General Discussions > Cooking

Have you eaten “unusual animals” (e.g., snakes) or roadkill?

(1/11) > >>

ChrissyRyan:
Have you eaten “unusual animals” or roadkill?

Such as opossum, wild boar, buffalo, lion, raccoon, fox, armadillo, snake, moose, crocs, kangaroo, etc.

Chrissy

Battle Goddess:
Great question!

I guess I always think of things like this as defined by culture. As in, what's unusual to one culture's cuisine or forbidden by their food taboos is no big thing to somebody else's.

As in, my Mamaw made great possum, and Granny loved beef heart, but they grew up eating them. Nowadays they're very hard to get. I'm fortunate to live where it's easy to find pig tails and pig feet. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's won't stock those. They do stock buffalo, but the prices! Oof!

I've eaten alligator, which isn't rare depending where you live in the USA. I've had whale, pufferfish, sea urchin, eels and any number of normal Japanese foods that are taboo in typical USA cuisine but seem pretty commonplace today (except whale, which I didn't much like. Came in a can and was prepared like cat food). Conversely, those "Rocky Mountain Oysters" probably weird lots of people out, but I just thought they were kinda meh. The pigeon I had in Shanghai was delicious. Tasted like liver. Ate it whole except for the big wing bones and the beak.

Do the bony, hoofy, offal things you get in menudo count? What about coagulated blood, like in black pudding or East Asian soups? Gizzards? Goat? Love me some goat. The other night's oxtails were fantastic, and they're so old-fashioned in the USA as to almost be like an archaism. I've had jerk oxtail in Jamaica - wonderful stuff! But oxtail still comes from cattle, so I guess maybe that doesn't count.

We've all probably eaten our shares of mystery animals in don't-ask-don't-tell stews. When it comes down to it, do you really care what's in your feijoado? If you're willing to have a bowl at all, you're ready to eat what's in it.

My best story about unusual meat was from my buddy Floriano. He was this dissipated old dude, gaunt and grey-bearded, and he told my friends and me about a drinking buddy of his, an auto mechanic. Floriano would bring a jug of wine over to the garage, and there were always stray cats skulking around, and the mechanic would always offer to cook one for Floriano.

Floriano would always decline, but the mechanic persisted, until Floriano finally calls the guy's bluff and says, "Fine. How about Saturday?" Mechanic says, "Sounds good. Saturday lunch. I'll make us some cat cacciatore."

Saturday rolls around, Floriano buys a big bottle of good wine and heads over to the garage, and there in the back is the mechanic. He's set up a nice table with a checkered tablecloth, and there's a stewpot bubbling on a little camp stove. They greet each other, Floriano sits down, and lunch is served.

It's really good chicken cacciatore.

They're chowing down, having a good time, getting blitzed on the wine, and the mechanic keeps goading Floriano about how good the cat is, and Floriano keeps playing along, agreeing how it's the best he's ever tried, easily as good as chicken cacciatore... until a creeping realization hits. A lightbulb goes off.

Floriano remembers that chicken meat is white.

This meat is red.

It really is cat!

By this time, my buddies and I are all ROFL. We could see this coming a mile away - it's just the sort of thing that happens to Floriano. Floriano is standing there, grinning, enjoying our reaction, waiting for us to settle down. Finally, one of us asks, "So then what?"

He goes, "You know, it wasn't half bad!"

Sephirah:
I've eaten Ostrich, Kangaroo and Shark (not the fin). I guess that counts. At least, in the UK it counts as unusual, lol. I also had Fugu one time in a restaurant. Which can kill you if it isn't prepared correctly. It was a dare back when I was in the Navy. :P

Not much of a fan of Kangaroo, the meat is way too lean. Very chewy. I guess all the bouncing around contributes to that.

I've also eaten Wood Pidgeon, which... as a carnivore, is the single worst thing I've ever eaten in my life. Imagine a roast chicken, half the size, left out in the sun for a month. I almost threw up. Gamey is one thing... but this thing tasted like chicken gone bad. Not pleasant.

Lady Sarah:
Having been an "outdoorsy" person for most of my life out in the American outback, I can say I have killed and eaten a variety of critters you won't find in grocery stores. Snakes and wild rabbits have been among my favorites. Let's not forget that nature also provides other foods such as puffballs, wild potatoes, onions, and garlic, sheppards purse, dandelion and other greens, etc...

I will tell you wild boar is absolutely delicious, better than store bought pork. I will also warn you to never eat skunk. I shouldn't have to explain why. 

Battle Goddess:

--- Quote from: Lady Sarah on June 12, 2021, 04:56:17 pm ---Snakes and wild rabbits have been among my favorites.

--- End quote ---

Mamaw (my great-grandmother) made fried rabbit so delicious it was enough to get a little kid hooked for life. My family won't let me cook any because Daughter #1 has one for a pet. 

I mean, c'mon, man! It's not like I'm trying to eat the pet!  >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version