Community Conversation > Male to female transsexual talk (MTF)

Anyone taking "One A Day Womens" multivitamins?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Rakel:

--- Quote from: Margrit on October 26, 2021, 03:52:19 am ---Oh yes there can be iron in it, even a higher amount. Sometimes people can get digestion issues from that.
Talking to you Doc is the right thing to keep it safe…

--- End quote ---

It is true that Iron suppliments can cause constipation, however, the amounts in a daily multi-vitamin are so low that very few people will have any problem with them.

Getting back to the OP question, womens multi-vitamins are more of a marketing gimic than anything else. Just look at the list of ingredients on the bottle label and you will see more difference between brands than you will see in specific womens vitamins.

Lastly, if you eat a well balanced diet of veggies and fruit with some lean meat, grain and dairy, you can live a long and healthy life without vitamin suppliments.  :o  Just my opinion.

Angélique LaCava:

--- Quote from: Rakel on October 26, 2021, 07:20:01 am ---It is true that Iron suppliments can cause constipation, however, the amounts in a daily multi-vitamin are so low that very few people will have any problem with them.

Getting back to the OP question, womens multi-vitamins are more of a marketing gimic than anything else. Just look at the list of ingredients on the bottle label and you will see more difference between brands than you will see in specific womens vitamins.

Lastly, if you eat a well balanced diet of veggies and fruit with some lean meat, grain and dairy, you can live a long and healthy life without vitamin suppliments.  :o  Just my opinion.

--- End quote ---
that's why I want vitamins. I eat probably once a day and I've never touched a veggie in my life.

BritneyX:
I take a slew of vitamins, Flaxseed and Fish oil for eyes, skin, hair and nail health.  I do take a single women's multi-vitamin because it was onsale at the VA Patriot Store and my blood work demonstrated that I was low on Iron.  The low iron and some blood protein marker had them wigging out at the VA.  They thought I was about to die from blood loss, internal or externally.  Actually had a Doctor call me on a Sunday evening, ready to send an ambulance to get me.  Turns out, I am either already dead or just have oddball body chemistry.   ;D  Obviously, it is that latter, so the extra iron works out for me.  Unfortunately, nothing is saving my hair from falling out, pooh!   >:(

Harley Quinn:

--- Quote from: Angélique LaCava on October 26, 2021, 11:18:02 am --- that's why I want vitamins. I eat probably once a day and I've never touched a veggie in my life.

--- End quote ---
Multi-vitamins are "ok".  They're a poor substitute for getting them through food, but work as a supplement to "patch" minor holes in your daily diet.  Vitamins have a fairly low absorption rate compared to what you would get from food; so most of it is a waste.  Be careful with the one meal a day thing.  It will end up wreaking havoc on your metabolism.  Even small meals several times a day would be better.


--- Quote from: BritneyX on November 03, 2021, 12:54:12 am ---I take a slew of vitamins, Flaxseed and Fish oil for eyes, skin, hair and nail health.  I do take a single women's multi-vitamin because it was onsale at the VA Patriot Store and my blood work demonstrated that I was low on Iron.  The low iron and some blood protein marker had them wigging out at the VA.  They thought I was about to die from blood loss, internal or externally.  Actually had a Doctor call me on a Sunday evening, ready to send an ambulance to get me.  Turns out, I am either already dead or just have oddball body chemistry.   ;D  Obviously, it is that latter, so the extra iron works out for me.  Unfortunately, nothing is saving my hair from falling out, pooh!   >:(

--- End quote ---
Ouch!  I had an issue with low iron.  I incorporate more red meats into my daily diet.  Med-rare burgers, roasts, and blue rare steak. It's kept me off their radar for a while.  Low Iron can cause hair loss, interestingly enough. 

I ran into a problem with "extreme" shedding, and hair loss.  I learned a couple things from the doctors.  Even with low testosterone, you can have higher levels of DHT in the scalp.  Simply reducing testosterone will not necessarily reduce the levels of DHT your body will produce.  Finasteride or Dutraside will help there.  Also micronized progesterone will help as a 5a Reductase inhibitor (Medroxyprogesterone is often pushed at the VA, but you can get actual Prometrium).  All 3 are available through the VA, though Dutraside is a little more difficult being an "off label" use but still can be done.  They also offer Minoxidil in topical, foam, and oral on the Formulary.  Your GP, OB, or Endocrinologist should be able to either prescribe or refer you to a Dermatologist at the VA.  If none of that seems to work, you can also get human hair wigs through the VA.  They will fit you.

BritneyX:

--- Quote from: Harley Quinn on November 06, 2021, 04:48:46 am ---Multi-vitamins are "ok".  They're a poor substitute for getting them through food, but work as a supplement to "patch" minor holes in your daily diet.  Vitamins have a fairly low absorption rate compared to what you would get from food; so most of it is a waste.  Be careful with the one meal a day thing.  It will end up wreaking havoc on your metabolism.  Even small meals several times a day would be better.
Ouch!  I had an issue with low iron.  I incorporate more red meats into my daily diet.  Med-rare burgers, roasts, and blue rare steak. It's kept me off their radar for a while.  Low Iron can cause hair loss, interestingly enough. 

I ran into a problem with "extreme" shedding, and hair loss.  I learned a couple things from the doctors.  Even with low testosterone, you can have higher levels of DHT in the scalp.  Simply reducing testosterone will not necessarily reduce the levels of DHT your body will produce.  Finasteride or Dutraside will help there.  Also micronized progesterone will help as a 5a Reductase inhibitor (Medroxyprogesterone is often pushed at the VA, but you can get actual Prometrium).  All 3 are available through the VA, though Dutraside is a little more difficult being an "off label" use but still can be done.  They also offer Minoxidil in topical, foam, and oral on the Formulary.  Your GP, OB, or Endocrinologist should be able to either prescribe or refer you to a Dermatologist at the VA.  If none of that seems to work, you can also get human hair wigs through the VA.  They will fit you.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Harley Quinn.  If ya need a shot of iron, Asparagus is the way to go.  I can smell it in my urine 10-15 minutes after consuming it.  The VA has me on Finasteride and Spironolactone for blockers and oral Estradiol for estrogen.  My PCP, who was Transgender herself, prescribed me the Minoxidil.  My nails are getting stronger with my vitamin regimen.  I also changed my hair ties to the larger scrunchies and the cloth hair bands to cut down on pulling when exercising or working on something.  The DHT is being persnickety, for sure.  I also have a hydration problem. In the Navy, I trained myself to regularly run, not jog, 10 plus miles in the most oppressive heat without any liquids.  Base Security used to bark at me for breaking Black Flag Regs (too hot for outdoor exercise).  I would tell them that I am a Texan and this ain't hot.  They learned to leave me be. Unfortunately, I drink almost no liquids all day.  When I drank water, especially if it is not warm, I would get bad heartburn.  My Mom says that she has always had that problem too. As such, my blood is thick, my skin dry, hair dry/brittle, eyes and nasal passages chronically dry.  Part of my Disability is that I forget things that have subconscious triggers, like being thirsty.   I have found myself "forgetting" to breath a few times.  Guess I am just being lazy.  haha  I am looking into progesterone to be added to my HRT.  I am just in a transition between VA Hospital Regions at the moment.  Not something that gets done quickly or efficiently.   Being that the VA already killed me once (quite literally), I ain't in no rush to push the system any faster than it decides to go. 

Pretty kitty you got there, by the way.  Is it yours?  Sister, have a safe and memorable Veteran's Day..well uh, today!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version