Community Conversation > Gender Correction Surgery

Hands up, who didn't do their research on the end result?

(1/2) > >>

Carla68:
Hi All,

I'm putting my hand up and admitting that I was very driven to remove my penis and really didn't research what I was actually getting (I believe this is quite common)

I had read up on the dilation and the immediate post surgery details but that was about it

what I hadn't done was investigate what a vagina looks like (I haven't seen one for a while and definitely not in detail) infact what you see is the vulva!! (hell I'm not 100% on this)

4-5 weeks after the surgery is when I really looked into everything in more detail and even then I found it difficult to work out what I have and what it should be like or will be like

I have learnt like penises vaginas are not all the same and that goes for transgender ones too but that's all i know not sure if there are good or not so good ones

I had my 2nd post op check up and this time I was a bit more prepared with questions I also took a small mirror so I could have a quick guided tour of where everything was and what it was (my surgeon is an expert on the subject)

I also asked more questions about what to expect in the future

fortunately even with my ignorance I am perfectly happy with results so far but definitely could of been a case of buyer beware

Thanks

Carla

Rakel:
Not me!

I did thorough research for many years before I finally committed to transition. I knew exactly what I was getting. I am very familiar with human anatomy, so there were no surprises with my new body. I calculated the costs both financially and personal issues. I accepted the pain and difficulties associated with recovery.

I am much happier now. I always advise everyone who is thinking of transition to go into this with both of your eyes wide open and consider every possible situation. No surprises. No regrets.

pamelatransuk:
Carla

Yes as you say, we only really see the vulva unless inspecting properly!

Although being 99% certain I wanted MDV (as no dilation required and as I am mainly asexual), I still waited to discuss both options with my surgeon at my Consultation last November. I listened and this gave me complete confirmation.

I wanted removal of male parts and fitting of female parts both to the same degree. Perhaps I could have done more research on appearance of female parts. Gladly at my Consultation, I was shown pictures of my Surgeon's work and was told MDV will result in my body resembling (to the eye) a ciswoman's body which it does.

So far, no problems have occurred to me but I attend my Post Op check on August 6th.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Oldandcreaky:
I think genitalia, both male and female, are ugly. So, I have no desire to gaze at either.

However, I have seen my vagina as I had a patch inside me that wouldn't transition to a mucous membrane and would bleed in coitus. So, my gynecologist took a look inside with his camera and I also got to see inside me. It was then that he said he wouldn't have known I was trans if I hadn't told him, that he would have assumed I'd had a hyst. That gave me great confidence because he was a gynecologist of renown. He also asked permission to talk to my surgeon, which I gave him, as he was mystified how my surgeon had given me a vagina and vulva so normal in appearance. Still, I don't want to see it. Once was enough.

To answer your question, Carla, I transitioned when the Internet was just a pup. I did read a couple books.

sarahc:
I did a lot of research on the appearances of female sex organs. I originally thought that there was an ideal to go for, but it eventually became apparent that (a) there was a huge variation in the outward appearance of the vulva and labia in women and (b) not to stress too much about the final outcome from surgery.

That being said, I do think that each individual surgeon does go for a certain look - you can see this when comparing batches of outcomes from one surgeon vs. another. That is why I think it is important to look at groups of photos from one surgeon to another to see if you prefer a particular look. In addition, labiaplasty is always an option as a second-stage procedure for improving visible appearance, and some surgeons still do a first-stage with the intention that there will be a follow-on labiaplasty. So even if you’re not happy with the appearance after the first surgery, there is definitely much that can still be done to provide a better outcome.

Sarah

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version