Community Conversation > Transitioning

FTM testosterone and fertility Question

(1/1)

ray356:
Hi Everyone,

I had a question if anyone knew of the effects that testosterone have on the ovaries? I want to take testosterone but I'm worried it will do permanent damage and make it so that I could never have a child. I know you have the option of freezing your eggs before transitioning but it sounds so expensive, I don't think that's an option for me. I currently don't have health insurance so I can't ask my provider these questions but if anyone knows it would give me some relief, I;ve been having a lot of anxiety over this. As a ftm, I know may seem weird to some that I would consider pregnancy, but it's a big decision to become infertile and or never be able to carry a child. Also I have tried researching about testosterone on the ovaries but keep getting mixed answers on the web. Much thanks for the help

Rakel:
Good morning ray356,

You are getting mixed answers from the internet because there are many variables here.

How much Testosterone has a person been taking? How long? What are the blood levels involved? Are there any other hormones involved?

On top of all this you have individual variation. Each person is going to react differently to any outside hormone administration. Some of us respond rapidly and others take much longer. Damage to your eggs is just another response to hormone therapy. How much damage just depends on how much and how long you are going to take Testosterone.

It is well known that women who are taking Testosterone and then get pregnant will show some abnormalities in their offspring. This usually expresses as masculinization of the infant child for both male and female infants.

It is well known that a different hormone Diethylstilbestrol (DES) causes cancers in the reproductive system and fertility issues of female offspring and gender identity issues in male offspring.

If the Testosterone treatments is really very short and not intense enough to cause visible transition effects, then there may not be any permanent damage, but we have no way of predicting if this will happen or not.

In conclusion, we really have no definitive answer for you, but the short answer is most likely there will be some effects and they may be serious for your offspring.

In my opinion, if transition is definitely something you need, then freeze your eggs before any hormone treatments or have your children born before you start transition. This is for their safety and their future.

ray356:

--- Quote from: Rakel on July 19, 2021, 07:32:20 am ---Good morning ray356,

You are getting mixed answers from the internet because there are many variables here.

How much Testosterone has a person been taking? How long? What are the blood levels involved? Are there any other hormones involved?

On top of all this you have individual variation. Each person is going to react differently to any outside hormone administration. Some of us respond rapidly and others take much longer. Damage to your eggs is just another response to hormone therapy. How much damage just depends on how much and how long you are going to take Testosterone.

It is well known that women who are taking Testosterone and then get pregnant will show some abnormalities in their offspring. This usually expresses as masculinization of the infant child for both male and female infants.

It is well known that a different hormone Diethylstilbestrol (DES) causes cancers in the reproductive system and fertility issues of female offspring and gender identity issues in male offspring.

If the Testosterone treatments is really very short and not intense enough to cause visible transition effects, then there may not be any permanent damage, but we have no way of predicting if this will happen or not.

In conclusion, we really have no definitive answer for you, but the short answer is most likely there will be some effects and they may be serious for your offspring.

In my opinion, if transition is definitely something you need, then freeze your eggs before any hormone treatments or have your children born before you start transition. This is for their safety and their future.

--- End quote ---

Thank you Rakel,

I hope there hasn't been too much damage to my ovaries, I have taken testosterone in the past for maybe 3 years. At the time I didn't think much about the damage to my ovaries, but now I'm worried. I'm going to try going on health insurance again to talk to my provider. Much thanks this was informative. When I stopped T I did get my period back..so maybe there is still hope?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version