Author Topic: women's clothing is usually larger in size?  (Read 685 times)

Offline mf2020

women's clothing is usually larger in size?
« on: May 28, 2021, 11:54:33 am »
I am quite a fat guy and in most cases I have to get L (Large) or XL (Extra Large) for any ordinary men clothes, recently I am getting addicted to and trying women's pants and tights and tops, etc. I found that for skin-tight legging, M (Medium) could even fit me well, I could never, ever fit any men's M size comfortably.

I don't understand. Shouldn't women's clothes be usually smaller for the same size because men are often taller and "fatter" than women??

Um....btw, I have fat breasts, what is usually my size for women's top? (my breasts size measured around the nipples = 102 cm when relaxed

Offline Rachel Montgomery

• Family
Re: women's clothing is usually larger in size?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 01:18:59 pm »
There are a couple of things at play here. 

1) When it comes to bottoms (pants, etc), women are generally fuller through the hips and thighs.  So, while the waist size may be one measure, it will overall be loose if it was designed for a woman of that waist size.

2)  Women have egos, and the numerical value of clothing size matters a great deal to them (us).  A lot of women won't buy anything over a size _____ (whatever their never exceed number is).  So, some designers started making clothing a little more generous, so that when women tried on their brand, they were quite pleased with what size fit (as opposed to being horrified).  Therefore, now most brands are somewhat generous in their sizing.  Based on published numbers, I should wear a size larger than actually fits well.

Offline Pammie

• Up
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 01:58:47 pm »

1) When it comes to bottoms (pants, etc), women are generally fuller through the hips and thighs.  So, while the waist size may be one measure, it will overall be loose if it was designed for a woman of that waist size.

2)  Women have egos, and the numerical value of clothing size matters a great deal to them (us).  A lot of women won't buy anything over a size _____ (whatever their never exceed number is).  So, some designers started making clothing a little more generous, so that when women tried on their brand, they were quite pleased with what size fit (as opposed to being horrified).  Therefore, now most brands are somewhat generous in their sizing.  Based on published numbers, I should wear a size larger than actually fits well.
I think that might be localised, I actually think that it differs greatly by brand. Anything produced in China is automatically smaller (seriously!) there are some brands I have to buy 2 sizes bigger in which I hate doing but love the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mf2020

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 03:08:36 pm »

Hello, great points!

I am looking at a piece of women's Ygao top which is made of flexible Nylon and supposed to be skin-tight, the number for size S is 64cm for breasts, size M is 68cm while size L is 72cm (all for breasts). They advertise with a model who puts on size S very nicely and she has breasts size 80cm. I am hesitating between size M and size L.... I cannot decide... while I am expecting tight fit (I like skin-tight), I'm worried that size M is too small and I will break it, while size L may not be skin-tight enough. By your experience, what is your guess?

Return is difficult and full of trouble here. I'm not in Uk

• Family
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 03:09:04 pm »
Pammie, you are thin.  It may only apply to larger sizes?

But, yes.  Every brand has a different cut, and some items within a brand fit differently.  For example, if you want Levi brand jeans, you should probably try them on, because three identical pair might each fit differently.  We aren’t talking MUCH differently, but enough to like the way one pair fits over the other.

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 04:19:33 pm »
I just went though this exercise with pants.  25 inch waist and 34 inch hips. 
My nominal size is 2 petite or 3 juniors.  But, I have a pair of size 4 Levi's shorts that fit great.
If you can, juniors sizes typically fit better because they aren't as curvy as mature women.

I just bought for pairs of Izod pants, size 0, that all fit great.  I read the reviews and they said to adjust the sizing, so I did. They had the hem lines I wanted.  Two just above my shoes and two just above my knees.
Athletic gear may also fit better, as curvy women athletes tend to be the exception, rather than the rule.
It helps to hunt around to find brands that work well for your body size and shape.

I think they go by the waist number because it is smaller.  A 25 inch waist sounds a lot better than 34 inch hips.
But, if you look at a GG with a thin waistline, their waist is above their belly button, which means that there is a considerable amount of extrapolation to get the more important hip number.  The pants have to fit around the hips.

Marion

Offline mf2020

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 09:21:40 pm »
I just went though this exercise with pants.  25 inch waist and 34 inch hips. 
My nominal size is 2 petite or 3 juniors.  But, I have a pair of size 4 Levi's shorts that fit great.
If you can, juniors sizes typically fit better because they aren't as curvy as mature women.

I just bought for pairs of Izod pants, size 0, that all fit great.  I read the reviews and they said to adjust the sizing, so I did. They had the hem lines I wanted.  Two just above my shoes and two just above my knees.
Athletic gear may also fit better, as curvy women athletes tend to be the exception, rather than the rule.
It helps to hunt around to find brands that work well for your body size and shape.

I think they go by the waist number because it is smaller.  A 25 inch waist sounds a lot better than 34 inch hips.
But, if you look at a GG with a thin waistline, their waist is above their belly button, which means that there is a considerable amount of extrapolation to get the more important hip number.  The pants have to fit around the hips.

Marion

I don't understand. I don't actually speak English
A flexible Nylon Yoga top shirt (style without waist and belly) like this advertises that its size S for breasts = 64cm , size M for breasts = 68cm, while size L for breasts = 72 cm. Do you think I could fit size M or even S? (My relaxed breasts around nipples = 102cm)

Thanks!

• Family
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 11:12:41 pm »
I wouldn’t expect so, no.  You might need an XL?

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 01:34:34 am »
Those are strange sizes. 72cm is about 28 inches. I don't know any adult women with busts (breasts) that small. Small women are usually at least 32 inches aren't they?

102cm is about 40 inches, which is a fairly common size for individuals assigned male at birth.

So if you can believe their numbers, you'd definitely want to go with a larger size.

Might these yoga tops be for girls, not women? I bought some girls pants by accident once and they were way too small.

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Forging my new, best life as Randi

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Offline mf2020

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 08:07:07 am »
Those are strange sizes. 72cm is about 28 inches. I don't know any adult women with busts (breasts) that small. Small women are usually at least 32 inches aren't they?

102cm is about 40 inches, which is a fairly common size for individuals assigned male at birth.

So if you can believe their numbers, you'd definitely want to go with a larger size.

Might these yoga tops be for girls, not women? I bought some girls pants by accident once and they were way too small.

I believe their numbers because I have no reason not to believe. But that's the real and only number I have. Yes 72cm breasts for Large size and 68cm for breasts for medium size is all I have.

Since the material is nylon so they should be quite flexible, and their model with 80cm breasts fit size S (64cm) nicely and snugly.

I am going to place the order next week and I'll place my bet on size M

The Yoga top is for women

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 09:29:47 am »
I read the reviews and see if I can find positive reviews from people that are my size.
There are so many  online options that I can usually find something better to buy if I' patient.

I've also gone to 2nd hand or thrift stores to get an idea of what brands fit me.
I'd try on ugly clothes and just focus on the fit, not the color or pattern of the clothes.

Marion

Offline mf2020

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 07:46:24 am »
I read the reviews and see if I can find positive reviews from people that are my size.
There are so many  online options that I can usually find something better to buy if I' patient.

I've also gone to 2nd hand or thrift stores to get an idea of what brands fit me.
I'd try on ugly clothes and just focus on the fit, not the color or pattern of the clothes.

Marion

I have received my new legging and bra top with corset,
for the legging I picked size M, while for the bra top I picked XL.
Luckily, both fits well, really always a bet when choosing right size

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 02:24:42 pm »
I have received my new legging and bra top with corset,
for the legging I picked size M, while for the bra top I picked XL.
Luckily, both fits well, really always a bet when choosing right size
That's about the same ratio I use. M below and L or XL up top. Glad you found a good fit.

Forging my new, best life as Randi

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Tags: women clothing size sizing