General Discussions > General discussions

I think just gave up my job... Now what?

(1/1)

MirandaLove:
I've been working in a highly stressful job for the last 10 years. I should have quit 2-3 years ago, but I tried to make it work, partly because of Covid. I was happy to still have a good job, but it is a frontline position. People have been <jerks> and everyday I'm insulted and berated, people swear at me, call out my "transgender mannerisms".  It has finally gotten to me and my work performance has deteriorated.

I had a vacation planned for two weeks, and I was going to use the time to really consider taking another 12 weeks of FMLA time off for my personal mental health.  But as the vacation day came closer and closer, I realized that I mentally have one foot out the door, but no plan or prospect for a new job.  As I was trying to leave notes for "while I'm on vacation" I realized that I was in a far deeper mess than I originally thought... I had dropped the ball on a number of important issues and it seemed impossible to ever catch up, and to dig myself out of the hole.

I left my office for my vacation, leaving a mess of problems and issues that will need to be addressed while I'm out. I've never been irresponsible like that and now I'm fairly sure that when my corporate office sends someone to cover my vacation, they are going to see how bad it is and I will probably be let go.

And in all of this, my body feels like it is time to leave my job even as I have no plan B, no savings, I will have no place to stay unless I couch surf.  Worst of all is my teenage son will probably hate me too.

I'm just at a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pammie:

--- Quote from: MirandaLove on October 16, 2021, 02:24:55 pm ---I've been working in a highly stressful job for the last 10 years. I should have quit 2-3 years ago, but I tried to make it work, partly because of Covid. I was happy to still have a good job, but it is a frontline position. People have been <jerks&gt and everyday I'm insulted and berated, people swear at me, call out my "transgender mannerisms".  It has finally gotten to me and my work performance has deteriorated.

I had a vacation planned for two weeks, and I was going to use the time to really consider taking another 12 weeks of FMLA time off for my personal mental health.  But as the vacation day came closer and closer, I realized that I mentally have one foot out the door, but no plan or prospect for a new job.  As I was trying to leave notes for "while I'm on vacation" I realized that I was in a far deeper mess than I originally thought... I had dropped the ball on a number of important issues and it seemed impossible to ever catch up, and to dig myself out of the hole.

I left my office for my vacation, leaving a mess of problems and issues that will need to be addressed while I'm out. I've never been irresponsible like that and now I'm fairly sure that when my corporate office sends someone to cover my vacation, they are going to see how bad it is and I will probably be let go.

And in all of this, my body feels like it is time to leave my job even as I have no plan B, no savings, I will have no place to stay unless I couch surf.  Worst of all is my teenage son will probably hate me too.

I'm just at a loss.

--- End quote ---
I think you need to see a doctor to get a diagnosis of mental health issues. I can’t imagine they could just let you go then?
That said, it doesn’t sound like you are able to function in this role currently so you need to look for something less stressful for a while

Rakel:
Transition has it's costs and unfortunately, acceptance by others is not always possible. When it hits how we make our livelyhood, it is especially hard to bare. This difficulty has caused many of us with severe gender dysphoria to abandon any possibility of continuing in the transistion process.

If you need a different job, then make a plan. I have done this a few times in my life. If you plan well, changing jobs can be a vast improvement in your life. Every time I changed jobs, I always upgraded to better salary and working conditions.

What I am trying to say is this, don't be afraid of change. You can make it work for you.

Take care and plan well.  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version