Author Topic: Made an appointment with a Trans Doctor that specializes in Trans care.  (Read 872 times)

Offline Brooke Renee

I am super excited, not only did I find a Doctor that specializes in trans care but she is also and trans woman.  We spoke over the phone yesterday and I have my first appointment with her next week.  Can you ladies recommend some discussion topics?  She has set aside a full hour for our first appointment and I want to make the most of it.  I'm sure we will do a physical and discuss how I want to move forward.  Being that I have just recently accepted the fact that I am transgender I am somewhat overwhelmed.  Where to start?

Oh!  When I filled out my paperwork I defined my gender as female for the first time ever.  For years I would scream inside about that question but not this time!  This time I smiled and I am still smiling.   

Thank you and Happy Friday,

Brooke

Offline Battle Goddess

Re: Made an appointment with a Trans Doctor that specializes in Trans care.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 11:13:30 am »
Happy Friday to you, too, Brooke. Love your name!

Is that not the greatest feeling? Getting to a place where I could simply admit to myself that I am who I am was a huge step. Admitting it to someone else, in writing yet, was just as grand.

Gee whiz. Sounds like the first step in AA, don't it? Except happy.

Before I suggest anything for you to ask, I would first ask of you what you are most curious about?
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Freedom comes at a high price. But I have paid it, and I am free." -- M. Ali

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline Brooke Renee

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 11:34:43 am »
Happy Friday to you, too, Brooke. Love your name!

Is that not the greatest feeling? Getting to a place where I could simply admit to myself that I am who I am was a huge step. Admitting it to someone else, in writing yet, was just as grand.

Gee whiz. Sounds like the first step in AA, don't it? Except happy.

Before I suggest anything for you to ask, I would first ask of you what you are most curious about?

I guess I am not sure or just too overwhelmed to put together a coherent thought.  What comes to mind is dipping my toes into HRT and ways to alleviate the dysphoria. 

Thank you for the compliment on my name.  I spend a lot of time in the mountains so Brooke is a great way to incorporate my passion into my feminine self. 

Offline JamieH

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 11:50:20 am »
Congrats Brooke.  This is a great first step.  I recently did the same and have my first appointment tomorrow (if it doesn't get cancelled again).  This will be my first time telling this stuff to another human being.  I too am very excited.

My paper work was pretty invasive.  I basically said most of the stuff in my Jamie H Help Please thread, so I gave her plenty to topics to start with.  I've tried making a list of topics I want to cover, but one of the ladies here suggested just letting the therapist lead.  Seems like a good idea.

I can't tell you how to approach your own session, but I'd say be prepared to tell your "origin" story, your triggers, how long this has been going on.  What you think you want out of therapy and a possible transition etc. 

An hour goes by fast, so I'm trying to temper my excitement to pour it all out with a reality check that she's probably gonna ask a ton of questions that may steer things in different directions that anything I've prepared for. 

Good luck though!  I hope to hear how things went after your appointment.

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 12:25:04 pm »

Thank you for the compliment on my name.  I spend a lot of time in the mountains so Brooke is a great way to incorporate my passion into my feminine self.

Nice. I'm glad I didn't figure things out when I was traveling so much for business. I might have ended up with something like "Aileronne." Or, considering my general attitude to life, "Malpensa."

Wow. Malpensa would have been such a cool name! Like an evil sorceress in a Disney movie. Maybe I'll make "Malpensa/Malpensa/Malpensa's" my preferred pronouns.

But enough about my ridiculous life.

Brooke, I think you surfaced one big issue there with HRT, and that's a conversation you should definitely be having with a medical doctor experienced with trans folks. Sounds like you've probably found a very good one.

And of course, you're not going to get any hormones on your very first visit. At the very least, you and your doc will want to run a full set of labs first. Kidney function, liver, lipids, yadda yadda.

So if you want my recommendation, it's to approach your doctor in the spirit of partnership rather than as a supplicant. That requires being an informed consumer before going to Doctor's office.

Therefore I would also read up on HRT. A lot. Different meds, different combos, different side effects, which are legal where you live, the generally preferred first path of treatment where you live, what to try if that doesn't work out for a person... stuff like that. Read, read, read. Take notes. There's no way you can ask every question in that first session, but you can prioritize.

Finally, I would set aside time at the end of the visit to ask Doctor what questions you haven't asked that you should have. She's been there; you haven't yet. You will, you will, on a pace of your own choosing. You have resources. You have time. That doctor can be a great source of help.

Good luck.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline JamieH

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 12:30:31 pm »
sorry I think I misread lol...thought you were seeing a therapist but seems your seeing a physician.  Regardless, good step. 

Offline Brooke Renee

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 01:49:46 pm »
sorry I think I misread lol...thought you were seeing a therapist but seems your seeing a physician.  Regardless, good step.

No worries!  Thank you for your response and thoughts.  I am going to try and focus and not have a total word vomit when I met with her.

Offline Brooke Renee

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 01:52:51 pm »

Nice. I'm glad I didn't figure things out when I was traveling so much for business. I might have ended up with something like "Aileronne." Or, considering my general attitude to life, "Malpensa."

Wow. Malpensa would have been such a cool name! Like an evil sorceress in a Disney movie. Maybe I'll make "Malpensa/Malpensa/Malpensa's" my preferred pronouns.

