News and Events > People news

Transgender runner CeCe Telfer is ruled ineligible to compete in US Olympic tria

(1/1)

Laura1951:
Transgender runner CeCe Telfer is ruled ineligible to compete in US Olympic trials
Transgender runner CeCe Telfer is ruled ineligible to compete in US Olympic trials

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/25/sport/transgender-athlete-cece-telfer-trials-olympics-spt/index.html

CNN  by Jim Martin on June 25, 2021

CeCe Telfer, an NCAA Division II track and field champion in 2019, is not allowed to compete in the women's 400-meter hurdles US Olympic Trials because of her eligibility regarding testosterone levels, USA Track and Field said in a statement.

Telfer, a transgender woman, was entered in this week's trials but did not appear on start lists, a USATF spokeswoman told CNN.

kkaas:
they need a better test like T levels and how long they have been poisoned by T … idk.. lol

KK
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rachel Montgomery:

--- Quote from: kkaas on June 29, 2021, 10:40:11 pm ---they need a better test like T levels and how long they have been poisoned by T … idk.. lol

KK
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

--- End quote ---

T levels is exactly what they do test.  Even GG's must have testosterone below the limits, or they cannot compete.  I think the Olympics has come up with an arbitrary and imperfect threshold, but in order to protect competition of women in women's sports, a line has to be drawn somewhere.  You can't have a fair race when the best women in the world are running against someone with the athletic advantages of T present in their system. 

The IOC chose to draw the lie in a place where female transgender athletes work under the same hormonal requirements as all women.  All athletes know the allowable limits.  They understand that they must keep the numbers below the limit.  Obviously, you perform better near the limit, so elite athletes try to dial it in, and sometimes the body process hormones just a little differently, and you go over.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version