Author Topic: Thoughts on Women Being Drafted?  (Read 342 times)

Offline Ellie_Jean

• Neighbor
Thoughts on Women Being Drafted?
« on: November 21, 2021, 02:43:37 pm »
Y'all heard about the new possible legislation involving women having to sign up for the draft, right? I'll just assume you have because I can't post the link yet lol. Moving right along:

On the one hand, I agree that requiring women to register for "selective service," (what a stupid name lol), would be a win for gender equality, not to mention it would ensure that I would not be outed as trans should I be drafted in the future, because like most biological boys, I was forced to celebrate my 18th birthday by signing my life over to the government lol. 😜

On the OTHER hand, I disagree with the ENTIRE IDEA of having a draft in the first place lol. My government shouldn't be allowed to order me to wage a war, then call me a felon if I refuse and put me in jail. That's like...the OPPOSITE of freedom, in my opinion. Personally I think they oughta just get rid of "selective service" altogether and trust their citizens to decide for themselves what's actually worth fighting for. It's called independence. America used to be super into it lol. 😅
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 05:48:09 pm by Ellie_Jean »
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark...
In the hopeless swamps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all.
Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration...
For the life you deserved and have never been able to reach.
The world you desire can be won.
It exists.
It is real.
It is possible.
...IT'S YOURS.

-- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged (1957)

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
Re: Thoughts on Women Being Drafted?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 08:53:23 pm »
The United States has not had a draft since the early 1970's. That is almost 50 years ago.

In fact, I was subject to the draft in 1967. I served in the Army in the late 1960's and since that time, the US military has learned to do the same tasks with a lot fewer people, thanks to today's technology.

Additionally, many people today are not elegible to serve in the US military because of past legal problems or psychological issues.

I would not be concerned about being forced to serve in the military any time soon.  :P

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 09:06:33 pm »
I know I hated having to sign up for selective service. Being as there is practically no chance of a draft being invoked, it's probably not going to be a big deal for anyone there days. Now, if they were to start drafting folk, and females were required to sign up, I certainly could see a big baby boom arising out of it. Sure, some women will want to fight for their country, but others would rather make babies.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

I don't have wrinkles. I have wise cracks.

Offline Ellie_Jean

• Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 11:59:19 pm »
The United States has not had a draft since the early 1970's. That is almost 50 years ago.

In fact, I was subject to the draft in 1967. I served in the Army in the late 1960's and since that time, the US military has learned to do the same tasks with a lot fewer people, thanks to today's technology.

Additionally, many people today are not elegible to serve in the US military because of past legal problems or psychological issues.

I would not be concerned about being forced to serve in the military any time soon.  :P

Right? Why do we even still HAVE "selective service"?!

Oh, and I'm not too worried about being drafted at all: I'm a juvenile autistic with complex posttraumatic stress disorder, oppositional defiance disorder, social anxiety disorder, dissociative identity disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and probably late-onset schizophrenia lol. ...I am #UNDRAFTABLE. 🤣

I know I hated having to sign up for selective service. Being as there is practically no chance of a draft being invoked, it's probably not going to be a big deal for anyone there days. Now, if they were to start drafting folk, and females were required to sign up, I certainly could see a big baby boom arising out of it. Sure, some women will want to fight for their country, but others would rather make babies.

Right? The whole idea of drafting people into wars is totally unconstitutional in my opinion. Smh. 😞
It exists.
It is real.
It is possible.
...IT'S YOURS.

Offline Misato

• I thought I was out, but I've been pulled back in.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 08:35:41 pm »
Women should have to sign up for the draft. Not that I think the USA is capable of pulling off a draft today given our deep divisions. We can’t even self-sacrifice to wear masks in a pandemic. But anyway the draft exists, and it’s not right to exclude women when women can do the jobs.

So far the courts have held the Selective Service is constitutional based on Article 1 section 8. The assertion that disliked things are unconstitutional isn’t helpful to discourse. It’ll stick around because elections are won on fear, and any effort to abolish the selective service would be a great tool to whip up paranoia that those behind the effort are, “making us less safe”™.

Other than that, we can also still try singing a bar of Alice’s Restaurant if we find ourselves being injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected, and selected someday.

Offline Evienne

• Do you mind? This is my personal text >.>
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 09:20:15 pm »
Well considering we have plenty of women in the military these days, it only makes sense to me that they should be required as well cuz one second here while I get confused...

WHAT!!!!??? Women don't have to sign up for selective services??? Since when? I never knew that! How odd.

*cough*

...cuz I believe that it's only fair that such a law should apply to both sexes.
But even then, I doubt there would be a draft in the first place. It's kinda just a "just in case" thing because we've learned what a bad idea it is. And even in the worst case scenario, you can resist. You may go to jail, but they can't physically force you to do it. How would they?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 03:18:48 pm by Evienne »
I hereby sign this message to the understanding that it is what I said. You, the viewer, thus abide to the binding of this message to have been abided.

Offline Ellie_Jean

• Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 10:00:49 pm »
Women should have to sign up for the draft.

I agree...only to the extent that I feel if we're going to force young men to sign up for War, then we should also force young women too as well, because women have been whooping butt in battle for literally thousands of years lol. I think it's sexist to say that they aren't as capable of warfare as men are.