But enough about my ridiculous life.

Brooke, I think you surfaced one big issue there with HRT, and that's a conversation you should definitely be having with a medical doctor experienced with trans folks. Sounds like you've probably found a very good one.

And of course, you're not going to get any hormones on your very first visit. At the very least, you and your doc will want to run a full set of labs first. Kidney function, liver, lipids, yadda yadda.

So if you want my recommendation, it's to approach your doctor in the spirit of partnership rather than as a supplicant. That requires being an informed consumer before going to Doctor's office.

Therefore I would also read up on HRT. A lot. Different meds, different combos, different side effects, which are legal where you live, the generally preferred first path of treatment where you live, what to try if that doesn't work out for a person... stuff like that. Read, read, read. Take notes. There's no way you can ask every question in that first session, but you can prioritize.

Finally, I would set aside time at the end of the visit to ask Doctor what questions you haven't asked that you should have. She's been there; you haven't yet. You will, you will, on a pace of your own choosing. You have resources. You have time. That doctor can be a great source of help.

Good luck.

Thanks for the great suggestions.  I know this is just the first step of many but it's hard not to want to press the FF button!  Self acceptance is great but it also brings up thoughts of wasted time. 

Offline AnonyMs

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 04:38:23 pm »
Worth bearing in mind that being trans doesn't make her good. I've met a couple of trans doctors and I'd definitely not get on with them. They are just people at the end of the day. So ask all the questions you'd normally ask of a new doctor, if you have any.

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
    • Unordinary Style
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 07:22:41 am »

And of course, you're not going to get any hormones on your very first visit.

I guess that depends on where you live and who you see.  I got my first prescription for HRT on my very first visit with my doctor.  Here in CA we are informed consent so that wasn't an issue.  And I was started on such low doses and was in decent physical condition with no contra indications for treatment, so I left with my scrip for E and a blocker. 

I was super nervous for that first appointment and had no idea how to go about the conversation.  Lucky for me I found an experienced doctor who had actually heard versions of my story for years.  She walked me through much of it with kindness and patience.  It was actually one of the easiest Dr appointments I have ever had.  And one of the best as well.

Good luck!

Offline Misato

• I thought I was out, but I've been pulled back in.
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2021, 07:32:09 am »
Good luck. The road ahead is one wild ride but if you’re destined to take it, it’s also worth it.

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 08:50:36 am »
I guess that depends on where you live and who you see.  I got my first prescription for HRT on my very first visit with my doctor.  Here in CA we are informed consent so that wasn't an issue.  And I was started on such low doses and was in decent physical condition with no contra indications for treatment, so I left with my scrip for E and a blocker. 

I was super nervous for that first appointment and had no idea how to go about the conversation.  Lucky for me I found an experienced doctor who had actually heard versions of my story for years.  She walked me through much of it with kindness and patience.  It was actually one of the easiest Dr appointments I have ever had.  And one of the best as well.

Good luck!
You're right. I shouldn't have been so assertive or confidently predictive.

Probably had two things going on. I didn't want Brooke to feel disappointed if she left the doc without an Rx after the first visit. So part of it was expectations management.

That, and no doubt it reflects my own personal bias of extreme caution, which is doubtless truly overcaution, towards any med.

Sorry about that, Brooke. That's the problem with advice, isn't it? We all get out over our skis, even with the best of intentions.

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2021, 09:05:09 am »

Probably had two things going on. I didn't want Brooke to feel disappointed if she left the doc without an Rx after the first visit. So part of it was expectations management.

That, and no doubt it reflects my own personal bias of extreme caution, which is doubtless truly overcaution, towards any med.

Sorry about that, Brooke. That's the problem with advice, isn't it? We all get out over our skis, even with the best of intentions.

^This is gracious with a capital G.^

I also like the advice about overcaution regarding meds. My best friend was poisoned by Pepto Bismol. You'd think that chalky, pink liquid would be the most benign of all meds, but she presented like a person deep into Alzheimer's because of the bismuth poisoning. If Pepto can take you down, everything else can.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2021, 07:48:10 pm »
I also like the advice about overcaution regarding meds. My best friend was poisoned by Pepto Bismol. You'd think that chalky, pink liquid would be the most benign of all meds, but she presented like a person deep into Alzheimer's because of the bismuth poisoning. If Pepto can take you down, everything else can.

Adverse drug reactions are possible with all drugs. The most common factor in many adverse reactions is taking too much of that particular drug. This is an overdose plain and simple. Just because a medication does not require a prescription doesn't mean that it is totally and perfectly safe.

When we take any medication, we must balance the benefits against the risks.

As always, I recomend taking the lowest possible dose that will get you the desired response, especially if that dose is much lower than listed maximums and never go above recomended maximum dose.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 05:35:49 am by Rakel »

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Brooke Renee

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2021, 08:26:51 pm »

Good luck!

Thank you Nadine!  Adventure! 

Offline Brooke Renee

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2021, 08:28:59 pm »

It's all good, I am just happy to finally be making a move toward my authentic self.  Shoot, I might even splurge on a pedi afterwards!   

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2021, 08:29:54 pm »
It's all good, I am just happy to finally be making a move toward my authentic self.  Shoot, I might even splurge on a pedi afterwards!
Now we're talking! What color you gonna get?

Divigel January 20 2019

Tags: