General Discussions > Cooking

Have you eaten “unusual animals” (e.g., snakes) or roadkill?

<< < (2/11) > >>

Sephirah:

--- Quote from: Battle Goddess on June 12, 2021, 05:33:36 pm ---Mamaw (my great-grandmother) made fried rabbit so delicious it was enough to get a little kid hooked for life. My family won't let me cook any because Daughter #1 has one for a pet. 

I mean, c'mon, man! It's not like I'm trying to eat the pet!  >:(

--- End quote ---

Lol I actually ate my pet rabbit as a kid. My granddad told me it was lamb. Back in the 80s in the UK, during the miner's strike, there was no food. So... yeah. We had a "stew" and got told my pet had ran off. Only found out years later what the truth was.

Gertrude:
I don't color too outside the lines. I've hunted deer and rabbit, so there's that. Pheasant and goose too. I've had moose and elk. I've had haggis a couple times. Outside of that, not much that's unusual, maybe shark, but to me there's not much difference between that and swordfish/tuna. It's a big fish.

ChrissyRyan:
Very interesting comments so far ladies!

Yes, “parts” of animals that are not typical for people to eat in a given region of the world would qualify as unusual.

Yes, plants would qualify as unusual if they are not typically on sale at the market, or simply hard to find.

I suppose insects would qualify too.

I heard that pufferfish must be cooked correctly or people can die eating them.

I look forward to more responses!

I guess my life of eating so far has been tame.  I ate some octopus, squid, and abalone but perhaps none of that is unusual.

Chrissy

Lady Sarah:

--- Quote from: Gertrude on June 12, 2021, 06:46:13 pm ---I don't color too outside the lines. I've hunted deer and rabbit, so there's that. Pheasant and goose too. I've had moose and elk. I've had haggis a couple times. Outside of that, not much that's unusual, maybe shark, but to me there's not much difference between that and swordfish/tuna. It's a big fish.

--- End quote ---

When I lived in SF, I was able to purchase shark steaks at the grocery store. They were quite delicious. I wish I could get them nowadays.

There ain't much special about deer. Around here, they're greasy. There is a number of ranches that raise bison. The meat is pretty good. We can buy gator meat in stores, at a very high premium price for farm raised gators. May as well start eating caviar at those prices.

Gertrude:

--- Quote from: Lady Sarah on June 13, 2021, 07:16:59 pm ---When I lived in SF, I was able to purchase shark steaks at the grocery store. They were quite delicious. I wish I could get them nowadays.

There ain't much special about deer. Around here, they're greasy. There is a number of ranches that raise bison. The meat is pretty good. We can buy gator meat in stores, at a very high premium price for farm raised gators. May as well start eating caviar at those prices.

--- End quote ---

If deer is greasy, I have to wonder what they are eating. That affects flavor a lot. My experience is with deer from NY and Colorado, the latter being mule deer. I prefer whitetail from the east. Moose is very good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version