Author Topic: HRT start  (Read 301 times)

Offline Danielle Atheria

• Visitor
HRT start
« on: June 15, 2021, 03:22:38 pm »
Hiya
So my whole reason for joining this forum was to get advice on how to start HRT. I’ve waited so long and finally decided to do it. Wife left years ago kids have all moved out and on my own now.

Job very supportive as are kids I have medical who looks like they’ll help with SRS and I think VA will help with hormones.

My problem is I don’t know what to do first to get going?? Crying as I’m writing lol hard to see little screen on phone through tears

….please help me

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: HRT start
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 03:59:23 pm »
@Danielle Atheria
Dear Dani:
In my opinion the wise steps before beginning HRT and getting serious about your transition journey should be to see a Therapist, or if you can find one, a Gender Therapist that specializes in gender transitioning.   
Your personal physician should be involved and can recommend an Endocrinologist ... a doctor that specializes in hormonal issues and would be the one to get you started on HRT  (Hormone Replacement Therapy) 
At this point I think it is way too soon for you to worry about and considering your options for (Gender Correction Surgery) GCS procedures  (also known as GRS and SRS)

Get going with the preliminary stuff like finding and meeting with a Gender Therapist, your Doctor, and eventually finding an Endocrinologist.

There is a plethora of information in the Transitioning and HRT sub-forums ... and many of the other threads here on the Susan's Place Forums.

Continue to feel free to read the various postings, and share your questions and concerns with other members here.

I will be eagerly looking for your future postings around the Forums.
Best Wishes to you as you get started in your journey.
Danielle

Hiya
So my whole reason for joining this forum was to get advice on how to start HRT. I’ve waited so long and finally decided to do it. Wife left years ago kids have all moved out and on my own now.

Job very supportive as are kids I have medical who looks like they’ll help with SRS and I think VA will help with hormones.

My problem is I don’t know what to do first to get going?? Crying as I’m writing lol hard to see little screen on phone through tears

….please help me
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 05:03:15 pm »
DA,

Can't endorse the above strongly enough. Gender is so complex. Transition is broad of scope. HRT can be one part of it, but it doesn't necessarily need to be part of it. 

I'm not saying this to discourage you but instead to encourage you to follow a path that can allow you to lead the fullest life possible.

Good luck
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline Danielle Atheria

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 05:57:28 pm »
Hi and thank you 😃  I just turn 51 this week and I know this is right for me. I’ve known longer than most people would believe that you would even think you’re ready for such a decision.

Im at the now or well….anyway I need this it’s way past go time. I know im going to follow through all the way (maybe short of SRS I think im to old for that) so I appreciate any help.

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 09:35:04 pm »
At the very least, you need to do it with a full medical workup beforehand. HRT ain't beanbag.

I shopped around for an endo in my area who works with older trans people (you and I are close in age). Helped make for an effective partnership.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 09:51:45 pm »
... and I think VA will help with hormones.

….please help me

I am currently receiving my Estradiol through the VA Health system. I will admit that the VA is a bit confusing at first, but you can get good medical care there.

The first thing to do is take your eligibility forms (usually a DD 214) to the Admissions and request an appointment with a primary care doctor. Once you see your primary care, request an appointment with a counselor. Most VA hospitals do the counselling from the Psychology Department.

When you see your counsellor, spill your heart out, literally. Do not hold anything back. Do not be afraid. They have heard it all before anyway. After a few sessions, request and appointment for hormones. They usually schedule you with Endocrinology for this.

At this time, counselling, labs and hormones are all that the VA can provide. This may change in the near future, but for now this will get you on the right track, safely and economically.  Take care.  :-*

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 06:36:18 am »
Hi Danielle,

Good luck on your journey.  It sounds like you found the right place to begin.  But now you have to decide what path you wish to take.

I'm one of the few who don't see the need for HRT, as I have a petite hourglass figure.

I am socially transitioning.  I wear women's clothes and high heels to work.
I find that a female presentation makes social interactions less awkward when shopping.
I used to "male fail" a lot and that set a poor tone for social interactions.

The weather got warm enough yesterday and I work a red skirt while working outside in my garden and practicing my golf swing.  I can take a few swings and prune some roses while resting.

Marion

Tags: