Author Topic: Jamie's Leap of Faith (maybe?)  (Read 12042 times)

Offline EllenW

Re: Jamie's Leap of Faith (maybe?)
« Reply #300 on: January 08, 2022, 10:48:25 am »
another small update for today but more substantive.  I mentioned before I was getting a new doctor thru UCLA Gender Health Center and that appointment is coming up at the end of Jan. 

The other day I filled out a form on their website for LGBT care coordination and they called me today, aware that I had this appt coming up and wanting to schedule a "gender care intake interview".  So next Thursday this guy will call me back and we'll discuss my gender journey, goals, any plans I may or may not already have etc and then this info will all go to this new primary doc.  Felt very excited after the call....when he called he said "Hi may I please speak to Jamie?"....wow that felt cool.

Feel like I'm really taking some concrete positive steps now.  Kind of exciting stuff albeit a bit scary.

I found the team at UCLA to be very supportive of the trans community. That is one of the reasons I decided to have my GCS surgery there last year.

Best of luck,

Ellen
Known all my life I was different
Started to live part time as my true self in 2010
HRT January 2018
Full time at work February 2018
Legal name and gender change January 2019
GCS - January 2021

Offline JamieH

« Reply #301 on: January 08, 2022, 07:55:33 pm »
Got my hair done today....one of my b-day presents from the wife.  Told the stylist I'm growing it out so just a trim, but as for styling I'm going for a feminine aesthetic.  She also complimented my nails, even asking if they're my natural nails.  They're not that long but I suppose I must have done a fairly good job shaping them lol.

Cut came out nice.  it's kind of at an awkward length to do a whole lot with but she said as it continues to grow out we'll be able to do more with it. 

Tomorrow I go back for a 90 min facial.  Really looking forward to that.  This salon is pretty cool, pretty big combo day-spa and hair salon that offers a wide selection of beauty services.  Felt nice to be in such a feminine space where probably 90+% of clientele are women and girls as far as I can tell because it was full of women and I saw no men there.  Just felt so much more right than a barber shop. 

My whole life going to barbers I never really talked much to the barber but always noticed all the other guys did.  I just don't care that much about sports and that's all anyone wants to talk about in barber shops.  Today the stylist and I were chit chatting the whole time.  Kind of felt like I belong in these women's spaces much more than even I thought. 

Offline Brooke Renee

« Reply #302 on: January 08, 2022, 08:14:22 pm »
Got my hair done today....one of my b-day presents from the wife.  Told the stylist I'm growing it out so just a trim, but as for styling I'm going for a feminine aesthetic.  She also complimented my nails, even asking if they're my natural nails.  They're not that long but I suppose I must have done a fairly good job shaping them lol.

Cut came out nice.  it's kind of at an awkward length to do a whole lot with but she said as it continues to grow out we'll be able to do more with it. 

Tomorrow I go back for a 90 min facial.  Really looking forward to that.  This salon is pretty cool, pretty big combo day-spa and hair salon that offers a wide selection of beauty services.  Felt nice to be in such a feminine space where probably 90+% of clientele are women and girls as far as I can tell because it was full of women and I saw no men there.  Just felt so much more right than a barber shop. 

My whole life going to barbers I never really talked much to the barber but always noticed all the other guys did.  I just don't care that much about sports and that's all anyone wants to talk about in barber shops.  Today the stylist and I were chit chatting the whole time.  Kind of felt like I belong in these women's spaces much more than even I thought.

Sounds like a very nice day!  I am very much the same way regarding barbers, going in places like that is very very awkward for me.  It's like I have to concentrate super hard on acting like a male- it's really an effort and feels very imposter-ish. 

All the best!

Brooke

Offline JamieH

« Reply #303 on: January 15, 2022, 01:16:45 am »
We are up tonight watching the news.  There was a huge volcanic eruption in Tonga tonight.  My wife's parents are first generation Tongan immigrants and she has a ton of family over there.  A tsunami hit Tonga and appears to have caused a lot of damage.  Most of her people are accounted for but we're still waiting for some people to check in.  Less importantly we're not sure how her parents properties are doing. 

Local LA news just showed a crazy satellite time lapse of the explosion and her cousins are texting that it's snowing ash and it sounded like bombs going off.  If you're religious at all, please pray for Tonga...if not, please send some positive vibes. 

Offline Battle Goddess

• Mentally Interesting
« Reply #304 on: January 15, 2022, 07:17:46 am »
Holy Socks!

Getting right on it, Jamie.

Best to your wife and family
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Freedom comes at a high price. But I have paid that price, and I am free." -- Muhammad Ali

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

"When going through hell, best keep moving." -- Old & Creaky

“Darling,” She said, “it doesn’t matter. You have only one choice. You can walk farther along the path or not. It’s a narrow path. You may be scared about lifting your foot up to take your next step. It doesn’t matter. You don’t have to step very far. It’s up to you.
"But all you get to do is choose. Your anxieties, your fears, your courage, your happiness, your rage: go ahead and feel them all you want. They don’t matter. What matters is what you choose.
“I can promise you a long and fascinating road. I’ll give you tools along the way. I’ll be with you every step.
“Now make your choice.” --  my beloved Battle Goddess

Offline Battle Goddess

• Mentally Interesting
« Reply #305 on: January 16, 2022, 10:37:10 am »
Jamie, any further news? Those satellite pictures of the volcanic blast were terrifying.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Freedom comes at a high price. But I have paid that price, and I am free." -- Muhammad Ali

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

"When going through hell, best keep moving." -- Old & Creaky

“Darling,” She said, “it doesn’t matter. You have only one choice. You can walk farther along the path or not. It’s a narrow path. You may be scared about lifting your foot up to take your next step. It doesn’t matter. You don’t have to step very far. It’s up to you.
"But all you get to do is choose. Your anxieties, your fears, your courage, your happiness, your rage: go ahead and feel them all you want. They don’t matter. What matters is what you choose.
“I can promise you a long and fascinating road. I’ll give you tools along the way. I’ll be with you every step.
“Now make your choice.” --  my beloved Battle Goddess

Offline JamieH

« Reply #306 on: January 16, 2022, 02:06:59 pm »
News is slow coming out of the islands but it appears the damage is pretty bad.  We have 2 people not yet accounted for.  One is an elderly woman who was living alone on Ha'apai and the other is one of my wife's cousins living up in Vava'u.  The latter is further away and we're optimistic that it's just communications being down still in some areas.  Everyone's worried about the old lady though. 

Honestly a miracle that we're not hearing about massive death tolls though. 

Tonga is a very poor country so will rely heavily on international relief efforts but so far it seems New Zealand is stepping up. 

Offline jennifer7020

• Friend
« Reply #307 on: January 18, 2022, 06:32:15 am »
News is slow coming out of the islands but it appears the damage is pretty bad.  We have 2 people not yet accounted for.  One is an elderly woman who was living alone on Ha'apai and the other is one of my wife's cousins living up in Vava'u.  The latter is further away and we're optimistic that it's just communications being down still in some areas.  Everyone's worried about the old lady though. 

Honestly a miracle that we're not hearing about massive death tolls though. 

Tonga is a very poor country so will rely heavily on international relief efforts but so far it seems New Zealand is stepping up.

I saw the before and after pictures of how much ashe has covered the islands. They are stunning. I am still hoping your family will (or has gotten) good news.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
She had rings on her fingers and bells on her shoes
And I knew, without askin', she was into the blues
She wore scarlet begonias tucked into her curls
I knew right away she was not like other girls, other girls

Tags: