Author Topic: Testosterone and Corona Vaccines  (Read 261 times)

Offline Holden

Testosterone and Corona Vaccines
« on: May 21, 2021, 02:40:04 am »
Hi everyone! I've been trying to figure out if there are any blood clot risks to people who take testosterone or other hormone therapy when taking Astra Zeneca, but I can't really find any information. I found one study that said that trans men are at a 10% higher risk of blood clots, but since medical research on trans people is terrible I thought I'd just ask the community instead.

I have an appointment for Astra Zeneca next week, and am looking forward to being vaccinated and definitely want to take it, but I'm nervous since I might be in a high risk group. I tried to send some emails to my doctor about it, but he is extremely busy at the moment and I haven't gotten a clear response.

The study:
https://www.endocrine.org/news-and-advocacy/news-room/2021/study-finds-risk-factor-for-blood-clots-occurs-in-more-than-10-percent-of-transgender-men#:~:text=Transgender%20men%20often%20undergo%20testosterone,clots%2C%20heart%20attack%20or%20stroke.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 05:21:59 am by Rakel »

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Re: Testosterone and Corona Vaccines
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 05:32:16 am »
I'm a clot risk due to age, family history, and taking estradiol. I had my first Astra Zeneca jab back in March and I'm still standing.  ;D

The consensus is that the risk of Coronavirus is higher than the risk of clotting. Get your jab.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
Veteran, US Army

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 05:35:29 am »
Holden,

Thank you for posting a link to this study.

As you know, all medical studies are open to interpretation. Sometimes what seems to be the cause of an adverse side effect is more related to other factors.

In this particular study, the size of the population studied is just a little over 1000 people. Compare this to the reports in the US of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine of over 6 million recipients with only a half dozen adverse reports of blood clots.  Also, the study mentions smoking and obesity as possible other causative factors.

Even with these issues, I would be concerned and if a different vaccine is available, I would prefer getting one of those vaccines instead of the Astra Zeneca vaccine.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Holden

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 07:50:27 am »
Thank you for the replies Rakel and Devlyn! I hope you're both doing well. <3

I decided to take Astra Zeneca. I was pretty nervous about it, but I talked to my doctor about it and she told me that since there really isn't any reliable research, she can't say definitively, but according to other research it's believed that blood clots due to Astra Zeneca are more due to genetics rather than hormones, that there's actually no evidence that the actual hormones cause it (for testosterone taking people anyway).

She also mentioned what you said Rakel, that other causes like obesity or regular smoking are higher risks in any case.

By the way glad you're ok Devlyn! I had my shot a few weeks ago and I had only a very light reaction the next day (tired and achey). I feel basically totally good now.

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 08:24:31 am »
I'm getting my second round of A-Z tomorrow morning.  :)
Veteran, US Army