Activism and Politics > Politics

Thoughts on Women Being Drafted?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Evienne:
Well considering we have plenty of women in the military these days, it only makes sense to me that they should be required as well cuz one second here while I get confused...

WHAT!!!!??? Women don't have to sign up for selective services??? Since when? I never knew that! How odd.

*cough*

...cuz I believe that it's only fair that such a law should apply to both sexes.
But even then, I doubt there would be a draft in the first place. It's kinda just a "just in case" thing because we've learned what a bad idea it is. And even in the worst case scenario, you can resist. You may go to jail, but they can't physically force you to do it. How would they?

Ellie_Jean:

--- Quote from: Misato on November 22, 2021, 08:35:41 pm ---Women should have to sign up for the draft.

--- End quote ---

I agree...only to the extent that I feel if we're going to force young men to sign up for War, then we should also force young women too as well, because women have been whooping butt in battle for literally thousands of years lol. I think it's sexist to say that they aren't as capable of warfare as men are.

...I just disagree with forcing young men and women into a war that they may not understand or believe in. ...It's also a really stupid idea, strictly strategically speak from a military sciences standpoint. A general should only ever want soldiers that WANT to be there. That's basically the whole point of boot camp: To separate the strong from the weak; the wheat from the chaff; the ones who want to be there from the ones who don't want to be there...and those who are there for the wrong reasons. 😕

--- Quote from: Misato on November 22, 2021, 08:35:41 pm ---Not that I think the USA is capable of pulling off a draft today given our deep divisions.

--- End quote ---

Trust me, the American government has a myriad of different ways of forcing citizens to do pretty much ANYTHING these days lol. Sadly, our government is ridiculously powerful and corrupt. Biden made things pretty clear on national television when he indirectly toyed with the idea of nuking citizens on American soil in regards to gun-rights activists who "think they need guns to protect themselves from the government" LOL. 🤣

--- Quote from: Misato on November 22, 2021, 08:35:41 pm ---We can’t even self-sacrifice to wear masks in a pandemic.

--- End quote ---

I'm an asthmatic autistic; it's not so much that I disagree with masks, it's that I get itchy and sweaty and panicky and start hyperventilating and end up with an anxiety-induced asthma attack. I wash my hands a lot though, and I hate being outside of my windowless bedroom because it's way too bright and loud...sooo, yeah, I don't wear a mask. Everybody should have the right to make choices in regards to their own health and body; always been super pro-choice for obvious reasons lol. The government should never try to take a cookie-cutter approach to policies that affect approximately 330 million people. ....Other than that I have no opinion LOL. 😅

--- Quote from: Misato on November 22, 2021, 08:35:41 pm ---But anyway the draft exists, and it’s not right to exclude women when women can do the jobs.

--- End quote ---

Totally and completely agree lol. 💯

--- Quote from: Misato on November 22, 2021, 08:35:41 pm ---So far the courts have held the Selective Service is constitutional based on Article 1 section 8.

--- End quote ---

...I'm gonna need you to be more specific than that lol; in exactly which Clause of Article 1 Section 8 does it say the government has the right to force citizens into battle against their will??? 🧐

--- Quote from: Misato on November 22, 2021, 08:35:41 pm ---The assertion that disliked things are unconstitutional isn’t helpful to discourse.

--- End quote ---

Totally agree. I'm just unaware of which specific Clause of Article 1 Section 8 it says the Government can force citizens into battle against their will lol. I don't remember learning about the Constitutional reasoning behind the draft in social studies...especially considering that the Selective Training and Service Act wasn't written until 1940 lol...I wasn't a super great student though because I was confined to the Special Ed class with the other developmentally disabled kids; I could totally be mistaken and not know too much about all of that silly adult mumbo jumbo hehehe! 🤪

--- Quote from: Misato on November 22, 2021, 08:35:41 pm ---It’ll stick around because elections are won on fear, and any effort to abolish the selective service would be a great tool to whip up paranoia that those behind the effort are, “making us less safe”™.

--- End quote ---

Dark view...definitely some truth to it though. The current rhetoric and accusations against "anti-vaxxers" and "anti-maskers" is a prime example lol. ...Kinda funny in a terrifying sorta way just how quickly an act of exercising civil liberties can become an act of "domestic terrorism". 😔

--- Quote from: Misato on November 22, 2021, 08:35:41 pm ---Other than that, we can also still try singing a bar of Alice’s Restaurant

--- End quote ---

Alice's Restaurant? ...I dunno what this means. 🤔
...I'm a millennial LOL. 😅

--- Quote from: Misato on November 22, 2021, 08:35:41 pm ---if we find ourselves being injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected, and selected someday.

--- End quote ---

...Oh golly; the irony rotflol. 🤣

Devlyn:
It's a Thanksgiving tradition to join in and sing a bar of Alice's Restaurant the next time it comes around again on the guitar....with feeling.....and three part harmony.  :)

Oldandcreaky:
Women should be drafted. When it comes to lugging 90 pounds of gear, most women are not as capable as most men, but most of the jobs in the military don't require lugging 90 pounds of gear.

Battle Goddess:
To paraphrase the magnificent Milton Friedman, I would rather be protected by an army of mercenaries than an army of slaves.

The draft has always been so illiberal and unfair, from the Civil War on down, that I feel it's a fundamentally corrupt institution. Women, men, whoever: nobody should be subject to involuntary servitude without due process and conviction. 13th Amendment says so.

There's no shortage of young people willing to risk their fool necks in the military.  If you're not recruiting enough, give them better reasons to join. My old econ professor was wont to say, "There's no such thing as a labor shortage. There is such a thing as wages being too low."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version