Community Conversation > Post operative life

Time, Time, Time.... See whats become of me

<< < (2/4) > >>

Lady Grey:

--- Quote from: Karen_A on August 28, 2021, 06:32:54 pm ---
I remember  walking through the grounds of Reed College during my convalescence and it was very nice.

--- End quote ---

How quaint. When I had my srs this year it was 2 nites rest in the hospital and out you go. Sick as a dog.
Times change.  But I digress. 

Congratulations on your anniversary.

Karen_A:

--- Quote from: Lady Grey on August 28, 2021, 11:48:22 pm ---How quaint. When I had my srs this year it was 2 nites rest in the hospital and out you go. Sick as a dog.
Times change.  But I digress. 

--- End quote ---

Where did you have SRS?

I no longer remember how long I stayed in the hospital, but I think it was at least a week... Partly it was the times but I think more  that Eastmorland was a very small community hospital and not very busy, so Meltzer was able to make a special deal with them. They let my spouse sleep in my room in a reclining chair so we did not have to also pay for a hotel.

In 1999 when I had FFS with Dr. O at Davies Medical center in San Francisco, I was "officially" out tof he hospital in 2 days afterwards as well, and that scared the heck out of me (FFS was MUCH rougher than SRS for me and my eyes were pretty much swollen shut when I had to move) which was like your experience recently with SRS.

I say officially because back then Davies had a floor that was not medically staffed, but was used to house families and relatives of patients visiting from out of state that was cheaper than the hotels there. It was called guest status...

Before Cocoon House existed DR. O arranged for his patients to recuperate there... But outside of him or his staff coming and checking on you, you were on your own. Again I don't recall how long I was on guest status, but it was at least a week and maybe 10 days.

--- Quote ---Congratulations on your anniversary.

--- End quote ---

Thanks... I really don't know where the years went.
-Karen

Karen_A:

--- Quote from: Rachel on August 28, 2021, 07:11:03 pm ---I am only going on 5 years post op. Much is the same but much is different.

--- End quote ---

Well somethings are different for me, but outside of the changes that aging brings,  nothing significant has changed from before SRS or transition itself really. Much of that is because I stayed married from before, stayed working in the same field (and 10 years at my pre-transition job) , still live in the same house as before, don't pass that well (which was important to me) , am not an outgoing person (And not wanting to socialize while readable).

Thinking about the the latter and my age is where the title to the thread came from. the opening words are:

--- Quote ---Time, time time, see what's become of me
While I looked around for my possibilities
I was so hard to please
Don't look around
The leaves are brown
And the sky is a hazy shade of winter

--- End quote ---

When an anniversary like this comes up, and being of retirement age (I am still working however), thoughts and feeling like that tend to come to mind.

--- Quote --- There are still challenges and bigotry.

--- End quote ---

I have experienced  some  bigotry over the years but not a lot... part of the reason it was not a lot , beside living in pretty accepting area,  is being a homebody I suspect.

--- Quote --- I associate with a group that is very open minded and poly. Several of the guys expressed interest in dating but I do not know. Poly relationships can be difficult.

--- End quote ---

Staying married from before means I have never had a sexual relationship as a woman... I know having someone who loves me and I care a lot about is much more important than sex...

But I can't help wishing I had the experience of having a man be attracted to me as woman and making love to me... While i suspect the reality would not live up my imagination, i very would have like to have had a het romantic relationship... If my marriage had not survived and I was more passable (and better looking) , I would have definitely tried to live the life of a het woman with the right guy.

But that is not my life, and I have a lot to grateful for as is.

-Karen

sarahc:

--- Quote from: Karen_A on August 29, 2021, 09:59:48 am ---Where did you have SRS?

I no longer remember how long I stayed in the hospital, but I think it was at least a week... Partly it was the times but I think more  that Eastmorland was a very small community hospital and not very busy, so Meltzer was able to make a special deal with them. They let my spouse sleep in my room in a reclining chair so we did not have to also pay for a hotel.

--- End quote ---

My understanding is that Meltzer still requires patients to stay for nine days in the hospital (which to me sounds insane if there aren’t complications). I guess his view is that there are enough instances of complications that it makes sense to just keep people admitted.

Sarah

Oldandcreaky:
This line has me admiring you: "But that is not my life, and I have a lot to grateful for as is."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version