Community Conversation > Non-binary talk

can I walk instead of running

<< < (2/5) > >>

mf2020:

--- Quote from: Northern Star Girl on August 01, 2021, 11:13:54 am ---@mtf2020
Walking is a very good "low impact" exercise... especially if walking at a pace fast enough and walking long enough to increase your heart rate.
I walk just about every day, in town, on the rural roads around town, and hiking in the hills. 
I do sometimes run and jog... and I get involved in charity runs and marathons from time to time,
but walking is my primary form of daily exercise.

Wishing you well,
Danielle

                                         healthline
                    https://www.healthline.com/health/exercise-fitness/is-walking-cardio

Below is an the introduction excerpt from the Healthline article.   
Go to the website LINK above to find more information.

"If your idea of an effective cardio workout involves long-distance running, high-intensity cycling, or a vigorous aerobics class, you’d be right, but you’d be leaving out a simple, but effective activity.

Brisk walking is a great cardio workout that can be done indoors or outdoors, at any time of day or night, and without the need for a gym membership or a lot of special gear.

All you need for a walking workout is a comfortable, sturdy pair of shoes and the motivation to lace them up and get on your feet.

This article will take a closer look at the benefits of walking as cardio exercise, and how you can boost your fitness and health by putting some pep in your step."

--- End quote ---


Tonight I ran (not too fast) for 15 minutes and I was VERY MUCH exhausted, my timer was 30 minutes but I wasn't able to finish it. Is it normal? I haven't done any serious exercise for a few years....

Northern Star Girl:

--- Quote from: mf2020 on August 01, 2021, 02:25:27 pm ---
Tonight I ran (not too fast) for 15 minutes and I was VERY MUCH exhausted, my timer was 30 minutes but I wasn't able to finish it. Is it normal? I haven't done any serious exercise for a few years....

--- End quote ---

@mf2020
Since you have not seriously exercised for a few years I am kinda surprised that you could run for the full 15 minutes...
...walking may be the better choice for you until you can build up your strength and stamina.

While aerobic walking (at a very quick pace with your arms vigorously) will burn the most calories, I usually
do most of my walking in a much more casual manner.... and a little slower pace so I can chat with my walking
friends as we go along.... but most of my walks are 4 to 8 miles, sometimes more.

Danielle

barbie:
An 1 hour running is nearly equal to 4 hour walking in calorie consumption. As I do not have time to walk for 4 hours, I regularly run.

I think the best way of keeping our body healthy is change to a active life style: avoid elevators and cars, walking as much as possible, eating less, and etc.

Run slowly when you just started intensive exercise. I see many young college students run fast in the stadium of my campus, but later I seldom see them run again. They just run for < 20 mins, while I run for an hour. I have run since 2003 without any injury. Running is a long-term goal.

barbie~~

mf2020:

--- Quote from: barbie on August 01, 2021, 09:20:04 pm ---An 1 hour running is nearly equal to 4 hour walking in calorie consumption. As I do not have time to walk for 4 hours, I regularly run.

I think the best way of keeping our body healthy is change to a active life style: avoid elevators and cars, walking as much as possible, eating less, and etc.

Run slowly when you just started intensive exercise. I see many young college students run fast in the stadium of my campus, but later I seldom see them run again. They just run for < 20 mins, while I run for an hour. I have run since 2003 without any injury. Running is a long-term goal.

barbie~~

--- End quote ---


I have hard time "eating less", but strangely, I am able to practice fasting for a day or two. When I start to eat, my body feels like eating more and more, it is so difficult to stop, so difficult. On the contrary, if I have a fixed plan for myself, like not eating at all on Monday, then I'll be able to stop eating at all for the day....it's like, my "engine" has stopped, it's easier to keep it stopped.

Is there any trusted information on how to start fasting?

barbie:

--- Quote from: mf2020 on August 03, 2021, 07:02:06 am ---

Is there any trusted information on how to start fasting?

--- End quote ---

https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

If you do not eat at all a day, then you may decrease ca. 0.35 kg = 0.8 lbs of your body weight.

barbie~~

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version