...I just disagree with forcing young men and women into a war that they may not understand or believe in. ...It's also a really stupid idea, strictly strategically speak from a military sciences standpoint. A general should only ever want soldiers that WANT to be there. That's basically the whole point of boot camp: To separate the strong from the weak; the wheat from the chaff; the ones who want to be there from the ones who don't want to be there...and those who are there for the wrong reasons. 😕

Not that I think the USA is capable of pulling off a draft today given our deep divisions.

Trust me, the American government has a myriad of different ways of forcing citizens to do pretty much ANYTHING these days lol. Sadly, our government is ridiculously powerful and corrupt. Biden made things pretty clear on national television when he indirectly toyed with the idea of nuking citizens on American soil in regards to gun-rights activists who "think they need guns to protect themselves from the government" LOL. 🤣

We can’t even self-sacrifice to wear masks in a pandemic.

I'm an asthmatic autistic; it's not so much that I disagree with masks, it's that I get itchy and sweaty and panicky and start hyperventilating and end up with an anxiety-induced asthma attack. I wash my hands a lot though, and I hate being outside of my windowless bedroom because it's way too bright and loud...sooo, yeah, I don't wear a mask. Everybody should have the right to make choices in regards to their own health and body; always been super pro-choice for obvious reasons lol. The government should never try to take a cookie-cutter approach to policies that affect approximately 330 million people. ....Other than that I have no opinion LOL. 😅

But anyway the draft exists, and it’s not right to exclude women when women can do the jobs.

Totally and completely agree lol. 💯

So far the courts have held the Selective Service is constitutional based on Article 1 section 8.

...I'm gonna need you to be more specific than that lol; in exactly which Clause of Article 1 Section 8 does it say the government has the right to force citizens into battle against their will??? 🧐

The assertion that disliked things are unconstitutional isn’t helpful to discourse.

Totally agree. I'm just unaware of which specific Clause of Article 1 Section 8 it says the Government can force citizens into battle against their will lol. I don't remember learning about the Constitutional reasoning behind the draft in social studies...especially considering that the Selective Training and Service Act wasn't written until 1940 lol...I wasn't a super great student though because I was confined to the Special Ed class with the other developmentally disabled kids; I could totally be mistaken and not know too much about all of that silly adult mumbo jumbo hehehe! 🤪

It’ll stick around because elections are won on fear, and any effort to abolish the selective service would be a great tool to whip up paranoia that those behind the effort are, “making us less safe”™.

Dark view...definitely some truth to it though. The current rhetoric and accusations against "anti-vaxxers" and "anti-maskers" is a prime example lol. ...Kinda funny in a terrifying sorta way just how quickly an act of exercising civil liberties can become an act of "domestic terrorism". 😔

Other than that, we can also still try singing a bar of Alice’s Restaurant

Alice's Restaurant? ...I dunno what this means. 🤔
...I'm a millennial LOL. 😅

if we find ourselves being injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected, and selected someday.

...Oh golly; the irony rotflol. 🤣
It exists.
It is real.
It is possible.
...IT'S YOURS.

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 01:48:37 am »
It's a Thanksgiving tradition to join in and sing a bar of Alice's Restaurant the next time it comes around again on the guitar....with feeling.....and three part harmony.  :)
Veteran, US Army

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 11:49:55 am »
Women should be drafted. When it comes to lugging 90 pounds of gear, most women are not as capable as most men, but most of the jobs in the military don't require lugging 90 pounds of gear.

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 03:14:51 pm »
To paraphrase the magnificent Milton Friedman, I would rather be protected by an army of mercenaries than an army of slaves.

The draft has always been so illiberal and unfair, from the Civil War on down, that I feel it's a fundamentally corrupt institution. Women, men, whoever: nobody should be subject to involuntary servitude without due process and conviction. 13th Amendment says so.

There's no shortage of young people willing to risk their fool necks in the military.  If you're not recruiting enough, give them better reasons to join. My old econ professor was wont to say, "There's no such thing as a labor shortage. There is such a thing as wages being too low."
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Freedom comes at a high price. But I have paid that price, and I am free." -- Muhammad Ali

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline Battle Goddess

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 03:20:22 pm »

WHAT!!!!??? Women don't have to sign up for selective services??? Since when? I never knew that! How odd.

*cough*

If memory serves, it was Jimmy Carter who put registration in place. Reagan kept calling him soft on defense, and registration was meant to counter that perception. Go figure that Carter had already ramped up defense spending enormously.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

"Freedom comes at a high price. But I have paid that price, and I am free." -- Muhammad Ali

"Have a gentle manner ❤️" -- Chrissy Ryan
"Working on it" -- Battle Goddess

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline Ellie_Jean

• Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2021, 06:16:14 pm »
It's a Thanksgiving tradition to join in and sing a bar of Alice's Restaurant the next time it comes around again on the guitar....with feeling.....and three part harmony.  :)

I'll hafta research it. 😁
It exists.
It is real.
It is possible.
...IT'S YOURS.

Offline Ellie_Jean

• Neighbor
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2021, 06:25:58 pm »
To paraphrase the magnificent Milton Friedman, I would rather be protected by an army of mercenaries than an army of slaves.

The draft has always been so illiberal and unfair, from the Civil War on down, that I feel it's a fundamentally corrupt institution. Women, men, whoever: nobody should be subject to involuntary servitude without due process and conviction. 13th Amendment says so.

There's no shortage of young people willing to risk their fool necks in the military.  If you're not recruiting enough, give them better reasons to join. My old econ professor was wont to say, "There's no such thing as a labor shortage. There is such a thing as wages being too low."

🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰
It exists.
It is real.
It is possible.
...IT'S YOURS.

Tags: