Activism and Politics > Politics

Thoughts on Women Being Drafted?

<< < (3/3)

Battle Goddess:

--- Quote from: Evienne on November 22, 2021, 09:20:15 pm ---
WHAT!!!!??? Women don't have to sign up for selective services??? Since when? I never knew that! How odd.

*cough*

--- End quote ---

If memory serves, it was Jimmy Carter who put registration in place. Reagan kept calling him soft on defense, and registration was meant to counter that perception. Go figure that Carter had already ramped up defense spending enormously.

Ellie_Jean:

--- Quote from: Devlyn on November 24, 2021, 01:48:37 am ---It's a Thanksgiving tradition to join in and sing a bar of Alice's Restaurant the next time it comes around again on the guitar....with feeling.....and three part harmony.  :)

--- End quote ---

I'll hafta research it. 😁

Ellie_Jean:

--- Quote from: Battle Goddess on November 24, 2021, 03:14:51 pm ---To paraphrase the magnificent Milton Friedman, I would rather be protected by an army of mercenaries than an army of slaves.

The draft has always been so illiberal and unfair, from the Civil War on down, that I feel it's a fundamentally corrupt institution. Women, men, whoever: nobody should be subject to involuntary servitude without due process and conviction. 13th Amendment says so.

There's no shortage of young people willing to risk their fool necks in the military.  If you're not recruiting enough, give them better reasons to join. My old econ professor was wont to say, "There's no such thing as a labor shortage. There is such a thing as wages being too low."

--- End quote ---

🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version