Author Topic: Sports  (Read 383 times)

Offline Alongroad

• Visitor
Sports
« on: June 04, 2021, 07:59:53 pm »
Greetings - I am new to this site and 2 months into my hormone journey. I figure this will be my last summer playing golf as I still present in guy mode.  Woman’s tees next year :-)

My question is ~ how has transition and body changes effected you?  Yes, I know there is a loss of strength; how significant?  I imagine breasts will change the way I play golf 

Also, I swim laps a lot. Again, I know a bathing suit change will be needed as I go am going from moobs to boobs as the shape change will give it away, but how different is it to swim as a woman? 

In fact, overall physical activity from yard work to life in general ~ I am so so excited to start to present as a woman and all that goes with it, albeit I have to wait 3-6 more months depending how quickly i develop

I look forward to your responses and experiences as I move closer to mine.

Thank you!

Offline WannaBgirl2

• Neighbor
Re: Sports
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 08:06:44 pm »
I also am two months in..... I noticed a "lack of communication with the equipment..... Not a bad thing.... It's just not jumping when I tell it to.....we shall see what happens as my estrogen levels rise.....

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 08:19:53 pm »
When I was a kid they were called the women's tees, but now the are called the forward tees.  Not just for women anymore as getting more men to use them will increase the pace of play.  I am practicing my golf swing in my back yard and plan to play from the forward tees.

I bought a chop saw and some lead strips to customize my clubs.  I am short enough that a standard women's driver is too long, so I'm going to chop it down to 42 inches.

Marion

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 09:17:34 pm »
Greetings - I am new to this site and 2 months into my hormone journey. I figure this will be my last summer playing golf as I still present in guy mode.  Woman’s tees next year :-)

My question is ~ how has transition and body changes effected you?  Yes, I know there is a loss of strength; how significant?  I imagine breasts will change the way I play golf 

Also, I swim laps a lot. Again, I know a bathing suit change will be needed as I go am going from moobs to boobs as the shape change will give it away, but how different is it to swim as a woman? 

In fact, overall physical activity from yard work to life in general ~ I am so so excited to start to present as a woman and all that goes with it, albeit I have to wait 3-6 more months depending how quickly i develop

I look forward to your responses and experiences as I move closer to mine.

Thank you!
@Alongroad
Dear Alongroad
    Please know that I am not trying to hijack your post and your questions and concerns but first I wish to Officially Welcome YOU to Susan's Place.
    I am happy to see that you have signed up as a member of Susan's Place and have submitted your first posting. 

I am also very happy to read that you have on HRT for 2 months now.... hang on for an exciting ride, you will find lots of information here on the forums regarding our members experiences and results in their own HRT journey.

As you post here on the forums you will be able to exchange thoughts and comments with others that are experiencing many of the same things that you wrote about.

This is the right place for you to be to find out what others may have to say that may have been in your circumstances and with your questions and concerns.
    There are a lot of members here that will be able to identify with your situation as you continue to feel free to share it.

You will find this a safe and friendly place to share with others and to read about others similar trials, tribulations, and successes.

As you are certainly aware you can share with others and involve yourself with some give and take with other like-minded members.  When frustrated or if you have successes you can share it here if you wish and receive support from others and offer support to others. ....
     ***There is a very good chance that you might find that you will make some new like-minded friends here. 

Please come in and continue to be involved at your own pace.   Other members will be along shortly to give you their thoughts about your questions and concerns that you mentioned in your very first posting.

There are informational and important LINKS that I have included below.   You will find information about the site that will help you navigate around and best utilize the features here.   
Please look closely at the LINKS in RED, answers are there to many questions that new members ask....

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that all new members should be familiar with:

Things that you should read
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 09:21:59 pm »
@Alongroad
Dear Alongroad
One more thing......
If you feel so inclined please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum to tell more members about yourself!

With more exposure to more members here you will be able to get more responses to your questions and concerns.
Wishing your well as you continue to be involved in the forums.

NOTE: Now, after all of this Greeting and Welcoming stuff, I will give you and other readers the thread back so that the conversation can continue on.

Again, I am glad to see that you have joined Susan's Place.  I will be eagerly looking for your future postings around the Forums.
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 05:14:10 am »
Professional golfer discusses set up your swing and what bra to wear.

I do a lot of squatting when I tend my flowering shrubs, so I'm taking the time to get my legs heavily involved in my swing to generate power.

Marion

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 07:33:30 am »
Good morning Alongroad,

I am a scuba diver and I spend a lot of time in the water at my favorite local beach. Since boobs are a bit lighter than water, they have a small amount of buoyancy that is only noticeable if you have larger breasts. Today, my breasts are much larger and the only thing I notice is that I need a few extra pounds of weight when scuba diving.

When I was first transitioning, I wore a surfer's rash guard top. This is just a nylon lycra t-shirt to keep covered and it also flattened my chest. I wore this for about a year or two. Only after my GCS, did I notice a real change in my swimming. This was not so much any change in swimming performance, but just the sensations of the water flowing past my post op groin was definitely an amazing gender confirming experience.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Online sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 09:06:45 pm »
Tennis player here - the two main effects that I have noticed:

(1) I definitely lost some shoulder strength. That happened gradually over 12-18 months. That being said, I can still lift decently heavy things; however...

(2) I seriously lost endurance to do strenuous anaerobic exercises continuously. This hasn't effected my tennis game that much, but it has affected other activities. Just a few months into HRT when I was moving some heavy boxes and furniture, I got very winded like I had never felt before and I needed to take a break after just 7-8 minutes of lifting stuff. I can still do aerobic exercises fine, but I need lots more breaks now for anaerobic activities.

The loss of shoulder strength especially affected my tennis serve and my throwing ability, and I have started to do some exercises to regain some strength in my throwing shoulder. It's working, but I don't think I'm ever going to get back to where I was.

I am a high-handicap golfer but I haven't headed out to the driving range yet post-transition. That being said, getting used to boobs during the backswing is something I know is going to feel a little weird. I have seen some videos where slight adjustments may need to be made especially with the position of the elbows in the setup and backswing.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline Iztaccihuatl

• Friend
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 12:19:54 am »
I can't offer any first hand experience since I am not on HRT yet, but on the topic of reduction of speed / output caused by HRT I would like to suggest to google Joanna Harper. She is one of the few folks out there who has collected scientific data on this subject based primarily on running, but she also has data from other sports. And she has written extensively about this subject. Based on that it would be safe to assume that your swimming lap times will drop by about 10-12%. No idea how HRT will affect your golfing, but I can imagine that the reduction in muscle mass typically observed during HRT will also impact how far you can hit the ball from the tee.

Offline Alongroad

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 09:14:54 am »
Thanks for the tips, advice and experiences.  Interesting to hear boobs float more. Also, how the legs adjust and what is needed there as well as endurance. I will gladly take a % reduction in strength, loss of yardage in golf and on and on to even have the smallest breast and nipple development, even if it’s only me who knows it and feels it

Also, looking forward to reading up on Joanna Harper and he perspective.

Thanks you all again

Tags: