Author Topic: Loss of sex drive  (Read 305 times)

Offline ashley7

• Riot gal!
  • Neighbor
Loss of sex drive
« on: June 19, 2021, 10:36:44 pm »
Is not wanting to lose sex drive a good reason to not transition? Last time I was on HRT I couldn’t get aroused.

Edit: Maybe I'm just looking for excuses not to transition, as it is expensive, and I do enjoy male privilege.

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
    • Unordinary Style
Re: Loss of sex drive
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 08:02:10 am »
I found plenty of reasons to not transition.  I made it to 45 before I realized how ridiculous I was being. 

Anywho..... loss of libido huh?  Is that a thing?  Oh right that myth.  Well yes it happens to some, but it is not an automatic thing.  I have always been a human who has greatly enjoyed physical pleasure, and now 4 years into HRT, I still enjoy it immensely, possibly even more so actually.

For me to get past my vast amount of fears, I realized it was not an all or nothing situation.  I could try HRT and see how it felt and if I didn't like it I could stop.  I liked it, a lot. 

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 08:09:51 am »
There are many reason to transition and just as many to not. It is no myth that your libido will decrease after a MTF transition. Testosterone is a powerful hormone and a significant reduction in your Testosterone blood levels will return a male to pre puberty sexual drive. How you are effected is going to be unique to your self. There are too many variables to make any specific predictions for you.

Transition is a matter of choices on how you wish to live your life. You can do as much or as little as you wish. This is up to you.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Pammie

• Up
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 12:16:07 pm »
Is not wanting to lose sex drive a good reason to not transition? Last time I was on HRT I couldn’t get aroused.

Edit: Maybe I'm just looking for excuses not to transition, as it is expensive, and I do enjoy male privilege.
To be honest if you are thinking these things you are pretty much not ready to start transitioning. It’s a massive thing to do and something most on here would tell you to do only if you have to.   Of course, we are all on  our personal journeys but my advice would be to talk it over with your therapist. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
    • Unordinary Style
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 07:18:08 am »
The myth is that testosterone is the hormone pivotal in causing one to have a sex drive.  And saying that transition will return a male to "pre puberty sexual drive" is just not the case.  A better statement would be that a transition to female hormones typically will give one the libidio of a post menopausal female.  Generally that is because WPATH standards currently recommend similar hormonal levels to those of post menopausal women, not because females don't want and like to have sex. 

It is such male centric thinking to assume that it is the male dominant hormone that solely provides females with a sex drive.  Sorry but it is totally normal and natural for women to want to have sex, even without high levels, or even normal levels, of testosterone. 

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 07:28:36 am »
Nadine,

I was speaking from my experience. I described myself as best I could given the limited space available on this forum.

Of course, the effects of all hormones on our sexual drive is complex and it would take a doctorial thesis to fully describe. Even with a full description of hormonal functions, there is much individual variation, but to deny that Testosterone has a major influence on male sex drive just cannot be supported scientifically.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
    • Unordinary Style
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 07:51:48 am »
Hiya Rakel -

Yes testosterone has a huge affect on male sex drive, for sure.  And it can play a role in female sex drive.  But estrogen levels can also affect female sex drive, as well as progesterone levels.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 08:30:42 am »

When you say “could not get aroused” was that meaning (as a MTF) an erection, or the (desire for sex, sex drive, interest in sex), or perhaps there is some uncertainty or fear in being in the “perceived or expected” sexual roles and/or “what am I to do sexually with another in a sexual situation?” of your true female gender?

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Pammie

• Up
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 11:28:47 am »
When you say “could not get aroused” was that meaning (as a MTF) an erection, or the (desire for sex, sex drive, interest in sex), or perhaps there is some uncertainty or fear in being in the “perceived or expected” sexual roles and/or “what am I to do sexually with another in a sexual situation?” of your true female gender?

Chrissy
Yes Chrissy, those are great questions! I think there must often be confusion as to how sexual roles change during HRT and even more during transition.
I was lucky as im binary in the trans and sexual orientation scales. As a heterosexual woman my role is very clear to me. It does surprise me when people say it’s not something they have discussed with their partner. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags: