News and Events > Opinions & Editorials

Transgender Patients Deserve Better Medical Care

(1/2) > >>

Laura1951:
Transgender Patients Deserve Better Medical Care

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/transgender-patients-deserve-better-medical-care/

Scientific American  by David Rosenthal on July 1, 2021

“This isn’t something I do.”

Patients do not want to hear this from doctors. Yet, sadly, many of my transgender patients have heard this from at least one medical provider.

Confused and exasperated, my patients come to me saying their requests for medical care, primary care or HIV-prevention medication are met with shrugs. It leaves them with a sense that it is the patient’s job to educate their physician, and that their health and well-being aren’t a priority.

Funnycouple:
Maybe the trans community needs to make a co-op hospital that's focused on serving them

Lady Sarah:
This comes to me as no surprise. I have met my own share of doctors that refused me as a patient. One even tried to deny me services at a county medical clinic. Only with deliberation could I find services I needed. Unfortunately, I did have to educate some of the doctors and lead them to find more information so they could provide the correct treatment.

Rakel:

--- Quote from: Funnycouple on July 01, 2021, 06:44:10 pm ---Maybe the trans community needs to make a co-op hospital that's focused on serving them

--- End quote ---

Some of the best doctors specializing in transgender services have experienced their own gender issues. They definitely understand the serious nature of our condition.

However, a hospital is a complex facility that requires many medical specialties and other services. This is going to be a full time operation and a co-operative based enterprise is not a realistic option.

Just go to work for an employer who offers a good health insurance benefit. There are many health care providers who do understand our condition.

Rachel Montgomery:
I asked my endocrinologist if he treated any transgender patients.  He responded that he did not and never would.  They would have to go somewhere else.  He is the only Endocrinologist in the county.  It is a minimum one hour drive to see an endocrinologist who does treatment for transgender patients. 

I do think that the local hospital would offer emergency services to a transgender person, if you were in a car accident, or had a heart attack or something.  I THINK they would. But, I have read of cases where a transwoman bleed to death because the ambulance driver wouldn't take her to the hospital (due to her being trans).  That didn't happen where I live, but I suppose it could.

It is scary.  And, I don't think you would have legal recourse if you survive it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version