Author Topic: Calling all mathemagicians and science nerds!  (Read 4901 times)

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Re: Calling all mathemagicians and science nerds!
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2022, 09:55:17 am »
All these cheesy posts are really grating on me. :angel: :laugh:
Veteran, US Army

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2022, 03:59:20 pm »

Okay, no cheese; but, please enjoy this delicious slice of Pi.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

I am a brown eyed brunette.

Offline Battle Goddess

• Mentally Interesting
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2022, 05:18:07 pm »

Okay, no cheese; but, please enjoy this delicious slice of Pi.

Chrissy
That one transcends the real.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Freedom comes at a high price. But I have paid that price, and I am free." -- Muhammad Ali

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

"When going through hell, best keep moving." -- Old & KIA

“Darling,” She said, “it doesn’t matter. You have only one choice. You can walk farther along the path or not. It is a narrow path. You may be scared about lifting your foot up to take your next step. It doesn’t matter. You don’t have to step very far. It’s up to you.
"But all you get to do is choose. Your anxieties, your fears, your courage, your happiness, your rage: go ahead and feel them all you want. They don’t matter. What matters is what you choose.
“I can promise you a long and fascinating road. I’ll give you tools along the way. I’ll be with you every step.
“Now make your choice.” --  my beloved Battle Goddess

Offline Mary_M

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2022, 04:44:03 am »
In my very first line I defined the finite size of the tube to 70 squeezes...
A potential 71st portion would take 4096 seconds to squeeze, which is one hour eight minutes and 16 seconds.

Be honest: have you actually squeezed a tube of toothpaste continuously for more than one hour?

I thought not! (It's OK: I don't blame you for not wanting to do so!  ;))

Therefore, your definition of only 70 portions is only an assumption with no empirical verification.

So the toothpaste realm is still a viable hypothesis.  ;D

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2022, 04:58:50 am »
What a can of worms! Which leads to our next question....

How many worms are there in a can of worms?
Veteran, US Army

Offline Rakel

• rah KEL
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2022, 06:51:22 am »
Three-part question:

1. How much macaroni goes to the landfill stuck in the glue at the bottom of the box?

2. How much time is spent knocking them loose by people who are absolutely NOT going to let that one elbow go to the landfill.

3. Are you one of those people?

Mac and cheese, anyone?  ::)

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Battle Goddess

• Mentally Interesting
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2022, 07:35:56 am »
...your definition of only 70 portions is only an assumption with no empirical verification.

So the toothpaste realm is still a viable hypothesis.  ;D

It further occurs to me that we have not yet debated what happens when we rotate the toothpaste tube ninety degrees and start squeezing out all the imaginary toothpaste.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Freedom comes at a high price. But I have paid that price, and I am free." -- Muhammad Ali

“Darling,” She said, “it doesn’t matter. You have only one choice. You can walk farther along the path or not. It is a narrow path. You may be scared about lifting your foot up to take your next step. It doesn’t matter. You don’t have to step very far. It’s up to you.
"But all you get to do is choose. Your anxieties, your fears, your courage, your happiness, your rage: go ahead and feel them all you want. They don’t matter. What matters is what you choose.
“I can promise you a long and fascinating road. I’ll give you tools along the way. I’ll be with you every step.

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2022, 07:55:32 am »
It further occurs to me that we have not yet debated what happens when we rotate the toothpaste tube ninety degrees and start squeezing out all the imaginary toothpaste.

It would be bad!

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Total protonic reversal.
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2022, 08:17:11 am »

Starting with trying to define an average Lumbricus terrestris (earthworm).. it seems likely (after extensive digging in the back yard and copiously measuring each worm I came across) that 35mm by 8mm is near enough the 'norm'...
Also worth noting that being hermaphroditic, earthworms have no sexuality or gender issues..

so volume of our average worm is 
 V = r x pi^2 x h

V= 8 x 9.8696 x 35

V = 2763.5 mm^3

or about 2.8 cubic centimetres

a standard #1 (tall) US can is 12oz or 2 cups.. which equates to 473 cc

473/2.8  gives you approx.. 169 earthworms in a standard #1 can...

That is unless you make a pate out of them first.. this would reduce their volume by 60% and so, you could have 422.5 earthwomrs.. and something nice to go on your toast in the morning...

*no earthworms were harmed during this research..
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2022, 08:45:00 am »

Starting with trying to define an average Lumbricus terrestris (earthworm).. it seems likely (after extensive digging in the back yard and copiously measuring each worm I came across) that 35mm by 8mm is near enough the 'norm'...
Also worth noting that being hermaphroditic, earthworms have no sexuality or gender issues..

V = r x pi^2 x h

V= 8 x 9.8696 x 35

V = 2763.5 mm^3

That is unless you make a pate out of them first.. this would reduce their volume by 60% and so, you could have 422.5 earthwomrs.. and something nice to go on your toast in the morning...

OMG! Exactly the kind of answer I'm looking for!  ;D

+1 for you.  :)
Veteran, US Army

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2022, 12:50:34 pm »

V = r x pi^2 x h

V= 8 x 9.8696 x 35

V = 2763.5 mm^3

That makes sense.  It adds up.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

I am a brown eyed brunette.

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2022, 01:11:48 pm »
This was the best part:

"Also worth noting that being hermaphroditic, earthworms have no sexuality or gender issues..
Veteran, US Army

Offline JanePlain

• Just Plain Jay Please!
  • Jay
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2022, 02:45:39 pm »
Nice!  :)

I'm probably just a tad OCD so its not time wasted!  Its... ummm required.  And I smash flat the bottom and carefully fold it up so its all used. 

Do I win?!? 

p.s. I once was quite addicted to a computer game called Sim City.  I wrote the company that published the software telling them how much I enjoyed it and was surprsed to get a large box in return with posters, a "mayors hat" and other sorts of really cool Sim City stuff...  Then while wearing my new hat and tacking up the first of the posters I pondered how much time I had spent in the artificial world of Sim City which produced nothing... or in other words I flashed to my final moments on earth where I was wearing my Sim City hat and sobbing "I wish I had spent more of my life vegging out playing Sim City."

I pondered this for a moment and took the hat and all the other free stuff (And the game) and pushed them deep to the bottom of my trash and vowed never to become "addicted" to another computer game.

I almost cracked when Sarah showed me a game that would let me drive a simulation of my beloved RX8 (With I admit - amazing graphics)  But I've driven my actual RX8 faster and that was much more fun speeding by people indicating "Your Number 1" by showing me their middle finger when I left them in a cloud of dust. 
"This world is but canvas to our imaginations.
Henry David Thoreau - (1817-1862)

Offline Battle Goddess

• Mentally Interesting
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2022, 05:33:03 pm »
It would be bad!

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Total protonic reversal.
No, no. That's when you turn it inside-out and try to squeeze the tube out.

Tags: