Author Topic: Tough crowd?  (Read 692 times)

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
Tough crowd?
« on: October 13, 2021, 09:57:15 pm »
I contrasted the number of times my posts have garnered applause versus the number of times I've applauded. I applaud about four times for every time I'm applauded. Is it better to give than to receive or is this a tough crowd or both?

How about you? Are you more of a giver or a receiver? Whatever the case, why do you think that is?

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: Tough crowd?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 10:54:46 pm »
@Oldandcreaky
Dear O&C:
"Tough Crowd?" ...  I know that is not true, the vast majority of members here on the Forums usually and frequently offer acceptance, support and encouragement... and not always do they frequently give out Applaud points.   
As you are aware, I am a Moderator here on the Forums and for the few members that I interface with in my Moderation tasks I am certainly not always winning a popularity contest with some of them.... but that reaction obviously comes with the job... a job that I do as a result of my love for the Susan's Place Forums, such a valuable resource for all of us.

I think (no, I know) that it is best for you to not look at the number of "Positive" Reputation Points (Applauds) that you receive as any kind of indication of your acceptance and popularity here on the Forums.

A couple years ago the Forums Staff policy mostly eliminated and discouraged the use of "Negative" Reputation Points (Smites) as a way to stop the misuse of them, some members were using Retaliatory Smites as a form of vindictive and revengeful behavior toward other members.
That behavior resulted in strict Moderator actions.

Just depending on how your followers and readers react to your posts, comments and thoughts that you share ... you may receive many or may receive few Positive Reputation Applaud Points.   Some members are not especially inclined to give out Applaud Points and others more so. 
Newer members on the Forums can not give out Reputation Applaud Points until they reach a threshold of 50 postings.

Here is an announcement that Susan posted regarding the rules for Reputation Points:
                        Reputation Rules
   https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,18960.msg146855.html#msg146855

O&C...I want to state it again.... please don't look at the number of Positive Reputation Applaud Points that you receive as any kind of indicator of your acceptance and/or a vote of your popularity.

There are members here that have thousands and thousand of posts that have fewer Positive Reputation Applaud Points than members that have far less posts.

Any questions or comments please message me or post a reply comment on your thread here.

HUGS and more HUGS,
Danielle

I contrasted the number of times my posts have garnered applause versus the number of times I've applauded. I applaud about four times for every time I'm applauded. Is it better to give than to receive or is this a tough crowd or both?

How about you? Are you more of a giver or a receiver? Whatever the case, why do you think that is?
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 12:46:07 am »
Yeah I'm one of those who almost never give reputation points. I remember when I joined the site I took Susan's admonition to heart, that reputation was for extraordinary posts. And so the whole idea just dropped off my radar and I never think of it.

O&C, I really value what you write. In fact I only came onto Susan's tonight because I noticed your name in the notifications on my phone, which is how I nearly always use Susan's. Thank you, thank you for all you bring to this site. You are one of our treasures.

Well, along with Danielle who does such a marvelous job moderating this site. That's a lot, lot of work, and I really appreciate that too!

Edit: I just noticed that I can't give reputation points using Tapatalk, which is the app I use for Susan's. Don't take it personally.
Thanks,
Randi

My smartphone thinks it's smarter than me. It's probably right.
Forging my new, best life as Randi

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 02:51:28 am »
TBH I have yet to work out how to do that and I tend to lurk and not reply unless I feel I have a valid comment, as I am outside the "normal" for most folk on here then I do not have much to add.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever.
I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 03:27:04 am »

Oldandcreaky, I am guilty of not giving many reputation credits, but it is mostly because I give of myself as best I can, and don't really look at the reputations. It is nice to receive a pat on the back at times, (thank you for yesterday!) but if you hadn't made this post, I probably wouldn't have looked at my status. Credits can be detrimental to sites like these, but they can also provide a tool for the staff to see which types of posts are best supported, and guide the direction of the site.

Staff, especially moderators who put themselves on the line every day for nothing but the love of it, deserve reputations every time they act on behalf of the site, but that's not why they do it. I guess here, it provides a means of showing some gratitude for something special, without having to make a post, but you have to go through your status to see someone has given you a reputation, something I rarely do!

Hugs,

Allie

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 06:49:22 am »
Most of the times when I applaud someone's reputation is when they post their first message. I also reply with the Welcome Packet.

I do confess that I only occasionally applaud someone for their comments. Maybe this is because I am where I need to be and I know what works for me. I only hear something new and profound on rare occasions, but when I do, I will applaud the writer. They deserve the credit.  ;D

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline BritneyX

• Formerly Known As The Closeted Bronie
  • MTF - Finding Equilibrium
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 06:59:11 am »

I, for one, value all inputs, as everyone does bring something to the table, even though it may seem a bit imperceptible at times.    (Is that a run on sentence or what?   :police:)   We all are on this walk of Life, yet on different pathways, ebbing and flowing, between how divergent those paths are.  We encoourage and support each other thru due intercourse of our personal experiences, understanding, beliefs and raw emotions.  Discussion, the ability to communicate, connects us to each other...all of Humanity, really.   Even negative discussions and engagements can bear fruit, if taken with a positive approach.  I dare say that Susan's Place has been an intergral part for many of us here, as we muddled in the darkness to discover who we Truly are.  While kudos are always a positive, we should not be reliant upon that system to assign any sort of value to any comment.  One could, quite literally, spend the entirety of their precious time engaging in kudos to the point that they are no longer engaged in the discussion.  To paraphrase the old quote, always be weary of a good thing becoming too much.

I have been offline for some while, due to no internet, no cell, and a pile up of Life lessons that tried its level best to derail me.  So could someone explain, si vous plais, just how do I go about to tender kudos on this forum?    I can promise a kudo. ;D
"Out of all the attributes of humanity, the only one that matters most, is the one that cannot fail you.  That is Honesty. Without it, nothing else about your person will hold up." :angel:

Offline Pammie

• Up
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 07:22:14 am »
I use the Tapatalk mobile app and im not sure it supports the giving of points?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jessica_Rose

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 08:01:52 am »
@BritneyX , I don't need any kudos, but I will answer your question. Using the Chrome browser, the user's avatar appears on the left side of each post. Under the avatar is a 'posts' field, then a 'reputation' field, under those are green 'applause' and red 'smite' buttons. The 'applause' button gives a positive reputation point, while the 'smite' gives a negative point.

I rarely give applause, because the guidelines mention applause should be reserved for something extraordinary. I have never given a smite, because we are all entitled to our own opinion. The few posts I have seen which deserved a smite were removed by our awesome moderators! On rare occasions I have broken the rules, but I have always been treated fairly on this site. Like parents admonishing their children, moderators are trying to help keep this a safe and happy home for all of us.

Love always -- Jessica Rose

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 01:58:38 pm »
I'm a curmudgeon, which means many won't applaud me. Plus, I aim for concision, which can be mistaken for sloth, i.e. someone too lazy to write more than a few words. Concisions is my training. It's expensive to print hundreds of thousands of copies of a magazine, so saying more with less gets me gigs.

On the other hand, I do like to encourage people. I've walked this hard path and an applause point is a pat on the back. I didn't know that some posters lack the means to applaud someone.

Offline Rachel_Christina

• Family
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 02:43:23 pm »
I have never once looked into how ones does the thumbs up or down thing.
I have gotten a few actually. But it was a long time before I realized I was gathering them but I have never looked in to how to actually give the feedback myself to everyone else.
Probably should use it more.
Though I have become relatively quiet here.
I guess the more we get on with life we forget more and more about being trans atall and need less and less the support.
Again possibly still good to be here for others and some adding perspectives to others posts or points ov view

Offline Tess100

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 08:52:40 pm »
Interesting thread, I have always wondered how the reputations thing worked.

Offline Faith

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 06:54:16 am »
I had to look. I do remember getting my first ones and then after that, when it got my attention, I was more interested in the reason give than the actual points.  I also had to look and, yes, I actually gave a point once.

I've found that if something moves me, good or ill, I'll respond in the topic. Some (most) of the ill would be disagreements of opinion or perception and thus I tend to not respond. Come to think of it, I don't respond much in agreement either. Hmm .. guess I'm just boring :P

It's been over a year since I was given a point and I only looked now because of this topic.

Offline Pammie

• Up
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 02:29:12 pm »
I use the Tapatalk mobile app and im not sure it supports the giving of points?

I think we seem to not realise that this site works much less well in it’s mobile guise!

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 11:22:11 pm »
I tend to only applaud outstanding posts that I read, and find that every once in a blue moon, I might get applauded for a post that someone else finds outstanding. I certainly don't anticipate any points for my posts, nor do I write them for that purpose. As long as I can help someone along the way, that is reward enough; whether I ever hear back from them or not. Someone else in a similar situation could utilize the same help / information. Isn't that really what us long-timers are here for?
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

I don't have wrinkles. I have wise cracks.

Offline BritneyX

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 01:52:02 am »
@Jessica_Rose
Merci beaucoup!  I don't think I would have ever figured that out on my archaicly slow, small screen laptop.  We traveled the world together in the back of a Herc, but it is about time for her to retire.  So for your tremendous help, you have my sincere appreciation and an Applaud.  Thank you so very much. 
"Out of all the attributes of humanity, the only one that matters most, is the one that cannot fail you.  That is Honesty. Without it, nothing else about your person will hold up." :angel:

Offline BritneyX

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2021, 01:57:57 am »
I had to look. I do remember getting my first ones and then after that, when it got my attention, I was more interested in the reason give than the actual points.  I also had to look and, yes, I actually gave a point once.

Well this thread has really been quite the little eye-opener with reflective discussion.  For that, our lovely OP should receive an applaud. 

Offline Pammie

• Up
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2021, 04:50:33 pm »
Well this thread has really been quite the little eye-opener with reflective discussion.  For that, our lovely OP should receive an applaud.
Sadly as I mentioned, I use the mobile Tapatalk app and it appears that feature is not available

Tags: