General Discussions > Nature and Pastimes

Alaska Evening Hiking

(1/3) > >>

Northern Star Girl:
Long Summer Daylight hours...  Sunset around Midnight

Here is some late evening Hiking pictures ... with my Tooth-Fairy Sweetie.
Hiking by ones self is not a good idea, and we always bring a handgun for protection from
aggressive wildlife.
     11:00PM

11:50PM
     The Sun just set right before midnight

1:00AM  Twightlight dusk, the moon is bight and low on the horizon. 
During late June and early July it never gets dark enough to see the Stars.
I am in the back taking the picture, that is my Tooth-Fairy Sweetie ahead of me.
We both have powerful and bright LED Flashlights.
***Sunrise at 3:20AM

Nadine Spirit:
Wow a handgun?  What type of wildlife might you encounter on these evening walks? 

I recently had to stop my evening/afternoon walks with my dog as we kept encountering rattlesnakes warming themselves in the middle of the road.  My lovely lab would run right up to them.  Needless to say we stopped walking shortly thereafter.  Now we only go out in the early morning before sunrise.

CaelaNotKayla:
Those are some incredible pictures Danielle!  I've always liked sunrise/sunset hiking, with the long shadows rising over the ridge lines- but I have to say I've never done it after most of the bars have closed!!

Hugs!

Caela

Northern Star Girl:

--- Quote from: Nadine Spirit on July 09, 2021, 07:13:01 am ---Wow a handgun?  What type of wildlife might you encounter on these evening walks? 

I recently had to stop my evening/afternoon walks with my dog as we kept encountering rattlesnakes warming themselves in the middle of the road.  My lovely lab would run right up to them.  Needless to say we stopped walking shortly thereafter.  Now we only go out in the early morning before sunrise.

--- End quote ---
@Nadine Spirit:
Dear Nadine:
YES, a handgun !!!
Indeed, I'm very serious about carrying "self-protection" when out in the woods and rural areas, especially so when it is not broad daylight.

Even in the early evening at my home when I take a 50 yard walk to take garbage to my bear-proof shed I have encountered wolves, bobcats, bears, Elk, Moose, etc.

The key is that one does not want to surprise them when accidentally encountering them, so I talk to myself, sing or otherwise make lots of noise.... then usually they will disappear into the surrounding brush and woods before they are seen. 
Sometimes however it they are hungry or just in a bad mood they have been known to get aggressive.

The best advice is to never venture out alone, especially in the evening and when trail hiking at any time, at those times... 
... and to carry some kind of protection.   Bear Spray or Mace is not always immediately effective especially if it is windy or if the creature is more than 5 or 10 feet away.  I don't want to be that close to that kind of danger if they decide to approach me with bad intentions.

Obviously, the handgun defense is the last and most serious and effective defense and is used only in life-threatening situations.

In my small rural town, wildlife such as I described can be often seen walking through town on the city roads and streets.

Thank you for your comment and posting.
HUGS,
Danielle

Nadine Spirit:
Wow you Alaskans are crazy.  I am impressed.  I also really love the photos.  The scenery looks to die for, thanks for sharing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version