Community Conversation > Transitioning

Need some come back lines when people don’t believe my new name

(1/3) > >>

Rebecca28:
Ladies,

Does anyone have an good come back lines when rude customers at my grocery retail job say to me..

your name is not Rebecca...I get this once or twice a day..

Or it’s so nice your company lets you switch name tags...

Or your so funny having a girls name.. love your sense of humor..

Or people will come out and ask me my pronouns..

I know I don’t blend yet.. my hair and chest are growing.. 16 months HRT. however I get so sick of these dumb people and dumb statements.

Need some good professional comeback lines. Any help is appreciated. I am not stopping and know this is just temporary.. but some days it bugs me and when I am emotional.. I sit in my car and cry on my breaks..

Any help is appreciated.

Hugs,  Rebecca

Northern Star Girl:
@Rebecca28
Dear Rebecca:
Almost all of us here on the forums that have transitioned... or still transitioning...
...completely understand your angst regarding our "new" names...
...and since perhaps if you still display some male gender traits you can expect some confusion
regarding your name... and maybe your clothing, makeup and your hair may add to the confusion.

Confusion and commentary can certainly be expected since you have customers and co-workers
that have known you before you transitioned

Frankly, in my opinion, a clever come-back line is NOT what is needed, but I
might suggest that instead, a clear simple and direct statement and response from you as follows:

"My name is Rebecca and I am in the middle of transitioning.... 
      ...and please use proper pronouns when addressing me."

HUGS,
Danielle

--- Quote from: Rebecca28 on August 08, 2021, 12:40:04 pm ---Ladies,

Does anyone have an good come back lines when rude customers at my grocery retail job say to me..

I know I don’t blend yet.. my hair and chest are growing.. 16 months HRT. however I get so sick of these dumb people and dumb statements.

Need some good professional comeback lines. Any help is appreciated. I am not stopping and know this is just temporary.. but some days it bugs me and when I am emotional.. I sit in my car and cry on my breaks..

Any help is appreciated.

Hugs,  Rebecca

--- End quote ---

Rakel:
I am not clever enough to have a number of come back lines in my memory. In fact, I do not have any at all. I wish I could help, but I just don't have it in me.

Maybe reviewing a few videos from George Carlin or Groucho Marx might help. Those two are the masters of the quick come back.

Lady: Pardon me...
Groucho: Lady, I can't pardon you. You will have to ask the Governor.

George Carlin:  Here’s all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid.

ChrissyRyan:

--- Quote from: Rakel on August 08, 2021, 08:11:26 pm ---
Lady: Pardon me...
Groucho: Lady, I can't pardon you. You will have to ask the Governor.

George Carlin:  Here’s all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid.

--- End quote ---
@Rakel

Hahahahaha

ChrissyRyan:

--- Quote from: Rebecca28 on August 08, 2021, 12:40:04 pm ---Ladies,

Any help is appreciated.

Hugs,  Rebecca

--- End quote ---

“My name really is Rebecca.  My parents wanted a girl and here I am!”

No, seriously, what Danielle said makes sense.  Or, ignore it.  Over time maybe those name remarks will be far less frequent.  I know it hurts.  I am sorry you are receiving them.  Think positively and be yourself. 

Congratulations on your developments!   :)  :)

Chrissy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version