy

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 09:44:03 am »
Congratulations, Amy. I love your name.

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline Rachel

• Family
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2021, 05:34:31 pm »
Amy is very nice.

MTF in need of help link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,133631.1980.html
MTF in need of help 2 link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,251825.0.html
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas FemLar 10/13/2020
Dr. Thomas laser vocal procedure 2/17/2021

Offline Squeaky99

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 09:55:46 am »
Thank you all.  I'm liking it more and more.  It's Gen X-appropriate, it's girlish without being too young for me, and I don't have any negative associations with it (no exes or satanic co-workers).  Plus it reminds me of my once and future celebrity crush, Amy Adams. :-*

One transition question settled, six million to go  ;D
Amy

Tags: